Slipping the Maitre'D a $20 bill? What do you think?

cjtwer

We are traveling next week with a group of 22 and we all have confirmed early dinner except my 17YO DS and his friend. They are on the waitlist. I talked to our TA and they said to talk to the Maitre'd as soon as we get on the ship to see if they can add my DS and his friend to our dinner group. My Mom thinks we should slip the Maitre'D a $20 bill when we make this request.

What do you think?

We are traveling next week with a group of 22 and we all have confirmed early dinner except my 17YO DS and his friend. They are on the waitlist. I talked to our TA and they said to talk to the Maitre'd as soon as we get on the ship to see if they can add my DS and his friend to our dinner group. My Mom thinks we should slip the Maitre'D a $20 bill when we make this request.

What do you think?

How did a 17 year old get excluded in the first place? He's not even old enough to book a cabin. I think the MD will make a place for him just knowing he's a minor, and w/o the need for the $20.

I agree, I don't think there is a need to pay the Maitre D. Line up on the first day and speak with him. You already have a large party so it should not be a problem to accomodate two more, especially two minors.

The tip won't do much I am afraid. They will take care of this when you get onboard one way or another, so no need to worry. And if by chance it can't be done, just have everyone in your party switch to anytime dining, problem solved.

But slipping him a $20, although it might put a 'slight' smile on his face, won't do you any better than asking nicely. ;)

Good luck!

Ask only. Don't try to bribe as that might be perceived as tacky. Thank the maitre d' in the dining room when your request is granted. Show your appreciation at the end of the cruise. Roll your eyes when DS17 decides he doesn't want to hang with the rest of the gang for dinner and never uses the seat anyway.

Spongerob, I am laughing because you are so right!

My 17 year old son and his friend did not join our table in the dining room once on our 7 night cruise! They were off with the teen club. I saw them getting pizza once in awhile and am not even sure what else they ate!

So OP: you may not even need to worry about this!

Ha!!!

The only way I see my 17 year old granson in the dining room at dinner is when I insist.....and I only insist at the Captain's Dinner.

He would much rather hang with his new friends and eat pizza/fries/buffet/ice cream and yak.

The OP has another thread going asking the same question where virtually everyone has told her that it won't be an issue and to contact her TA and if not resolved to check with the M'd.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=816388

You're right I did have a similar thread on this subject and followed the advice I was given. This morning I call the TA and Princess and they too told me to contact the Maitre'd when on board. I talked to my Mom and she wondered if slipping the Maitre'd would help. I guess I could have added it to the previous thread but I was afraid the question on whether tipping the Maitre'd would get lost in that thread so I started another thread.

However, I do appreciate the notentirelynormal pointed that out. I am not a regular poster here and if there are some parameters as to when it's OK to start another thread on a already discussed subject and when it's not OK I would appreciate if you could point that out to me.

In the mean time notentirelynormal ought to get to the Sherlock Holmes Cruise Critic Detecive award for noting that I have started 2 threads on a similar but not the same subject.

BTW, I did ask DS if he would mind eating alone w/ his friend and he didn't like that idea at all.

You're right I did have a similar thread on this subject and followed the advice I was given. This morning I call the TA and Princess and they too told me to contact the Maitre'd when on board. I talked to my Mom and she wondered if slipping the Maitre'd would help. I guess I could have added it to the previous thread but I was afraid the question on whether tipping the Maitre'd would get lost in that thread so I started another thread.

However, I do appreciate the notentirelynormal pointed that out. I am not a regular poster here and if there are some parameters as to when it's OK to start another thread on a already discussed subject and when it's not OK I would appreciate if you could point that out to me.

In the mean time notentirelynormal ought to get to the Sherlock Holmes Cruise Critic Detecive award for noting that I have started 2 threads on a similar but not the same subject.

BTW, I did ask DS if he would mind eating alone w/ his friend and he didn't like that idea at all.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, really I didn't. I was thinking that the responses were similar to the other thread and you were getting duplicate responses. I see your point perfectly. Again... oops to me. I hope it gets worked out and like I said on the other link, we've had a similar problem in the past and it ended up just fine by simply asking it to be resolved. The crew is there to please and having you all eat together will please them. My kids always wanted to eat with us and still do with their kids.

..........My Mom thinks we should slip the Maitre'D a $20 bill when we make this request. What do you think?

Why should you think you need to bribe him to do his job. I agree with the other poster.... show your appreciation at the end of the cruise.... and maybe even include a note of the specific things you appreciated. ;)

And if by chance it can't be done, just have everyone in your party switch to anytime dining, problem solved.

How is the problem solved? The problem is that everyone in their party wanted the early seating and one person got left out. They want the early seating NOT anytime dining.

How is the problem solved? The problem is that everyone in their party wanted the early seating and one person got left out. They want the early seating NOT anytime dining.

It will allow them to all eat together IF they all can not get seating at assigned dining. They can still eat as early as they wish, just in a different diningroom.

It will allow them to all eat together IF they all can not get seating at assigned dining. They can still eat as early as they wish, just in a different diningroom.

I am assuming (possibly wrongly) that they want to avoid anytime dining. The last thing I want with a large group is to be handed a pager and be told to hurry up and wait. That's what we do at home.

Although many people on CC seem to like anytime dining I think most passengers prefer a set dining time. There is nearly always a wait list for traditional dining.

Ask only. Don't try to bribe as that might be perceived as tacky. Thank the maitre d' in the dining room when your request is granted. Show your appreciation at the end of the cruise. Roll your eyes when DS17 decides he doesn't want to hang with the rest of the gang for dinner and never uses the seat anyway.
I agree totally. As Toto said it probably won't be needed anyway, as the Maitre'D is used to spotting and handling issues.

The time to show appreciation for extraordinary service is after the service has been rendored. Get that envelope from the Pursor's desk and remember him at the end of the cruise, both in cash and in the survey.

Archived