Navigator Of The Seas Room 1688 or 1388 Categor D1

Yes it is more like a JS. We stayed in 1388 and loved it. It has a huge corner balcony (although a lot of it is in the shade).

Would definately book it again if I had the chance.

Yes it is more like a JS. We stayed in 1388 and loved it. It has a huge corner balcony (although a lot of it is in the shade).

Would definately book it again if I had the chance.

It's haunted :cool:

We stayed in 1688. They say it's not larger. It's laid out differently and looks larger. Loved the layout. We had four in it. Son slept on the balcony. :D

HIS choice and loved it.

I personally didn't like the balcony. It's hotter and dirty in the am.

Nice for us though with the kids cuz it just seemed like we had more room.

Look at pics. They're all over...do a search.

We stayed in 1688 on Navigator back in '05. Whether sq.footage is larger or not (I believe it is), the practical and usable room configuration is bigger. Lots of floor space in a square-shaped room. There is not a pulldown berth for a 3rd sleeper. There is a full-size sofabed of some questionable comfort. It wasn't a need for us (I behaved that week!:) ), but most on here seem to feel that their younger kids sleep okay on it. Teenagers and up might find it less comfortable, I don't know. Others may be able to comment.

We didn't have any problem with too little air flow like I hear from time to time. We kind of like it that there isn't a strong breeze to blow our drying bathing suits, etc. off the balcony. We also value shade over sun, although on that balcony you'll get a little of both. But we weren't anything like uncomfortable. Nor in 2 seperate sailings have we experienced the soot problem you hear about occasionally. Who knows?

Does anyone have the actual square footage of this room please? It looks bigger to me!

I don't have the square footage, but I can assure you the cabin's usable space is definitely larger than in a standard D1. The cabin is MUCH wider than a standard cabin (possibly twice as wide), but it is also shorter than a standard cabin so the overall square footage may not be significantly more. A standard D1 is long and narrow. You enter in a long hallway which has your closet on one side and the bathroom on the other. This hall area is mostly wasted space as far as usable space goes. With 1388/1688 you enter right into the cabin space and it is a huge square area with lots of room to walk around (even if the sofabed is opened). The bathroom is in one small corner of the square and the rest of the space is all usable. There is a wardrobe-type closet that is flat on the back wall beside the entryway. Here is a link to my photos of 1688 on Explorer...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/42736707mJbKZS

Thanky you for your help and the pictures. We have a better idea now.

We will need to book this room as we are 3 of us travelling and looks spacious.

It is plenty big for 3 passengers! As I said, even with the sofabed opened as a bed, there is substantial room to get around! My son, 13, has slept in that sofabed several times and he says since they've added the new bedding it is really pretty comfortable. My son is about 5'7" and probably weighs about 150lbs.

*I* slept in the sofabed (Explorer 1688) and found it quite comfortable (had the steward make it up with the egg crate mattress topper).

It is DEFINITELY larger (square footage) than a regular D1. It's just plain wonderful. :)

2362869130077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2353499470077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2346552490077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

It is plenty big for 3 passengers! As I said, even with the sofabed opened as a bed, there is substantial room to get around! My son, 13, has slept in that sofabed several times and he says since they've added the new bedding it is really pretty comfortable. My son is about 5'7" and probably weighs about 150lbs.

Somebody's been growing since March!:D What're you feeding that boy?

Somebody's been growing since March!:D What're you feeding that boy?

He's been eating his Wheaties! :D He is taller than Lauren now! I had them stand side by side over the weekend when they were together! He wears a men's size 11 shoe! I don't know where he gets his height?! ;) It's not like his parents are tall! :p

• 1 month later...

We're booked on the Mariner -- cabin 1688 and have seen pictures of the slider going out to the balcony. Can anyone confirm if it is, indeed, a slider and not a door? Also, there appears to be two handles on the slider/door on both sides. What would be the reason for two? Thanks, all. We are sure looking forward to our cruise!

We're booked on the Mariner -- cabin 1688 and have seen pictures of the slider going out to the balcony. Can anyone confirm if it is, indeed, a slider and not a door? Also, there appears to be two handles on the slider/door on both sides. What would be the reason for two? Thanks, all. We are sure looking forward to our cruise!

Absolutely certain! You've got a slider in 1688! :D I don't recall anything unusual about the door handles though. I think there is a handle that you turn up or down to lock/unlock the door and a handle that you grasp to pull the door open/closed (the doors are heavy and can be somewhat hard to pull in my opinion). But I really don't remember for sure what they looked like.

Thanks, Bonnie. I thought it looked like a slider. Here's a shot of what I'm told is 1688 on The Mariner. As you can see, the two handles are also on the outside. I can't figure that out, as the lock wouldn't be on the outside:confused:

WOW, My memory isn't the best, but I am almost certain I didn't have that on my slider! It looks very much like they have installed the door backwards or something! :eek: :p :D Here is a photo I took on the same balcony on Freedom and as you can see, we've got the indoor and outdoor "pull" handle to help push/pull the door open/closed. But there is no OTHER handle on the outside door that I am seeing...

2330082680036355651S500x500Q85.jpg

I have sailed on the Mariner twice, both times in 1688, and I don't remember the second handle either. I know I have pictures of the balcony but my husband has that laptop with him so I will check tonight when he gets home. I did just look at the pictures I have printed out but none of them has that particular view of the door.

I have another shot from the interior and that side, too, has two handles. I've seen where the interior has two handles, one being the lock -- but not on the outside. From my picture, it appears to have a sticker/label maybe explaining what it is for? We won't be on till next April. No big deal, we were just wondering and trying to figure it out. Thank you.:) (note,

I have another shot from the interior and that side, too, has two handles. I've seen where the interior has two handles, one being the lock -- but not on the outside. From my picture, it appears to have a sticker/label maybe explaining what it is for? We won't be on till next April. No big deal, we were just wondering and trying to figure it out. Thank you.:) (note, the

I have another shot from the interior and that side, too, has two handles. I've seen where the interior has two handles, one being the lock -- but not on the outside. From my picture, it appears to have a sticker/label maybe explaining what it is for? We won't be on till next April. No big deal, we were just wondering and trying to figure it out. Thank you.:) (note, the pictures

I have another shot from the interior and that side, too, has two handles. I've seen where the interior has two handles, one being the lock -- but not on the outside. From my picture, it appears to have a sticker/label maybe explaining what it is for? We won't be on till next April. No big deal, we were just wondering and trying to figure it out. Thank you.:) (note, the pictures are

I have another shot from the interior and that side, too, has two handles. I've seen where the interior has two handles, one being the lock -- but not on the outside. From my picture, it appears to have a sticker/label maybe explaining what it is for? We won't be on till next April. No big deal, we were just wondering and trying to figure it out. Thank you.:) (note, the pictures are just

I have another shot from the interior and that side, too, has two handles. I've seen where the interior has two handles, one being the lock -- but not on the outside. From my picture, it appears to have a sticker/label maybe explaining what it is for? We won't be on till next April. No big deal, we were just wondering and trying to figure it out. Thank you.:) (note, the pictures are just from the internet -- so I'm just assuming whoever posted them labeled them correctly as The Mariner.)

Archived