NCL have any signature dishes?

Bustaty

First time NCL cruiser here. Have been on assortment of different cruise lines, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Oceania.

Princess has the famous chocolate mousse dessert, does NCL also have a dessert that is popular?

How about entrees, anything I should try to taste? We are a pretty easy going bunch, so I am sure we will be happy no matter.

Ok, this is off the food topic, but hubby and I love our naps. Does your room steward make up you bed again for evening? I know this is such a piddily thing, lol, but we do enjoy a bed made up and we seem to have lucked out on all cruiselines so far, to have had really good room attendants. As I said at beginning of post, this is our first NCL, and the freestyle was chosen by our kids, as they have very little ones and feel it works better for them right now.

We are cruising with a few of our grandchildren, so it's gonna be a great time for us :)

I don't know if it is considered a "signature dish", but I highly recommend the Chateaubriand at Le Bistro. They also had something that I've never come across before, they were called Dolphin Potatoes. Essentially, I think it was about a table-spoon of mashed potatoes that seemed to be deep-fried with a light crispy shell (yummy!). These were also at Le Bistro, and since they may not come with your entree order some a la carte if you'd like to give them a try.

If you order the chocolate souffle at Le Bistro, order two - they're very small. ;)

PS: Our room was made up (at least) twice daily, once in the morning and again around dinner time.

I am sure if you mention it to your stewards they will be happy to make your beds again. As I recall my mom naps and they always made her bed again. And then topped it with a chocolate or towel animal.

I don't know if it is considered a "signature dish", but I highly recommend the Chateaubriand at Le Bistro. They also had something that I've never come across before, they were called Dolphin Potatoes. Essentially, I think it was about a table-spoon of mashed potatoes that seemed to be deep-fried with a light crispy shell (yummy!). These were also at Le Bistro, and since they may not come with your entree order some a la carte if you'd like to give them a try.

I saw a recent post with a link to the new 2.0 menus and the Chateaubriand is no longer on the menu. That is a shame because it was one of the best dishes I have ever had at sea.

Depending upon your ship, there will be a "wheel" right outside your door (do not disturb, make up cabin, turn down service) - just turn the wheel and as the cabin stewards walk through the hallway they will notice and take care of you.

Just in case though, the first time you meet your stewards, mention that you and DH like to nap in the afternoon and would appreciate having your bed made-up again before you turn in. DH and I are nappers also and once late afternoon/early evening arrives and we wake up and leave the cabin again, every time we've returned our bed as (at the very least) been straightened up again.

Enjoy your cruise (and your nap;) ).

I saw a recent post with a link to the new 2.0 menus and the Chateaubriand is no longer on the menu. That is a shame because it was one of the best dishes I have ever had at sea.

Oh Drat! I was really looking forward to having it again next May! :(

As was mentioned earlier, NCL's chilled fruit soups (especially Banana) are fabulous, kinda like a guilt-free dessert! They're the closest thing I can think of as being a "signature" offering.

My vote for most surprisingly amazing entree-----Short Ribs (whodda thunk it?) in Le Bistro. Oh, so tender!

Yep, I'm on the Frequent Napper program, too (it's those scopolomine patches, which keep seasickness at bay, but lull you to sleep by mid-afternoon). Our stewards have been great about remaking the bed, turning it down and leaving us with chocolates and towel animals (there's a kid in all of us).

Janet

NCL is the only cruise line I have ever seen that does raw fish appetizers so well. I highly recommend their "tuna tatare" a delicate shashimi tuna with a light sesame flavor. They also have outstanding gravlax, smoked salmon, and arctic char. One of the reasons we switched from Princess to NCL was their very adventurous menus. They have the standard fare as well, but if you are a foodie there are good choices on the menus too. Don't miss the chocolate souffles, and all the fresh cakes baked for the chocolate buffet, some of them won't be seen at all the rest of the week.

Signature: probably the chilled soups, but other great choices: esgargot, the best and their eggs benedict are better than any I have had in several years. Ofter the sause is blad, NCL using a little more lemon juice. I am not a big dessert eater, but last year had the coconut souffle on the last night.

Someone mentioned short ribs: I can remember and many of you over 50 might as well, when short ribs were considered a budget dish, served in the winter. My how things have changed, yes NCL does them right.

How about the mushroom soup in the bread bowl at Le Bistro if they still have it on the menu?

All of these are things I think about when thinking what does NCL do really well?

Nita

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We are an adventurous group, so their creativity will not be lost on us.

Yes, I remember short ribs being a more budget dish. I guess with prices on most food items, nothing is really budget. Takes some talent to make a cheaper cut of meat taste like filet mignon....well as tender as :).

Do you happen to have a link for the menu's especially for LeBistro???

Thanks so much!:rolleyes:

Without a doubt, try the chilled soups. As everyone has said.. OH SO GOOD.

The bread pudding on the buffet is excellent and I had actually forgotten that until a previous poster just reminded me.

The absolute best dessert I have ever had in my life has to be the soufflé’s on the NCL Star. They have all kinds. Vanilla with a strawberry cream sauce, chocolate soufflé with an Irish cream sauce, etc. They are SO delicious and NOT TO BE MISSED.

First time NCL cruiser here. Have been on assortment of different cruise lines, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Oceania.

Princess has the famous chocolate mousse dessert, does NCL also have a dessert that is popular?

How about entrees, anything I should try to taste? We are a pretty easy going bunch, so I am sure we will be happy no matter.

Ok, this is off the food topic, but hubby and I love our naps. Does your room steward make up you bed again for evening? I know this is such a piddily thing, lol, but we do enjoy a bed made up and we seem to have lucked out on all cruiselines so far, to have had really good room attendants. As I said at beginning of post, this is our first NCL, and the freestyle was chosen by our kids, as they have very little ones and feel it works better for them right now.

We are cruising with a few of our grandchildren, so it's gonna be a great time for us :)

Le Bistro has their "signature" chocolate fondue for desert. If you are a chocolate lover, I highly recommend this desert.

DH and I take a nap every day. NCL cabin attendant makes up the room in the morning and again in the evening, there is turn down service.

The bread pudding on the buffet is excellent and I had actually forgotten that until a previous poster just reminded me.

The absolute best dessert I have ever had in my life has to be the soufflé’s on the NCL Star. They have all kinds. Vanilla with a strawberry cream sauce, chocolate soufflé with an Irish cream sauce, etc. They are SO delicious and NOT TO BE MISSED.

Oh thank you for that information. :)

the chocolate fondue is not to be missed at Le Bistro...although not on the menu, it is available by special request. Also, the bread pudding at the buffet (selection changes daily) was heavenly.

The new menu now lists the Chocolate Fondue again. For a short while, the menu did not list it, but it does now.

Recently on Dawn, a couple of months ago, we didn't see any souflees on the menu. We loved them in the past but I don't think they are offered any more.

December 13,-20ish 2007 the cabin steward made up our room in the morning., cleaned and left ice. They also cleaned, turned down the beds, left towel animals, left chocolates and left ice in the PM while we were at dinner.

Enjoy!:)

Archived