Room Service

rarescrambler

We've only been on a couple cruises (only one on HAL), but as I recall, the room service menu was a list of pre-printed items. Is it possible to order something from room service that's not on that card? I get the feeling you are because of other things I've read on CC, but how does one go about this? (Gotta have my Eggs Benedict, which I'm sure aren't on the card.)

TIA for your responses.

Yes you can "write in" other items on the room service order form. My husband did this for the chocolate crossiants. The catch is the dining room must be open to write things in. If your delivery time is earlier than breakfast hours for the dining room then you have to choose from the pre-printed stuff. But after the dining room opens, you can have your eggs benedict delivered. Hope this helps. And enjoy your cruise! :D

And for dinner, you can order anything that's on that evening's dining room menu, as long as you place your order within a certain time (half an hour, I think, but check on board) after the dining room first opens - for delivery at any time during dining room hours. If you are in a suite with Neptune Lounge privileges, the room steward will deliver copies of that evening's menu each morning, and if you don't want to be tied to the phone during the first hour of dinner, the concierge can place your order for you. If you're not in a suite, you can view the menu posted outside the dining room, and also the bartenders at the various bars may have a copy - just ask.

There is also a fairly extensive regular room service menu available during lunch and dinner hours, and a small but thoughtful selection of 24-hour items.

So if you happen to be on an excursion that leaves about 4:00 p.m. and goes until, say 9:00 p.m. you will not be able to order from the dinner menu? I ask this since we hope to do the Bioluminescence tour in Puerto Rico and I believe we will be gone during the dinner hour.

I am thinking it would be a good idea to order room service breakfast on port days when we are trying to get off the ship early, for instance St. Petersburg on our upcoming Baltic cruise. However, it seems like a lot of other passengers will be trying the same thing, how can so many passengers all get room service at say 6:30 to 7:00 in the morning?

I am thinking it would be a good idea to order room service breakfast on port days when we are trying to get off the ship early, for instance St. Petersburg on our upcoming Baltic cruise. However, it seems like a lot of other passengers will be trying the same thing, how can so many passengers all get room service at say 6:30 to 7:00 in the morning?

CCKelly - IIRC you're sailing the Prinsendam to the Baltics? If so, with the smaller pax load it will not be a problem for you eating breakfast in the Lido. We also did the Baltics on the Prinsendam & toured each port (including STP) independently. We ate breakfast in the Lido each morning & managed to be among the first off the ship every day. In our experience, it's been hit-or-miss with breakfast room service on other HAL ships & we didn't want to risk it on such a port-intensive itinerary where every minute counts!

So if you happen to be on an excursion that leaves about 4:00 p.m. and goes until, say 9:00 p.m. you will not be able to order from the dinner menu? I ask this since we hope to do the Bioluminescence tour in Puerto Rico and I believe we will be gone during the dinner hour.

You may want to check with the dining room on that day to see what you can do about dinner.

If as you say your tour doesn't get back until 9 PM even the Lido will be closed by that time for dinner.

We have been on several ships when there were large numbers of people scheduled to take tours at the same time.

We have received a letter the evening before warning everyone that they expect the kitchen to be very busy the next morning and that many breakfasts will not be delivered at the scheduled time. And they encouraged people to eat in the Lido.

Do they bring room service items on trays or do they bring a table like they do at hotels? I would imagine that the cabin may not be able to accomodate those tables, but I am wondering where you would sit and eat dinner. We have a balcony but I am still not sure what tables are in there that you could actually eat on. Also, I have read most people tip $2 in cash for the person delivering the food. Is this customary for dinner and for 4 people as well? It kind of seems low for dinner, but I am not sure because my tips are usually reflective of the bill and since there will not be one....

Do they bring room service items on trays or do they bring a table like they do at hotels? I would imagine that the cabin may not be able to accomodate those tables, but I am wondering where you would sit and eat dinner. We have a balcony but I am still not sure what tables are in there that you could actually eat on. Also, I have read most people tip $2 in cash for the person delivering the food. Is this customary for dinner and for 4 people as well? It kind of seems low for dinner, but I am not sure because my tips are usually reflective of the bill and since there will not be one....

I think I remember seeing that you are in a suite. If so there is a table for 4 on the veranda. Sail7Seas wrote a while ago that they had their dinner delivered on a rolling table, I forget which ship, probably Maasdam. I think this is something new and may not be yet available fleet-wide.

We have never ordered dinner in, just breakfast, and breakfast on the veranda is wonderful. There is also a round glass-top coffee table in the suites. The S and R class ships have height-adjustable oblong tables in regular veranda cabins and round tables for 4 on the veranda in suites.

Did you know that suite guests may eat breakfast at the Pinnacle? It's a wonderful perk, at least for us.

We tip according to the size of the meal and the number of people, anywhere from $2 for coffee service, or $5-10 for a larger order.

GN

I think I remember seeing that you are in a suite. If so there is a table for 4 on the veranda. Sail7Seas wrote a while ago that they had their dinner delivered on a rolling table, I forget which ship, probably Maasdam. I think this is something new and may not be yet available fleet-wide.

We have never ordered dinner in, just breakfast, and breakfast on the veranda is wonderful. There is also a round glass-top coffee table in the suites. The S and R class ships have height-adjustable oblong tables in regular veranda cabins and round tables for 4 on the veranda in suites.

Did you know that suite guests may eat breakfast at the Pinnacle? It's a wonderful perk, at least for us.

We tip according to the size of the meal and the number of people, anywhere from $2 for coffee service, or $5-10 for a larger order.

GN

Thanks! We are in a regular balcony this time but plan on a suite for Alalska next Spring if all goes well on the Eurodam! Thanks for the advice on the tipping.

I love eggs benedict for breakfast and before my first HAL cruise, I read on here that a member just wrote it on the menu the night before and it arrived right on time and hot!

I can vouch for that. I had delicious eggs benedict for breakfast every day of my cruise at 8:30am on the veranda of my mini suite. It was always served hot and it really started the day off great for me. I did tip the waiter $2.

Travalarie,

I just read a post from Brian about the hassocks on Eurodam having covers that open and become a tray table. Aside from that, there's a vanity, and a coffee table inside, and a small table, 2 chairs and wide foot stools on the veranda in a standard veranda cabin on Vistas and Eurodam.

The standard veranda cabins on S and R class are actually bigger than on the newer ships.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, I thought I had read that you booked a suite.

GN

Thanks MightyQuinn and KK, it sounds like it is best to head for the Lido, and try to get a quick breakfast before early tours. Glad to hear that the Lido on the Prinsendam isn't too crowded. Long lines and not being able to find a table at 7:00 in the morning could be a little irritating.

We have been on several ships when there were large numbers of people scheduled to take tours at the same time.

We have received a letter the evening before warning everyone that they expect the kitchen to be very busy the next morning and that many breakfasts will not be delivered at the scheduled time. And they encouraged people to eat in the Lido.

The night before a brief port stop in Kethchikan, the cabin steward delivered a message advising that room service would be especially busy the next morning, due to many excursions leaving at the same time.

Archived