How much sunscreen?

twofastdogs

and some other mundane matters...

We are 2 adults and 2 children. Western Caribbean itinerary. I tend to be generous with the sunscreen as I feel it is bad for you and I tend to burn, peel, repeat. No tan here. How much do you think I should bring for us? I have 1 large "tube" but I am thinking I might need 2.

Plus, anyones kid have a Leapster? I got my DD one for the plane and I am wondering how long the batteries will last. Any ideas?

TIA

and some other mundane matters...

We are 2 adults and 2 children. Western Caribbean itinerary. I tend to be generous with the sunscreen as I feel it is bad for you and I tend to burn, peel, repeat. No tan here. How much do you think I should bring for us? I have 1 large "tube" but I am thinking I might need 2.

Plus, anyones kid have a Leapster? I got my DD one for the plane and I am wondering how long the batteries will last. Any ideas?

TIA

I'm usually a proponent of pack light. But in both of these cases I would take the extra sunscreen and an extra set of batteries.

Sunscreen on the ship will be much more expensive than the house brands that you can buy at home and are just as good. Running out of power and having an upset child on an airplane doesn't sound like a good way to start a vacation either.

Just my 2¢

Charlie

Also, do we need to bring 2 strollers for our 2 kids? 1.5 and 3.5 years old? I am thinking yes, if just for the airport, hubby thinks no.

We don't travel with kids anymore. But, I'd side with hubby on that one.

Unless you think that you would use both at the same time on the ship or ashore in ports. Other than that it's just one more thing to lift, lug, store, etc. during the cruise.

Charlie

I'd plan on 3/4 of a "tube" on suncreen for each full day (port and pool days) outdoors. (I'd bring 4 total for a 7 day cruise...) Be careful with the "spray" types because I've burned several times using them. (Though they are good for the scalp and ears if you are prone to forget these with lotions.) My husband and I usually take 3 for the 2 of us and use quite a bit.

As for strollers, probably one is enough unless you are planning to walk a ton.

I would definitely bring extra sunscreen and batteries. We went on the Freedom of the Seas with our 3 and 4 YO boys this past April and had Leapsters with us. They were so busy, they honestly didn't use them that much (only a little bit at dinner and once or twice in the room), but you never know.

As for the stroller, we drove to the port, but I have traveled with them at airports and couldn't imagine it without strollers. Also, if my 3 YO is in a stroller, my 4 YO wants to be in one, too. I don't know how your 3 YO is, but it may be a consideration. When we went on the Freedom, we did not have the strollers, and we were fine without them. You don't want them wandering around on the ship. You'd really only use them at the airport, and getting off at the ports if you're going to be doing some walking. And they take up space in the small cabins (we had a regular size balcony and space was very limited). Then again, you're going to be carrying your 1.5 YO around everywhere when you get off the ship without it. After a day in the sun at port, your 3 YO is going to be pretty tired, too. It really depends on your preference and how much walking around you plan to do off the ship but, if it were me, with a 1.5 YO, and knowing how my kids are when one is in a stroller and the other is tired, I'd take two umbrella strollers.

The Leapster was a life saver numerous times for me! The batteries last a good while. It takes AA at least mine did and DS played it a lot on long trips and very rarely had to change batteries. I would bring extras in case. They are easy to change.

Archived