Dolphin?

Was on the Dolphin IV for my senior cruise in '81...great food and service. I remember our cabin steward, Ochta, got us late night (early morning) sandwiches from somewhere! Also remember the captain announcing that they had disembarked a passenger for diving from an upper deck of the ship into Nassau harbor as the local Bahmians used to do. I still remember how clear that water was...you could see a silver dollar on the bottom in 30' of water! My wife loves cruising and the kids are now hooked as well! The saddest part of all the old ships disappearing is not being able to preserve bits and pieces of them! The picture is of the Dolphin IV on the beach at Alang, India. She's long gone, but the memories and the folklore remain...doubt we'll ever experience a live show of someone making a 70' dive off the side of a ship again or having to travel aft in order to make your way forward!

alg-dolphin.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
My first cruise was on Dolphin Cruise Line's Seabreeze, and I remember how the size of the ship amazed me. Then this year I went on the Carnival Legend and realized it could probably hold three Seabreezes!

I heard that the Seabreeze "mysteriously" sank, no one on board.

I still have fond memories of that first cruise, and hope to continue cruising every year. You can't beat the value for a vacation!

Our first cruise was on the Seasbreeze as well. I loved that ship!

My first cruise was on the Dolphin IV in December, 1993. I do remember the food being excellent and do not remember the ship appearing very old. Of course, it was my first cruise, so I thought everything was wonderful. The ship did seem very small and you could feel loads of movement. My husband was seasick the entire time! I was saddened to hear the ultimate fate of the ship, but appreciate the history provided by others. Thanks for the memories!

Our first cruise was also on the Dolphin IV. I remember sitting on the floor leaning up against a cushion in the show lounge. I also remember all the layers of varnish and paint everywhere on the ship, even on the shuffle board and ping pong table. Things have really changed. It was a great beginning. If it wasn't for the Dolphin IV, we may never had started our obsession with cruising:) .

• 2 weeks later...

I took a cruise on this ship in the early 90s when it was still under Dolphin...it was a GREAT trip. The service couldn't have been better for this class of ship. I went again after it was purchased by Cape Canveral and it was absoutely horrible. Their management was by far from par so no shocker they went under. I still remember that first trip...she took my cruiseinity.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey All,

I was the cruise director on the Dolphin IV....for a short stint when she was still with DCL, (1995) and then for a year and a half when she was with Cape Canaveral. Although she was old, and a little beat up, I had the most wonderful time on her...it was certainly lacking in a lot of amenities, but I think the staff and crew worked extra hard to make up for it, and I hope we gave some people a memorable experience.

It saddens me to think of her beached in India, and torn apart.....but I guess it happens to us all in one way or another eventually...right?

By the way, if anyone is cruising the Caribbean Princess this summer, I will be on board as part of the duo in the Wheelhouse Lounge. Please stop by and say hello to myself and my partner Faline. We are called "Elua".

Aloha,

David

I remember when I went in the early 90's, there was a little old man in a captains hat that was supposedly the captain of the ship when it was the Ithaca. Does anyone know who I am talking about? He just didn't look like a captain.

Wow - so glad I found this thread! My family (my sister, parents and I) took our first cruise on the Dolphin IV in 1988, I think? We thought it was great! We had nothing to compare it to - so we were thrilled with the whole thing! It was my senior year of high school, and I remember meeting a great group of kids my age, and I even had a little ship-board romance! I also remember doing lots of under-age drinking in the Disco in the bottom of the ship - and I remember the ship's doctor there hanging out with all of us teenagers and buying us drinks. Looking back, I now realize how horrid that is!

That cruise had a hige impact on my family - my parents now cruise many times per year in their retirement, and I'm a travel agent - specializing in cruises! who knew?!?!

My very first cruise was on the Dolphin out of Miami to the Bahamas. My dad passed away in 1981 and my mom was living in Florida at the time. I went with her, I believe in 1982, on a trip with senior citizens from her mobile home village in Ruskin FL. I was the youngest in the group at age 25; my mom was second youngest at age 53. (We were seated at a table with women ranging in ages from I'd say 70-100!) We ran into a bad storm and the cruising was less than smooth. Although it wasn't totally perfect, it did provide me with some quality time with my mom, and some family friends (who have since passed on). (My mom and I still share stories about that trip!) Plus it introduced me to cruising. (And, that can't be bad!!) :)

• 2 weeks later...

My first cruise was on the Oceanbreeze. It included free airfare. It was wonderful. The cabins were spacious and staff absolutely the most courteous. The decks had plenty of music, plenty to drink (cheap) and lots of space. It had one main dining room ...but the food was fabulous. The people were all happy and everything was perfect every night. They KNEW exactly what each person would drink and had it waiting for them.

