Istanbul

We just returned from the Zuiderdam cruise Venice to Venice, it was great. We had an overnight at Istanbul, but the problem was that we docked late so time was limited on the first night. The cruise Port is about a 15 minute walk to the tram station. The tram is 1.40 Turkish Lira one way and there is a small ticket booth with attendant at the end of the walkway. The trams come pretty frequently, it seemed we didn't wait for more than about 10 minutes. I don't think they take Euros, most places don't as far as attractions go. The stores will take anything, Euros, $$, Turkish lira. The ship doesn't have Turkish Lira. I picked some up before I left through the B of A. It was convenient and the rate was good. Have a good trip.

We just returned from the Zuiderdam cruise Venice to Venice, it was great. We had an overnight at Istanbul, but the problem was that we docked late so time was limited on the first night. The cruise Port is about a 15 minute walk to the tram station. The tram is 1.40 Turkish Lira one way and there is a small ticket booth with attendant at the end of the walkway. The trams come pretty frequently, it seemed we didn't wait for more than about 10 minutes. I don't think they take Euros, most places don't as far as attractions go. The stores will take anything, Euros, $$, Turkish lira. The ship doesn't have Turkish Lira. I picked some up before I left through the B of A. It was convenient and the rate was good. Have a good trip.

Good advice, Culater. the basic rule: If it is government-run operation (trams, buses, museums, etc.) you need lira. If it is commercial, any common currency works fine (rate of exchange might be ugly, though).

There are many ATMs in the city.. also a good way to grab some lira.

Paul

Sounds great. I am on the Zuiderdam in 2 weeks, same itinerary. what did you do in the evening upon docking? I wanted to go to Taksim Square and walk the pedestrian street or alternatively a Bosphorus cruise but time is limited. I'd rather not take the cruise's dinner tour. And By the way, is the tram stop that is near the port very long to get to the bridge? It should only be a short ride. I was considering also taking the underground tram from the foot of the bridge to Galata tower.

We stuck to the old part of town but if you take the tram in the opposite direction you can easily get to Takism square. Sounds like NYC. I found Rick Steves book on Istanbul to be the best.

I don't know if you are a shopper or are interested in the Grand Bazaar, but if you are arriving on Saturday, be aware, the Grand Bazaar is closed on Sunday. That was our predicament, lots of people wanted to go to the Grand Bazaar on Saturday before it closed, which was 7PM. Well the original dock time was 4, then it was pushed to 5 but we didn't reach there until 5:30 or so and weren't able to disembark until just before 6P. We did manage to reach the bazaar.

Another thing, I am not sure on how much the cab is to Takism square, but to the old town from the port it was 10 Euros. Make sure you confirm the price before you get on the taxi.

I wanted to cruise the Bosphorous, but we'll save that for the next trip. There are private cruises that will take you part way and back for about 6 euros (maybe 10 now) according to Rick Steves. It takes about an hour and a half but last cruises are around 7PM. They look like they're packed though. Someone we met on the cruise said they found someone with their own boat that took them privately and they paid about $50 per person.

So a lot will depend upon how early or late you get to port on the first night. As for the other sites, everything is doable on your own...Hagiya Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi, Underground Cistern (missed that one). It's a beautiful place, lots of people though and the streets aren't the greatest in the old town.

Culater - would you consider walking around in the evening relatively safe, then? We are going in November, so I'm assuming it will be dark sooner and tourist places will be closed earlier. We arrive early afternoon and can hopefully see some sights before dinner, then maybe spend the evening on shore. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Linda

I agree, it's very safe. If you are there on a Sunday and want to shop, consider the Arasta Bazaar. It's a little street full of shops, right behind the Blue Mosque. Very nice and less stressful than the Grand Bazaar, but with everything you could want to look at. According to their website:

http://www.arastabazaar.com/

They are open every day.

