Seasickness patch

Bunky'sDaD

I picked up my scop patches last night and plan to test it this weekend. I asked my parmacist and she said you do have to wear it behind the ear. Also, asked a doctor friend and she indicated that's the only place she's seen it. Bummer, I was hoping to do the less obvious hip placement. Oh well, if it works it's small price to pay I suppose.

I am getting negitive feedback from my doctors regarding the Trans patch( seasickness patch) .

There are side effects, but for many it's still worth it as this can be the most effective drug for sea sickness.

Still, the doctor could be telling you no, based on some specific medical condition that you have. If he or she didn't explain it, I would ask them if in general they think it's a bad idea - or if it was a bad idea in your case and why. Some doctors aren't the best communicators. They still know your medical specifics & history & are more qualified to advise than we are.

I picked up my scop patches last night and plan to test it this weekend. I asked my parmacist and she said you do have to wear it behind the ear. Also, asked a doctor friend and she indicated that's the only place she's seen it. Bummer, I was hoping to do the less obvious hip placement. Oh well, if it works it's small price to pay I suppose.

Also this is where medical professionals would be looking for it if you wound up in an ER for some reason. Better to put it in a typical place where it would be seen quickly, no one is going to look for it on your back side.

I am a compounding phamacist. My wife gets drowsy at the mention of Dramamine, Bonine etc. I compound a gel that is dispensed in a 1 ml topical syringe containing promethazine. All she has to do is apply about 0.1 ml to her wrist and she is good to go. Minimal drowsiness, if at all, and it works fast. One advantage is that you can titrate the dose to what works for you. This must be prescribed by a physican.

One other option I have yet to read here is the use of a wrist band that applies pressure to an accupressure point. Some people are helped by this drug free method, although the results are highly variable.

My experience with Transderm Scope is that it works well. I did get the pupil dilation on the side I applied it but no real adverse effects. Had not heard of applying it on the hip but that may minimize ocular effects.

I started the patch at 5 PM on Friday night. I was obsessive about washing my hands so as not to get any in my eye. The dry mouth I got almost right away. I already drink a lot of water (64+ oz. daily), but no amount of fluid intake made any difference. Also, noticed it made me very itchy, around the application site, but also just generally itchy all over. The worst side effect on day one was that some foods and beverages tasted off. Since enjoying the food is a big part of the cruise experience I was a little concerned about this.

By the second day I was beginning to notice the vision changes, despite being super careful about washing my hands. I could only see close up without my glasses on and by holding things very close. By Sunday my vision was very bad, so I decided to take the patch off. It took about 2 days for my vision to return to normal.

Thankfully, I already have prescriptions for mecclazine and promethazine (didn't realize that's what the ship's shot is). I was just hoping to use the patch because it would be a constant dose and I wouldn't have to remember to take it.

I would definitely suggest that anyone who hasn't used the patch before, try it out on land well before your cruise. Hopefully you won't have any negative side effects, but best to know what you're in for before you sail.

I'm a Dramamine girl. But one cruise I made the mistake of taking two (yes, you read that correctly: TWO) one night and I was falling asleep into my dinner plate! Now I only take one, but I might make my husband take half to see how it affects him. I'll never cruise without my Dramamine.

I just absolutely LOVE the patch. And I am one of those people who typically has tons of side effects. (Is it psychosomatic since I work in clinical trials??)

Anyhow, yes the patch made me thirsty. (Isn't that what rum punch is for?)

A little itching at the site. (Nothing major)

My vision was blurry because my pupils were HUGE!! I have laughed at some of my pictures.

But as most drug labels say "Your dr has presribed this medication because he or she believes the benefits outweigh the risks."

This was certainly true in my case. I wish I had used the patch on my previous two cruises. It was certainly much better than being seasick!! I was able to not only cruise, but fly, ride taxis, ride water taxis, ride trains, shuttles, etc with NO problem!!

I did put it on 48 hours before my cruise to get used to it and keep it on for a day after I returned home.

Archived