Can you get an upgrade even though you do not book a guarentee??

rene194215

This happened to us THREE times and I am paranoid that it will happen again on our upcoming cruise. The first time was a mess, they called the room an upgrade, but it was loud and noisy, by the motors I think - it was the Old Celebration and that thing was loud. The second was on Princess, I picked a balcony mid ship, they "upgraded" us to a higher deck, same cabin. That was okay, no complaints. This last time, I had my RCCI hump cabin reserved for nearly a year and one day while checking my reservation, I find that I was moved again to a higher deck, higher category - I was furious and called and insisted that I get my hump cabin back. Lesson learned, if you really don't want to be upgraded, call and have the TA put that in your file - and also note, not all upgrades are really upgrades - in my eyes. I have it in my Carnival file - NO UPGRADES - but I still check every day to make sure my cabin has not been changed.

We booked a specific balcony cabin with our TA this December. Later the same day she booked it, Carnival called and offered us a mini-suite for the same price. Did a little fast checking on the location of the new cabin (it was fine--midships) and jumped on it.

Mini-suites were going for nearly $600 pp more than the balcony cabin we booked, so we got a great deal, and it does happen.

Archived