We stuck to the old part of town but if you take the tram in the opposite direction you can easily get to Takism square. Sounds like NYC. I found Rick Steves book on Istanbul to be the best.

I don't know if you are a shopper or are interested in the Grand Bazaar, but if you are arriving on Saturday, be aware, the Grand Bazaar is closed on Sunday. That was our predicament, lots of people wanted to go to the Grand Bazaar on Saturday before it closed, which was 7PM. Well the original dock time was 4, then it was pushed to 5 but we didn't reach there until 5:30 or so and weren't able to disembark until just before 6P. We did manage to reach the bazaar.

Another thing, I am not sure on how much the cab is to Takism square, but to the old town from the port it was 10 Euros. Make sure you confirm the price before you get on the taxi.

The ship is supposed to get in at 4pm but hopefully we can get right off and catch the tram over the bridge to the boat area to catch the 1 1/2 hour ride. I know the tram comes across the Galata bridge from the old town but from the maps, it seems to go over near the port and to go up to the pedestrian street and Taksim you need to take the underground tram and then it hooks into the historic tram. Did you try any of these?

The ferry terminal is on the same side of the Galata Bridge as the Spice Market. From that point you have several choices. You can take the tram (or walk and follow the tram tracks) to Sultanahmet where you will find the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Underground Cistern etc...probably a 20 minute walk............In the other direction you would have to walk across the Galata Bridge and head up about one or two streets. On the left you will see the entrance to the TUNNEL which is a one stop underground tram. The walk up to Istiklal Cadessi is very steep so we took the Tunnel. The walk back down was not so bad. Once off the tram you can continue walking up Istiklal towards Taksim Square.........Marty

In response to your last post, no we didn't take the tram towards Taksim. So the advice from Martyap would probably be best. I don't know how much you like to walk or are able to walk, but you can walk an additional 10-15 minutes from the first tram stop (closest to the cruise terminal) across the bridge to the ferry boats on the other side. It's not a difficult walk and it is interesting to see all the fishermen along the bridge (it's filled). There are also some restaurants and shops under the bridge that you can also walk along side if you like. Study a good map before you go, as I couldn't find my way to the Spice Market even though it should have been right in front of me, but I think also it was closed. Have fun.

In response to your last post, no we didn't take the tram towards Taksim. So the advice from Martyap would probably be best. I don't know how much you like to walk or are able to walk, but you can walk an additional 10-15 minutes from the first tram stop (closest to the cruise terminal) across the bridge to the ferry boats on the other side. It's not a difficult walk and it is interesting to see all the fishermen along the bridge (it's filled). There are also some restaurants and shops under the bridge that you can also walk along side if you like. Study a good map before you go, as I couldn't find my way to the Spice Market even though it should have been right in front of me, but I think also it was closed. Have fun.

The Spice Market is on the same side as the ferry terminal.There is an underground passage (also filled with shops....watch your wallets) that takes you under the busy roadway which usually has heavy traffic from the ferries to the Spice Market Square. You will see the huge New Mosque (not Blue Mosque) on the left and the Spice market is to the right of it..........In the same square is an excellent restaurant called Pandeli's.......A good guidebook like DK Eyewitness will have great maps...........Marty.

I wanted to cruise the Bosphorous, but we'll save that for the next trip. There are private cruises that will take you part way and back for about 6 euros (maybe 10 now) according to Rick Steves. It takes about an hour and a half but last cruises are around 7PM. They look like they're packed though. Someone we met on the cruise said they found someone with their own boat that took them privately and they paid about $50 per person.

So a lot will depend upon how early or late you get to port on the first night. As for the other sites, everything is doable on your own...Hagiya Sophia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi, Underground Cistern (missed that one). It's a beautiful place, lots of people though and the streets aren't the greatest in the old town.

