Yusopov Palace

elpam

This is not included in our 2-day private tour with DenRus. Anyone have a comment on this place to visit? Thanks, :)

It was a must for us because one of our group is a Rasputin junkie. ANd Yusopov's Palace is another over-the-top palace with its own theatre and an imported staircase. He was an immigrant and apparently of Muslim origin, and the decor of some of the room's illustrates this. In the basement is a mock-up of Rasputin's poisoning scene, using wax dummies.

http://www.yusupov-palace.ru/index_en.htm

That's a very good description of the palace from stunnedinva - the most memorable things for me being the theatre and the cellar where Rasputin was poisoned.

I did enjoy my visit there - it was coupled with a canal trip on our ship's half-day excursion - so I guess it didn't take too long to see it but whether I would recommend it as a 'must see' would depend on what else I had to miss to fit it in.

There are other attractions which I would rate more highly: Catherine Palace, Peterhof Palace and Gardens, the Hermitage and the Church of the Spilled Blood would be my priorities. But it really comes down to what your preferences are and how much time you have - and everyone brings their own agenda when selecting tours. But whatever you decide, enjoy St P - it's a fabulous city.

We really enjoyed Yusopov Palace. In fact we chose it over Peterhof and were glad we did. It is a little jewel of a palace, on a much more comprehensible scale than Catherine's Palace, more like a great English estate.

For me the big attraction was the cellar where Rasputin was killed, and the dioramas are really very creepy. If that part of Russian history attracts you, then it becomes a DON'T MISS to me.

There are so many things to do in St P. You simply have to choose the ones that most appeal to you, and not agonize over the ones you can't include!

For our personalized tour with DenRus Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/baltic.html

We were in St. Pete for 3 days on a custom tour with Denrus - Yusopov Palace was our final day, final venue before returning to the ship.

This "palace" differs from the others (Peterhof, Catherine's) etc. in that it was actually a family residence more than a "showcase" for affairs, foreign state functions, etc - and it is reflected in the decor and furnishings.

Besides the interesting tableau of the Rasputin murder (down in the cellar room) - 2 other notables:

1- In the grand ballroom - chairs were set up, and 3 tenors sang (I guess we just made their performance) - it was probably 10-15 minutes - but it was incredible in a gorgeous setting!

2- In the dining room, there were various cabinets, display units, built-ins where the family would have had their china, silver, collectibles and heirlooms on display - however, these cases were filled with Russian art items to purchase and in one display there were the most UNUSUAL vases - their shapes were unique and they were handpainted. My friend did not realize these items were for sale! She found a fabulous vase with a painted winter scene with a log cabin (they live in a log house) and she purchased it! Since we were not done with the tour, they whisked it away, wrapped it in bubble wrap, and had it all prepared so that at the end of the tour all they did was pay for it! I took too long debating which design I liked, and as I didn't really need a vase, I passed....

3-The one room was done all in Moorish design - it was amazing!

I loved Peterhof, liked Catherine's palace (the Amber Room was what made it) and really enjoyed Yusopov Palace - we all agreed that it was a must see!

To be perfectly honest, this was my least favorite spot on the two-day tour. The cellar was interesting, and the theatre was nice, but it wasn't nearly as impressive as our other stops. I would much rather have spent a much shorter amount of time here (tour took about an hour) and more at Peterhof, the Hermitage or the Church on Spilled Blood.

We have only one day here in May 2009. We are in port from 7am to 11pm. Can we do Peterhof, St. catherines and Hermitage in one day. We are not crazy art people so a short visit to the Hermitage would be ok. I just don't know about the travel time. Any info would help. Thanks

You will have lots of time to see all that and then some. You are fortunate to be there in the evening as they offer wonderful entertainment in the City. The churches are awesome and you could include a canal boat ride (about 1 hour) and see the subways. Take a look at the websites for the tour operators, they all offer various tours for the day.

I thought Yusopuv's Palace was quite interesting.

The paintings of Catherine on the wall, and the Czar were really great. It showed Catherine's beauty. The theater was charming, red velvet gaudy and easy to imagine amazing shows there. Also, outside the basement where Rasputin was is a secret area of mirrors where there is a secret door that was used during the hiding.

Our two day tour was will Alla Tours, highly recommended!

Enjoy Russia. Oh, we ate all the food, but drank the bottled water and were fine.

Daphna

To be perfectly honest, this was my least favorite spot on the two-day tour. The cellar was interesting, and the theatre was nice, but it wasn't nearly as impressive as our other stops. I would much rather have spent a much shorter amount of time here (tour took about an hour) and more at Peterhof, the Hermitage or the Church on Spilled Blood.

Yes, I'm afraid I agree with Reebster - Yusopov was my least favourite too (of 8 tours/tourist attractions we've taken in St P) - although to be fair, as I said before, I did enjoy it and it was interesting. It is quite small and for me, Peterhof was fantastic because of the gardens as well as the palace (perhaps top of my list of favourites!) but all of St P is fascinating and as I said before, it really is a matter of what type of attraction appeals to you.

We are not crazy art people so a short visit to the Hermitage would be ok.

We're not art buffs either, but a short visit to the Hermitage is certainly worth it to see the architecture, scale and beauty of the Palace as well as some of the famous exhibits.

Enjoy your trip.

We did a Denrus tour four years ago and they customized the itinerary for me and the Yussupov place was included. I'm a Russian history junkie and this was a must as well as the Alexander Palace which is near the Catherine Palace.

The Palace was beautifully furnished and decorated, and I felt upon wandering around that it looked as if the occupants had just left minutes before our visit. There was even food prepared and set out on the dining room table (although it was probably plastic!) and that added to the sense that we were on an "open house" tour.

I wouldn't miss the Hermitage for this, though.

With just one day to see St P you might consider skipping Peterhof. Its about a 45 minute ride each way. That hour and a half might be better spent in downtown St P. Id really look at distances and times to get places. Yes Peterhof is outstanding beautiful but so are so many places more centerally located.

Yes, I agree with Peterhof. It's a beautiful palace and the fountains are spectacular, but still just another palace and if you only have one day I wouldn't leave St P.

Archived