I did get seasick, but the staff brought me my dining room meal rather than any room service. They went above and beyond to make me well.

The ease of embarkation and shore excursions made me love cruising.

We still ...12 cruises later...look at those photos and know in our hearts it was a really great experience.

The ship may not have been fancy, but it was clean and nice and small. You got to know so many of the passengers and crew in that special week.

THe ports were fabulous. It sailed to Southern Caribbean out of Aruba or Barbados, not sure which. Our airfare included a stay within Florida the night before enroute.

We were young....and probably the youngest onboard.

Skeet shooting off the back was a real treat. I was called Annie Oakley all week and made the cruise lines some money as all the men tried to beat me!

Those were the days. What? Handing a shotgun over to a passenger? Are you kidding?!#$%^&

I continue to believe that service is what the industry is all about. A cruise ship can be beautiful, but without the great service, it is nothing.

On the Oceanbreeze, the service was the best.

Whatever happened to her?

I am so glad I found this - I just finished researching the Dolphin IV and its fate and was saddened to learn of its demise in 2004 in India. I cruised on the "Leetle ship with a BIG heart", as Captain Galiatsatos used to say, a number of times from 1994-1997, and had the time of my life. I became friends with the Captain, and brought my parents on the ship to celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. They were treated like royalty and it was thanks to the sweet and thoughtful crew and staff that we had such an amazing time. The food was always outstanding and while the ship was small and dated, I have never had a better cruising experience since the Dolphin. I also went on the Seabreeze in 1995. I have been on a number of ships since that time (like many here, my Dolphin experience made me fall in love with cruising) but I have never found the sense of belonging that I had on this ship. Thanks to everyone who has posted on here for bringing back some cherished memories and keeping the spirit of the little Dolphin IV and her "family" alive. By the way, I think the Oceanbreeze is still in service, just under a different name.

I see that several of the people on here used to work on the Dolphin IV. Does anyone know what became of Captain Kostas Galiatsatos? He and my family became friends but we lost touch with him. I read on a website that a captain with his name passed away at sea in 2004. If anyone knows, please post a reply.:confused:

I wont say anything bad about this ship, it was a fun little cruise. Comparing it to the ships now is not fair. Sad to see them scrapping the ships one by one but if i owned them or was a stock holder i'd think a little different

Our first cruise was aboard the Dolphin IV. Cozy little honeymoon on a bed the size of a postage stamp. Well there were two beds, but they couldn't be moved together. We went to Key West, Nassau, and Blue Lagoon island. What good food, and cool old conga line/midnight buffet/bingo people with huge sunglasses and black socks! Sad to see her all rusty... Still have the beachtowel!

Thanks for the memories on this post!

• 2 weeks later...
I see that several of the people on here used to work on the Dolphin IV. Does anyone know what became of Captain Kostas Galiatsatos? He and my family became friends but we lost touch with him. I read on a website that a captain with his name passed away at sea in 2004. If anyone knows, please post a reply.:confused:

Hi I am also a former Dolphin (& Majesty) Cruise Line employee and LOVED the wonderful time I spent there. I have many fond memories of the times I spent at the office and onboard our beautiful ships...Dolphin IV, SeaBreeze I, OceanBreeze and Royal Majesty. (We also had the IslandBreeze which I never had the pleasure to sail on). I actually was one of the employees that named the SeaBreeze.

Anyway to answer your question...I am sorry to report that Captain Galiatsatos did pass away back in 2004 while he was the Master (Captain) of the Topaz (owned by one of the previous owners of Dolphin). I heard he suffered a massive heart attack and died onboard. We were all saddened to hear his passing.

If anyone on this board is a past DCL/MCL employee, please let me know. I am still involved in the industry. I am now with Oceania Cruises in charge of the Reservations Department.

I LOVE CRUISING!!!

Hey Charlie cruiser

I didn't work for Dolphin but you mentioned that the previous owner had a ship . Are they operating under another name or was it a private ship?

I would truly like to find that kind of service again.

Seeyaaaa'

Jeff

One of the previous part owners of Dolphin Cruise Line, Capt. Paris Katsoufis, opened a company (KYMAS Shipping) that owns two ships (Topaz and Mona Lisa...soon to be the ScholarShip) and operates them for cruise lines that charter them. It is not the same as the Dolphin ships as basically their agreement is to do the marine operations and the cruise charters run the rest.

I hope this answers your question.