I agree with Culater. We were on the same cruise. The ship offered a 10-minute transfer to the city for about $45. It was ONLY a transfer, not a tour, no tour guide, nothing, just transportation. We got off the ship and took a taxi. There are taxis just sitting there waiting for you. They have an "official" who speaks with you in English to see where you want to go. He tells you what it will cost and directs you to the taxi and driver. No matter where we went, it was always only 10 Euro. We spoke with two men (Hi Matt and Mark!) who were getting off the ship to see if they wanted to join us for the fare and they did.

We went directly to the other side of the bridge and were told how to get to the Spice Market, as it would remain open for about an hour longer. We stopped for Lira at an ATM. Then we went up to the Blue Mosque, which was beautiful. They were having a light show later in the evening. Across the street was a nice outdoor cafe/restaurant and there was music and a whirling dervish, which was pretty neat to see. There are cats everywhere!

We asked a taxi driver where we could get a good meal, and he directed us to take a right and then a left and there were many nice restaurants. We did so and found a great place with live music. We had a delicious dinner for 4 with wine and beer for less than $100.

The next day, the four of us took a taxi to the ferry area at the end of the bridge. We had first intended to take a ferry for a tour of the Bosphorus. However, they were jam-packed with seemingly hundreds of people and we knew they'd be no narration of the sights in English. So instead we negotiated with several captains to find one that would take us on a private boat tour of the Bosphorus. The best one by far was a 26-year old University student with his own 25-passenger boat. He agreed to take us on a tour and allowed us to create it with him. We wanted to go for 3 hours, up on the European side, stopping in a little town (Bebek) for a stroll, then back down on the Asian side. He agreed and he joined us as well to narrate. This only cost us $50 each. He was absolutely wonderful! His name is Kazim and I have his phone and email and would be more than happy to share it if anyone is interested.

So, see if you can share a taxi with others and it makes it even better! We ended up doing almost everything with these two fine gentlemen:)

I am hoping that the tram stop closest to the cruise terminal is the one that is a couple blocks from the hill tram and the stop right before it goes over the bridge to the spice market stop. Is that correct? this helps me a lot since I want to get off the ship when it docks at 4pm (hopefully) and try to get the Bosphorus tour.

Is it short or long walk possible down hill from Istiklal Caddesi back to the port? or should I just take a taxi back?

I am hoping that the tram stop closest to the cruise terminal is the one that is a couple blocks from the hill tram and the stop right before it goes over the bridge to the spice market stop. Is that correct? this helps me a lot since I want to get off the ship when it docks at 4pm (hopefully) and try to get the Bosphorus tour.

Is it short or long walk possible down hill from Istiklal Caddesi back to the port? or should I just take a taxi back?

Neil........The ferry ride up the Bosphorus is really no big deal. As I mentioned before we have spent some extended time in Istanbul so it was an extra thing to do. If this is your first trip to Istanbul spend some time on Istiklal Cadessi, Spice Market, Galata Bridge/Tower. Head over to the Blue Mosque in the old section, Sultanahmet. It is all lit up at night......fantastic. Have a great dinner. We really did not use the tram very much.....it was often very crowded and slow. We walked or used a taxi.........The walk from the Galata Bridge, via Istiklal, to Taksim Square is uphill and steep so we took the underground one stop tram. Ride takes three minutes and then you have a 30 minute walk to Taksim Square...............I really think if you forget the Bosphorus ferry you'll have a more leisurely evening in Istanbul.......just my opinion..........Marty

Neil........The ferry ride up the Bosphorus is really no big deal. As I mentioned before we have spent some extended time in Istanbul so it was an extra thing to do. If this is your first trip to Istanbul spend some time on Istiklal Cadessi, Spice Market, Galata Bridge/Tower. Head over to the Blue Mosque in the old section, Sultanahmet. It is all lit up at night......fantastic. Have a great dinner. We really did not use the tram very much.....it was often very crowded and slow. We walked or used a taxi.........The walk from the Galata Bridge, via Istiklal, to Taksim Square is uphill and steep so we took the underground one stop tram. Ride takes three minutes and then you have a 30 minute walk to Taksim Square...............I really think if you forget the Bosphorus ferry you'll have a more leisurely evening in Istanbul.......just my opinion..........Marty

thanks. that's good advice. I have the next day in Sultanahmet planned so I am just trying to fill the evening on arrival. I like the idea of Istiklal Cadessi for dinner and strolling. My wife likes the idea of the Bosphorus cruise, so I think we will just see what time the ship actually docks and take it from there!

