Pictures of Fantasy Docked in Mobile

Cruzman

Just off the Fantasy in our "unscheduled" port of call in Mobile. We did disembark off deck 3. There were about 1800 people who took self-assist, so they didn't start calling numbers until about 10:30!

They are going to need more space in the terminal if they are going to get a bigger ship! I know they brought people down from New Orleans to help yesterday, but it sure went slow!!

Getting from deck 3 to the ramp, was it stairs or another ramp (or not) ?

It was a ramp, just like docking at Cozumel or Progresso. No stairs at all.

They really did handle it well. The only problem I had was that we didn't get to leave the terminal until after 11:30 and then got into New Orleans about 2:00!! My family was starving!!! They had breakfast available only until 9:00 and nothing after that. Add to it that the bus driver (bless her heart) didn't know where she was going and was following two other buses. Some of the buses were going straight to the airport and some were going to the pier. The lead bus was scheduled to go to the airport and the other buses just followed along! A guy in the back of the bus went to the front and told her how to get downtown to the pier, but the bus in front of her just kept going on to the airport, even though it wasn't supposed to do so. Our bus driver said she never drives into New Orleans, that she came from Montgomery that morning and usually drives to Atlanta, Nashville, etc.

Looks like the Fantasy had no problem negotiating the turning basin. Lots of bus traffic around here today on I-10, lol.

What basin are you talking about? sorry I came in on this late. Guess I need to make reservations for the Holiday! I sure will miss it!

What basin are you talking about? sorry I came in on this late. Guess I need to make reservations for the Holiday! I sure will miss it!

The turning basin is about 1 mile north of the cruise terminal. It is the area where ships turn around. Currently ships in excess of 900 ft long require tug assistance, however a much larger turning basin located south of the cruise terminal is currently being dredged.

Looks like the Fantasy had no problem negotiating the turning basin. Lots of bus traffic around here today on I-10, lol.

yesterday on his way home from sailing day..He works for CSA, the port company ppl,for 35 yrs and is in charge of all the bag handlers. NO problems with the turning, mooring etc..so it goes like clock work.

The Holiday will be going to a Spanish cruise company and will be marketed in Spain. The sale will probably be in the fall of 2009.

MSEm

She'll probably go to Pullmantur (sp) Cruises. That's where the Celebration went. I wonder what her name will be? Celebration became Grand Celebration but when Celebrity sold Zenith to them, she kept her name exactly as it was.

Sorry all, I'm rambling and hijacking your thread. :o

She'll probably go to Pullmantur (sp) Cruises. That's where the Celebration went. I wonder what her name will be? Celebration became Grand Celebration but when Celebrity sold Zenith to them, she kept her name exactly as it was.

Sorry all, I'm rambling and hijacking your thread. :o

Actually, Pullmatur belongs to RCI. Celebration and Holiday will be going to Ibero cruises that Carnival is a partner in. The names are Grand Celebration and Grand Holiday.

Futaba - just curious as to which RC hobby you are into? :D

I'm not. I grew up in Japan. I lived there until I graduated from H.S. (Private American school in Tokyo, Japan) and then went off to college in PA. Futaba was the name of the neighborhood we lived in and 951 was the zip code. My sister and I still use variations of our old phone number and address in Japan as PIN codes and passwords. :)

Ah ok - I've always have wanted to visit Japan - if I can only get Carnival to cruise there :)

LOL - same here Dave, RC Planes - hince my question :D

You might want to check Princess or P&O. I believe Princess had some cruises in Japan last year. Still part of the Carnival family. And just to get back on topic, how about those pix of Fantasy in Mobile, huh?

Wow, I would love to see a larger boat in Mobile. I have heard that the Victory will be placed on the shorter cruise tour sometime with 4 & 5 day cruises. I love that ship! Mobile will be easy for us here in Atlanta.

I do hope they get the Fantasy back on track. We get on her in three weeks or so.

I'm on the Fantasy this Saturday, Aug 9!

I dread the bus ride. I wish I could just go ahead and drive to Mobile but I know CCL isn't going to make that call to go ahead and embark and disembark from Mobile. Plus, it would not be fair to those with air packages.

Oh well, looking forward to it anyway.

Ali McG

By the looks and sound of it, Mobile's does not, see where it meets the Fantasy, that is a passenger deck, no doors. It would be my guess that they disembarked from deck 2 as they do when at a foreign port. Mobile is supposed to be buying a new walkway that is adjustable though, cost of 3 million I read somewhere.

I was just looking at the same thing. It appears that the gangway at Main deck, and I couldn't think of anywhere on Main that passengers could enter at.

I am guessing it's that height because Holiday's lobby/entrance is on Main?

It's nice you Alabamians are getting a bigger ship, just don't go asking for the Inspiration, shes OURS!:D

I'm on the Fantasy this Saturday, Aug 9!

I dread the bus ride. I wish I could just go ahead and drive to Mobile but I know CCL isn't going to make that call to go ahead and embark and disembark from Mobile. Plus, it would not be fair to those with air packages.

Oh well, looking forward to it anyway.

Ali McG

-----------

My comment to you is check carnival's website - you probably won't have to worry about Mobile as they are predicting those sailing today won't return to Mobile. Per Port NO it is open.

Archived