Hepatitis A/B and Diptheria innoculations

elpam

I have read they are recommended, but not required. Anyone else concerned about getting them. On the Connie 8/16/08, so not much time as it takes 2 weeks to take effect. Thanks, elaine;)

There is now a Hepatitis A and B combined vaccine. You can receive at least the first dose and will be afforded some protection. Anyone who travels or eats in restaurants should be vaccinated against Hepatitis A, as it is a disease spread by food and/or water contamination and may also be carried by food handlers. Hepatitis B is for blood and body fluid protection and is only recommended for prolonged travel stays. Diptheria is given along with tetanus and inactivated pertussis (Tdap or Td) and is only needed every 10 years. I would visit your doctor and make sure all your adult immunizations are up to date, also check with the CDC travel page on http://www.CDC.gov/travel website.

Thanks! So, it sounds like I need Hepatitis A. The Health Dept. in Utah offers them separatey. I had a tetnus shot last year so probably don't need to get the diptheria part. I had all the Hepatitis innoculations 15 years ago, so probably have some immunity, but just in case I will go up to Utah (I live in Nevada near the border) and get it. I know it takes 2 weeks until it takes effect.

If you completed the entire series of the hepatitis vaccines (NOT gamma globulin), you should still be protected. There is no need for boosters of either once you complete the entire series.

I was in for a regular doctor visit last year before Did a Transatlantic and my doctor said I needed Hepatitis A Shot. Got the first shot about month before we left and the 2nd shot in March.

The Doc said I would be protected with the shot a month before.

I have read they are recommended, but not required. Anyone else concerned about getting them. On the Connie 8/16/08, so not much time as it takes 2 weeks to take effect. Thanks, elaine;)

We were in England 3 days pre-cruise where diptheria is a problem. Our doctor couldn't get just the Tetnus shots which we needed since it's been 20 years so we got the DT shots which had both the diptheria and tetnus. I also had all my titers done on my childhood immunizations a while ago and found everything to be okay except my Rubella so I got a MMR shot as well. Our doctor said it was our option to get the Hep A & B shots for the Baltic although he would recommend it for the Med.

Eileen

We just came back from a Baltic Cruise in June but before we went we checked with our doctor to see if we were up to date on our shots. Celebrity had advised us to get the diphtheria shot ( I thought it was for Russia not England) and since t was 10 years since my last tetanus shot, I went for the DPT combo. I had suffered with Hep A after a trip to South America back in the 70's so I only needed the Hep B shots. I took the accelerated course and still have one shot left. DH needed both Hep A and B so he took TwinRix. I missed two months of work when I got sick with Hep A so my advice is to take precautions now. Have a great trip,

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback. I will take the precaution because who needs to get sick! Trip is in less than 3 weeks and am already doing a trial run packing!

Archived