thanks. that's good advice. I have the next day in Sultanahmet planned so I am just trying to fill the evening on arrival. I like the idea of Istiklal Cadessi for dinner and strolling. My wife likes the idea of the Bosphorus cruise, so I think we will just see what time the ship actually docks and take it from there!

If you liked my posting on our private 3-hour Bosphorus cruise with Kazim, please let me know and I will give you his contact information. As I mentioned, he allowed us to design the itinerary including a stop in a small town on the river for strolling around. We had an awesome time and I highly recommend it!

The ferry terminal is on the same side of the Galata Bridge as the Spice Market. From that point you have several choices. You can take the tram (or walk and follow the tram tracks) to Sultanahmet where you will find the Blue Mosque, Aya Sophia, Underground Cistern etc...probably a 20 minute walk............In the other direction you would have to walk across the Galata Bridge and head up about one or two streets. On the left you will see the entrance to the TUNNEL which is a one stop underground tram. The walk up to Istiklal Cadessi is very steep so we took the Tunnel. The walk back down was not so bad. Once off the tram you can continue walking up Istiklal towards Taksim Square.........Marty

would anyone recommend walking back to the ship from Istiklak Caddesi street?

If you liked my posting on our private 3-hour Bosphorus cruise with Kazim, please let me know and I will give you his contact information. As I mentioned, he allowed us to design the itinerary including a stop in a small town on the river for strolling around. We had an awesome time and I highly recommend it!

I would be interested in his contact information. It sounded really interesting. Thanks.

would anyone recommend walking back to the ship from Istiklak Caddesi street?

Taxis are really very inexpensive. Do your walking and sightseeing and get a taxi back to the port. Probably your safest bet.....Marty

Hi, My husband and I will be in Istanbul from Sept 16th to the 19th, then overnight on board the NCL Jade and we actually leave on the 20th at 1500hrs. I would love the contact info for Kazim!! Any other suggestions you have for other than the obvious attractions would be great! I know it's Ramadan while we're there, so should be interesting at night! My email is emtcindi @ qwest.net, just take out the spaces.

Thanks,

Cindi

After we did our boat trip on the Bosphorus, we took a taxi to the

Beyoglu section, which is where Istikial is. We had lunch at a great Turkish restaurant and then walked about. Istikial is a pedestrian street with lots of shops. We decided to walk back to the ship from there. It was quite a walk. It was a steep downhill walk all the way. I think it must have taken us at least 30 minutes.

Taxis were 10 euros everywhere we went. It didn't seem to matter where!

Hi, My husband and I will be in Istanbul from Sept 16th to the 19th, then overnight on board the NCL Jade and we actually leave on the 20th at 1500hrs. I would love the contact info for Kazim!! Any other suggestions you have for other than the obvious attractions would be great! I know it's Ramadan while we're there, so should be interesting at night! My email is emtcindi @ qwest.net, just take out the spaces.

Thanks,

Cindi

Cindi, Just in case you're wondering, I sent an email with all the information to you at the address you gave me. Let me know if you did or did not get it!

Cindy

I know, I know. Istanbul for 1 day doesn't do it justice. But, I promise that I will be back. I will be on a RCL cruise leaving Barcelona on October 20 and will be in Istanbul. Do you have any recommendations for any guides? I prefer to have a private guide instead of joining the ship's tour. My must-sees are the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque and Grand Bazaar. Thank you in advance for all your info!

Archived