How Rough Around The Tip/horn

Seal

I'm not a novice cruiser--but--a seasick person without the patch--I have used them successfully for the past 16 or 17 cruises--sure there are side effects--but worth it to me

To those who have gone around was it VERY rough or only mildly so--I cancelled a trip to Antartica because of my fear of seasickness--now we are booked ona B2B--Rio De Janeiro to San Francisco

Hope someone can make me understand that this is doable--or not too long of a time in an unpleasant cruising mode--YES--I've been in rough seas where the ship keeps going up then down as in a belly-flop--pulls you out of bed etc.--have survived these without any seasickness

Need advice

Thanks

Nancy:D

Nancy, the odds say that the seas will be rough as this is the area of the world where to oceans meet. No one can predict with certainty what it will be like on the day that you are there.

On our two most recent cruises around the Horn we had two entirely different expreiences.

In 2007, while we cruised around the Horn the seas were relatively mild. And, we also sailed on that same cruise off Antarctica for almost three full days again with relatively calm seas.

In 2005, the sea were calm just about six hours before we were going to sail around the Horn. And almost in a blink of the eye the seas became rough. And, they lasted for about 18 hours.

That is the way it is. As I say the odds say you will encounter some rough seas but agaiin that can range. And, you might get lucky and everything is calm.

We always prepare for rough seas and bring the patch, bonine and even sea bands.

We also try to book a cabin that is mid ship.

This is a beautiful cruise. You will see wonderful ports and breathtaking scenery.

Keith

I agree with Keith.

Been around the Horn twice and BOTH times were rough, although February 2002 was REALLY rough. Had a bow cabin that time-ship was jumping out of the water front to back (not rolling side to side). The Whitbread round the world yacht race was in progress to Rio at the same time. We would see the sail boats literally disappear out our front cabin window. It was so rough that some had to pull into Punta Arenas to wait out the storm for calmer seas. These are seasoned yacht racers, so you can believe that it was rough. It also snowed on that trip. People were sick all over the ship. We LOVED it!!!! Felt like pioneers!!!!

2005-aft cabin on Infinity. We rocked and rolled for about 24 hours but NOTHING like 2002. And the sun was shining.

We have never had a bout of seasickness (we race jet boats), but 2002, it came close. You just never know how the seas will be. Go on the cruise, take all the precautions if you need them. And book something low and mid ship. You really won't regret it. Fantastic experience.

Thanks you two--we have booked mid-ship Dolphin--mini

my favorite is aft on the Tahitian Princess--even the first time on her I was concerned about the cadence--forward back/side to side--get used to it quickly--nothing to worry about

we booked sometime ago--need to get serious now--final isn't until December--but we've been using some FF miles for the future--I don't really think they are going to be long for our future--I wouldn't have any problem with the second leg of this ship--Valparisa to San Fran--if we're going to use miles we need to make reservations NOW.

Safe Traels

Nancy:D

We sailed around the horn West to East. It was very easy and very light seas. HOWEVER, the Captain turned the ship and sailed West for about an hour, to give the Starboard cabins a view of the Horn, and that was VERY rough. I think the general set of the seas and wind there make it much harder to round the Horn going West.

Our South America cruise was fantastic. But, would I recommend it for those prone to seasickness ... I don't know.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/southamerica.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We were on HAL's Rotterdam this past Jan/Feb for a Rio/Valpariso via Antarctica cruise. I am also one who gets seasick very easily. I've tried both the patch and ginger with limited success using each. On this cruise for the first time I tried both together - wore the patch and took 2 ginger capsules twice daily (breakfast and dinner) with fantastic success. We had 40+ foot seas from the Falklands to Antarctica :eek: and I didn't have any problems. :D It was pretty weird for me to be out and about in rough seas. DH was SO thrilled (and stunned) that I wasn't seasick. I was pretty happy too. ;)

Now back to your Cape Horn question: We had extremely calm seas around the Horn (and the Drake Passage back from Antarctica). NO roughness at all - in either direction around the Horn. As the others have stated, there are NO guarantees. Be prepared and try what worked for me - the combination of the patch and ginger.

Good luck!

We were on the same cruise as Patti and it was quite calm. The photos below will give you an idea of how smooth it was. In the lower right hand photo you can see a marker, looks like two arrow heads, that marks where the two oceans meet.

2462150790032533819S600x600Q85.jpg

Archived