My first cruise was on the SeaBreeze, Jamaca, Grand Cayman, Cozemel.....what a trip. The food I do remember as being great, as for the other parts......well..........It has taken me this long to get on another cruise......Coral Princess 5/28/07:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your reply about Captain Galiatsatos. I am so sorry to hear about his passing but do appreciate the information. You are lucky to have so many great memories and to have been a part of creating so many memories for other folks. Keep cruisin'!

Hi I am also a former Dolphin (& Majesty) Cruise Line employee and LOVED the wonderful time I spent there. I have many fond memories of the times I spent at the office and onboard our beautiful ships...Dolphin IV, SeaBreeze I, OceanBreeze and Royal Majesty. (We also had the IslandBreeze which I never had the pleasure to sail on). I actually was one of the employees that named the SeaBreeze. . .

If anyone on this board is a past DCL/MCL employee, please let me know. I am still involved in the industry. I am now with Oceania Cruises in charge of the Reservations Department.

I LOVE CRUISING!!!

Hi, I was a former employee (Constanna Shipping) and what a wonderful time I had as well. My stint with Dolphin started as a summer job during college and soon became a means to pay my weekends onboard the vessel. I'll never forget some of the greatest people like Capt. Avdelas, the port captain who was one of the nicest people to work for. Those were great days when Bulgarides owned and operated the ship. I have such great memories. I remember looking at the passenger manifest on a Friday morning. If there were cabins available, I would drive home during lunch to pack, and hop onboard for the weekend! I remember that funny hair drying room! They actually had a room to dry your hair since you couldn't do it in your cabin for lack of electrical plugs. And all you needed was a pink slip of paper to get back onboard.

I would volunteer to work the purser's office when the Chief Purser was short on staff just to get to Paradise Beach in Nassau and soak up the sun. Everyone was like family. Of course, I was 20 years old and carefree. I remember sailing with Capt. Ben Haas among other great captains. What a pistol that Captain Ben! He was so funny and great to be around. He was always happy! Always! I never felt like it was work and they spoiled me to no end onboard. Everyone from the Captain, the Engine staff, the Purser's office and the Port office were so friendly and fun. Sure the ship was packed with older people, but I didn't care! I had the beach and the pool deck to myself. It has been over twenty years since then, and although I'm not in the industry, my husband and I cruise once or twice a year, mainly on RCCL.

I have to admit, cruising is different, but still lots of fun. The Dolphin was a great little ship and I have great memories of her as well.

Our 1st cruise was also on the Dolphin IV when she was the only ship they had. The Dolphin was sold to a brand new company, Cape Canaveral Cruise Line. They did 2 day cruises with two 4 days a month. We had a fantastic Millenium cruise on her - 6 days- and went on her LAST 4 day in August, 2000. She had been bellowing soot for years and it was going to cost more than a million MORE than they thought to fix her. She probably went to India where they take apart old ships for the scrap. The Seabreeze and Oceanbreeze were sold to Premier which had the Big Red Boat. A bank repossed both ships in the MIDDLE of a cruise. Seasbreeze was in , I think, Nova Scotia, heard Captain announced in middle of night everyone HAD to get off the ship. Anyway, that November, the Seabreeze sank off our NC coast in like 3,000 feet of water- too deep to do anything. There were 35 crew members aboard, all resued by our coast guard. Saw on TV pulling crew up by the pool I had swum in the year before.

LOVED the Dolphin line and SMALL ships. BUT, NCL's Majsety, about 1200 passenger, was built by Dolphin as their Majesty line. It was sold to NCL and is still cruising. It goes to Caribean in winter from Charleston, SC and from Boston to Bermuda in summer. We hate NCL but loved the Majsety, her size, her crew and Captain!

AHHHHHH --- the Dolphin Cruise Line food!! Lovewd the food on SeaBreeze in about 1990 - 1991; Island Breeze some years later. Discovered on Regency Cruises Regent Sea prior to both of these that these lines were flying by the seat of their pants, but the owners knew what they didn't know how to do so well so the food service was sub-contracted to a firm (including personnel) who could do (and did) a spectacular job. They were Apollo Ships' Chandlers and were in Miami, I think. I know I had been impressed enough with the food and service they provided on 3 cruises that I phoned their headquarters and someone faxed me a list of the ships they serviced. Not long after that, Regency went under followed by Dolphin some years later so I never did get to sail on all the ships Apollo worked on! Apollo delivered a truly fabulous "product" including nightly completely over-the-top buffets. Some of today's cruise lines ought to examine what they do and consider what they can't do as well!