Can you get an upgrade even though you do not book a guarentee??

rene194215

I am just wondering if you can be upgraded if you book and choose your cabin. I know that sometimes when you book a guarentee you can get an upgrade this way. And spcifically if Carnoval does this. Thanks!!

No, once you book a specific cabin, thats pretty much it. Some people are called and asked if they would like an upgrade for an additional price. But thats never happened to me.

Fred

I am just wondering if you can be upgraded if you book and choose your cabin. I know that sometimes when you book a guarentee you can get an upgrade this way. And spcifically if Carnoval does this. Thanks!!

This does happen on occasion. I specifically booked a room on Disney and when I got to the port, they told me they changed the room. I was mad about it because I picked the room to be sure of what was around me. I did not argue to keep the room though but I did express my displeasure. Much to my surprise, I went from an oceanview to a balcony! I was very happy once I entered the room. I am so glad I did not insist to have the original room! I don't think it happens often though.

Aleece

That would suck because people book specific cabins for a reason, one could be due to motion sickness, they would rather be low and center on the ship, a suite would of created problems for a motion sickness person. Or lets say maybe its a handicap cabin and all of the sudden you arrive at the ship and was upgraded to a non-handicap cabin. Like me I prefer to be close to the elevators. That would be a mess.

Fred

That would suck because people book specific cabins for a reason, one could be due to motion sickness, they would rather be low and center on the ship, a suite would of created problems for a motion sickness person. Or lets say maybe its a handicap cabin and all of the sudden you arrive at the ship and was upgraded to a non-handicap cabin. Like me I prefer to be close to the elevators. That would be a mess.

Fred

I agree. I think it is extremely uncommon. In fact, I'm shocked that it happenned to two posters on this thread. I have heard that people who booked specific cabins have been called prior to the cruise and offerred an upgrade, but have never heard of anyone having their cabin changed without their knowledge or permission. Technically, they can move you, but it doesn't happen much. I wouldn't count on it.

The only time that has happened is when we call for a price adjustment. We actually denied an upgrade this year, because the available cabins were in the front of the ship, and I have to be in the middle no matter what.

I book a specific for a reason, and although it is Carnival's good intentions, I would be upset if they upgraded me with no notice.

Catrin

A few years back on the Miracle the wife and I were sailing with 2 other couples. All 3 couples booked cabins next to each other on the same deck and linked the booking for the same table assignement and all. None of the bookings were guarantee, all were specific cabin assignements. Some time after booking 2 couples were moved leaving all 3 couples on different floors.

The 2 that were moved were nice upgrades so no one really complained but it definitely does happen.

This does happen on occasion. I specifically booked a room on Disney and when I got to the port, they told me they changed the room. I was mad about it because I picked the room to be sure of what was around me. I did not argue to keep the room though but I did express my displeasure. Much to my surprise, I went from an oceanview to a balcony! I was very happy once I entered the room. I am so glad I did not insist to have the original room! I don't think it happens often though.

Aleece

if this had happen d to me..and i got upset..i think i d make a point to

go to the front desk and give them my heart felt thank s..:D

we booked specific cabins through a carnival pvp. when she couldn't match a competitor's pricing, we transferred the booking to a ta, keeping the same cabins. however, one day when i went to check our docs online, i noticed one cabin had been moved up 3 decks. i contacted the ta & she got the other room moved up next door to it. she mentioned something to the effect that they had 2 people booked into a cabin for 4, so they moved that booking to accomodate someone else. at any rate, we got moved from deck 6 to deck 9 and from back to front. it worked out fine for us & i think we would have been satisfied regardless of which room we ended up in.

IF my cabin were upgraded except to maybe a cat 12 suite I would be very upset because i prefer middle of the ship horizonally and vertically. but i think carnival would call you if they did upgrade you. although somtime i hear of upgrades to better rooms as long as they are comparable to where in the ship it is i wouldnt complain if it was a better and bigger room :D

Yes bit it is not going to happen like you think. Carnival will often offer you an upgrade to a different level of cabin BUT it is not a free upgrade it is an offer to purchase a different cabin.

Is it an upgrade, well, in my mind it seems to be one, but it is not what most people think of when they think of upgrades. True upgrades as I define them, from one cabin type to another (inside to ocean view, etc.) are very rare even with gty bookings. IMO if you book a gty moving from deck to deck is not an upgrade it is the luck of the draw, becuase you are getting exactly what you bargined for, a cabin in a class.

We had two specific cabins booked and they changed us from riviera to empress deck without asking or notifying us. They said it was to accomodate a group booking. I was fine with the higher deck, but they had us under the galley. I whined a little:o , and they offered obc, so I took it, lol. I just wished they told us when they did it, cause it had me wondering. So it can happen, I just don't think it happens very often.

Karen

Our last cruise on the Legend we were called and asked if we would like to be upgraded to a Cat. 11. I said absolutely. I had booked a specific 8A balcony, and the upgrade was comp. We really enjoyed the Cat. 11 mini suite.

Only once. 15 of 18 cruises, I chose our cabin. On my last cruise on the Sensation in May my daughter and I were in an oceanview cabin on the main deck which I picked. A few days before our cruise I received a call from my PVP and she told me that Carnival had upgraded us to a cat 12 suite. I asked her why and she said because one was still available and they decided to give it to me. What really surprised me about this was that you would have thought someone that had booked a gty would have gotten this upgrade.

Quite a surprise! I had read that a few other posters on this board had been upgraded from an assigned cabin but wasn't sure if I believed it or not.

Now I do.

Just happened to us last week.

We have never booked a GTY because we have a special needs son who could not sleep in an Upper. We always select our cabin.

We booked an Interior Spa on the Splendor (because when we booked there were only 2 Spa cabins left...both interior...not that hubby would spring for a Balcony any way)

Got a call from Carnival asking us if we wanted to Upgrade to a SPA Balcony.

At first I thought...ok, how much!

But then they said this was a complimentary upgrade if we wanted it...and I said SURE.

First time this has ever happened to us....so that does show you how rare it is.

We usually get our upgrades when we book. We will pay for a 6A and our PVP will allow us to pick a 6C (sometimes a 6D).

Thanks everyone! I was concerend because we choose our cabin specifiacally to be mid ship on a lower deck. This is going to be my first cruise and I just want to be sure I do not get sick (knock on wood)

By the looks of it, seems like a very small chance that our cabin would be changed. Although, a suite would be nice:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone! I was concerend because we choose our cabin specifiacally to be mid ship on a lower deck. This is going to be my first cruise and I just want to be sure I do not get sick (knock on wood)

By the looks of it, seems like a very small chance that our cabin would be changed. Although, a suite would be nice:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a small chance - but last year my wife and I booked a back to back in an inside/lower cabin and got upgraded to an outside/lower/window (both mid-ship). I could've lived without it - but loved having it!

Two years ago it happened to us on the Glory. We'd booked a standard balcony, picked a cabin and had received our documents, luggage tags for it, etc. About a month before departure, the called and asked us if we'd like a free upgrade to a Cat11 Suite. We said "heck yeah!" and they had to send us new documents. We even got the "VIP" boarding.

Needless to say, we felt a bit spoiled after that.

If you have been assigned/chosen a specific cabin, you can always say "no thanks", but saying "a suite would be nice" is an understatement :)

It happened to us, it was our sailing on Celebration, we were booked in a cabin on Main and the week before the cruise, I got home from work and had a message in voice mail from Carnival saying we had been upgraded to Empress. So yes it can happen, we were happy though, less stairs.:D

Archived