So how common are these upgrades?

I am reading about many people getting upgrades with their guarantee booking. But how common are they?

It seems at least 50% of people get upgraded but maybe it just seems that way because people talk about upgrades more than getting the cabin they expected...?

Question in my mind is what is an upgrade. If I book a gty cabin IMO it is not an upgrade unless I move to a different type of cabin, in other words book an inside and get an ocean view. A lot of people define an upgrade as moving up a deck within the same type stateroom. To me since I booked a gty that is not an upgrade.

I think it is very common to be moved from deck to deck with a gty, b ut not very common to be moved from inside to outside, etc.

I guess a lot of it is in definitions.

Question in my mind is what is an upgrade. If I book a gty cabin IMO it is not an upgrade unless I move to a different type of cabin, in other words book an inside and get an ocean view. A lot of people define an upgrade as moving up a deck within the same type stateroom. To me since I booked a gty that is not an upgrade.

I think it is very common to be moved from deck to deck with a gty, b ut not very common to be moved from inside to outside, etc.

I guess a lot of it is in definitions.

Well I think your wrong, lets say like me I have a balcony gtg right now, so the lowest I can be would be deck 6, (first deck with balcony) and lets say I paid the lowest amount, so now if I was upgraded to say the lido deck, which would cost alot more then deck 6, then to me that is an upgrade. So I guess it's all how you look at it. Two years ago, I booked an inside gtg on the Glory, which meant I would start on Riveria, I ended up on the lido deck, which if thats what I booked, would have cost me alot more, then the gtg price I paid.

Happy cruising

First of all, you must book a "GUARANTEE" category cabin. Most all upgrades go to those who allow Carnival to assign them to a cabin at their convenience. Second, most upgrades are within the category booked. If you book Cat 4 guarantee, you'll probably be upgraded to Maybe Cat 4B or 4C. That's an upgrade of a few decks but still within the same Cat. Even if you get the lowest cabin they can assign, Cat 4A, you still make out because a Cat 4 guarantee is cheaper than a Cat 4A. Best I've done was Cat 4 guarantee upgraded to Cat 6E family stateroom which is a DYNAMITE upgrade.

Booked outside GTY on the Miracle, got a partial view Balcony

Booked outside GTY on the Destiny, got an outside room (no upgrade)

Nothing to do with the room, but had a bad experience. Wrote a very strong letter to uncle Bob, and was given credit on a future booking, as well as on board credits. Thought they were attempting to make good, so I..

Booked inside GTY on the Miracle (2nd time), and was upgraded to a balcony (perhaps my letter had someting to do with it?)

Booked inside GTY on the Glory (A month to go Hoo-Ray!) and was assigned an ocean view.

So it appears to be 75%. Of course, you have to book what level you'd be comfortable with, because if you book a GTY, then you may very well just get that level.

Unless they change it in a little over a week, the gty I booked for the Inspiration landed me on the exact deck I paid for, in a location that I would not have chosen. We'll make the best of it, of course, and very much look forward to the cruise, but I think I'll choose my cabin next time.

There is a great article that explains your chances on different Carnival ships of being upgraded. Go to cruise-travel-review dot com ( keep the hyphens in)and scroll down tot he article that is titles cabin selections tips.

You would think reading CC that it happens all the time... but how many people start a special thread to say "Hey, I booked a GTY and got exactly what I paid for!!!" :p LOL I book close to 2 years out and the most we usually get is a several deck upgrade, never a new category... I'm not complaining, that's what I booked... but it's not as common as you would think it is by reading these boards.

And folks have to remember that just by booking a GTY, you save a little money per person than picking your cabin.

We have to pick our cabin because of our Special Needs son....but we actually got a call from Carnival asking us if it would be ok to move us from an Interior Spa to a Balcony Spa. We said of course, thank you.

Now technically that is only a "one move" upgrade on the Splendor...but what a move!!

But from what I understand ... it is rare for someone who has selected their cabin to receive an upgrade out of the blue.

I know it was a first for us.

However, I will have to say that we generally receive our upgrade when we book our cabin. I will call my PVP and pay for a 6A and then he will usually allow me to pick a cabin that is a 6C (sometimes a 6D).

Lucy that is so right.

I have booked many gty's. The best upgrade was on my first cruise with Carnival. This seems to happen a lot. I booked 4gty and got a OV on the Empress deck which was a great location on the Fantasy class ships. Twice I did a suit gty and got 12 instead of 11. Twice I booked 1A and got 4A, which in my book is a downgrade. So, three times I feel I got "upgraded". Most time not so.

There is a great article that explains your chances on different Carnival ships of being upgraded. Go to cruise-travel-review dot com ( keep the hyphens in)and scroll down tot he article that is titles cabin selections tips.

Great website, thanks for that!

In June We booked IS and got a 5A porthole on insiration. In 2 weeks time on the Glory we booked IS again and got a 6A ocean view. I consider these upgrades. We have also once booked IS and got a 4A. Two out of 3 aint bad as the song goes.

Archived