Making a 12:30 flight out of LAX (Diamond)

marciemi

When we booked this many months ago, I called Princess and asked. At the time we were reserved Spirit tickets for 12:10 and Princess assured me that I would have no problems making this flight, even though their "official" recommendation was 1:00pm. They recommended we use their transfers in order to make it smoother. About a month ago, Spirit cancelled my flights, and I switched to Northwest with a flight time of 12:35, which seemed even better. Today my TA called me saying she'd been notified by Princess that my flight time didn't meet Princess' guidelines for transfers.

She was calling them back tomorrow, but what are your opinions? Will we not be able to make this flight (the next one out is 10:30pm)? I know there have been some recent posts about problems with immigrations at San Pedro, but it still sounds like with early tags people are off by 8:30 or so. Will we not be allowed to use transfers? How readily available are cabs once you disembark? I've also read about supershuttle - is that a better option?

Thanks for any help, recommendations, etc.!

We just got off the Island Princess with a flight at 10:55 AM and had plenty of time. Take a copy of the flight times to show at the pursers desk for early baggage tags. It also helps to carry off your luggage but should not make a big difference. Hope this helps. A cab was $47 to LAX much cheaper then transfers.:)

Bernie - thanks for all your help over the last few weeks. Were there taxis right there where you disembark or was it a long walk? Were there enough so you didn't have to wait? Am I correct that you're suggesting not doing the shuttle going to the airport then?

My TA called and Princess called her back today and said we are allowed to take their shuttle but they can't promise that we'll make our flight if we do. The whole reason we signed up for the shuttle service was because they told us that was the most expedient way to get to the airport which would improve our chances of making the flight. Not?

Colo - is the Island also out of San Pedro? I'm not sure. If you carry off your luggage, does it have to be carryon size, do you go up stairs, or is it smooth going if you have wheeled bags?

Thanks again for help!

The Island is out of San Pedro and the luggage does not have to be carry on size. Wheeled bags are fine if you can handle them all. But if you have a lot of big bags then have them pick them up the night before and collect them on the pier. Just make sure you have those early red tags first group off on your bags. The shuttle has to wait to fill up so it will take a lot longer. The cab for $47 total is much cheaper and faster. :)

There are many cabs waiting outside the Diamond pier, walk across the street to the taxi stands. Do not under any circumstances wait for a shuttle or a bus. Get the tags to get off as early as possible and you will be OK with your flight time. But make a beeline thru all the departure lines

Although I am not the OP, I have been following this thread, and I thank you all for the responses. (And to the OP for asking the question.) We have a 12:45 flight out of LAX and our TA assured us it would be no problem. Thank you for confirming. :)

when you walk out of the terminal with your luggage, we walked across a street (really more of a dropoff lane) and there was a taxi stand with taxis lined up as far as the eye could see. There were also individual shuttle vans trying to sell you a ticket. The princess transfers were for bug huge buses. You have to wait for them to get filled is my understanding of how it worked. It was about a 30 minute ride and we were at the airport by 9:30 ish. The only problem with disembarking was the immigration and all the people who huddled arounf the gangplank even thought they made repeated announcements not to. Immigration in the terminal was tight, tighter than I have ever seen before and I have traveled to several different countries since 9/11.

You shouldn't have any trouble making a 12:35PM flight. Make sure you get Red 1 or Red 2 luggage tags and you'll be among the first off.

Also, I don't know what the number of passengers in a car is required to get into the high-capacity lane but it's worth it to take a van to ensure you get into this lane. We did and just whizzed past miles of stopped cars. If I'd been in a taxi, I would have been stuck in traffic.

hi we were just on the diamond october 9th and took the supershuttle our flight was at 1215pm! and we made it in plenty of time for 15pp for supershuttle , taxi was 40 dollars, so super shuttle is great filled up fast and driver was very nice! Becky

I really appreciate everyone's help. I'll talk to Mom tomorrow, but think I will cancel the Princess transfers on the way to the airport (I think I'll keep them for going there unless everyone thinks supershuttle or a taxi is better then too). The transfers weren't that expensive - $50 pp round trip, so not too much more than $40 for a cab each way with tip and I think she'd prefer to sit comfortably in a bus than crammed in a cab. Don't know about supershuttle - we'll see. She'll understand the necessity for one of those on the way to the airport, however. Maybe when we get off we'll see if a supershuttle is close to filling and jump in, and if we're the first or no one's around trying to go to LAX at the time, we just grab a cab. Thanks again!!

just an FYI, HOV rules were two or more people and the cab driver makes one and you make two so no cabs should be in a regular lane, they should all (and ours did) use the High Occupancy Vehicle lanes. Also, most of the cabs we saw were not cabs of olden days, they were mini-vans with plenty of room so if you're just 2 people you wouldn't be crammed or squished at all.

hi we were just on the diamond october 9th and took the supershuttle our flight was at 1215pm! and we made it in plenty of time for 15pp for supershuttle , taxi was 40 dollars, so super shuttle is great filled up fast and driver was very nice! Becky

or you can just board one with seats available ?

Archived