What are the best exercusions for St. Thomas/St. Joh

mumom95

We are a family of four, the kids will be 8 and 9 during the cruise.

Any recommendations for excursions in St. Thomas/St. John? We are a pretty adventerous family.

Just thought it would be nice to see what excursions people have done and what they liked and didn't like.

Thanks for any input!!

A lot of the adventurious excursions wont take kids as young as yours,

but there re a couple of exciting ones I can think of that are ok for their ages.

St. Thomas

The Screamin Eagle jet boat ride is a real rush!! The fast part of the ride is only about 30 minutes long but that is enough, by then your hands need a break from hanging on:D that still leaves you plenty of tiem to do some shopping or explore the area.

The sky tram is fun and you can just go and buy a ticket right there on your own. any taxi will take you there is you tender, but if you dock, just walk to the far side of the shopping area by the port and it is directly across the street.

Also we enjoyed the Eco Hike on St. Johns island, its not a thrill but it is fun and a nice hike with a 30 minute swim towards the end. the guide will give you a lot of history while you hike. warning, the only bathroom is on the ferry to take you to St. Johns and right where you meet for your hike there is a bathroom, after that your out of luck. They did give us a bottle of ice cold water which you will need. Be warned both these islands typically have a quick shower everyday. so if you dont want to get wet, take a poncho in your bag.

St. Maartin,

nothing adventruious for the kids ages , but the semi sub is nice for seeing the things you would see if you were snorkeling without getting wet.

Both place you can do a beach excursion, be advised many beaches are clothing optional.

Now if you just want to see the islands,, both places have island tours which are good for seeing the islands, we have done them on both islands.

both have butterfly farm excursions which are fun and tons of beautiful butterflies but it is NOT an exciting excursion.

mom x4,grandma x4

Bummer, I was hoping there would be some good snorkeling excursions to go on. The kids snorkeled for the first time this summer and loved it, so I was hoping to do it on the cruise also. I didn't realize they would be too young for those.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the ones you mentioned.

You might be able ot go to Coral world at St.Thomas on your own. I think it is $11 each for a taxi to get there. small admission to get itno the park, but off to one end is a beach where you can snorkel and I dont think there is an age limit.

I think their web site is www.coralworld.com they have a small underwater observatory there and some exhibits. then down a trail is a beach wit h snorkeling and water trampolines and such, check that out for them.

also they can snorkel at castaway cay

mom x4,grandma x4

In St. Thomas you will probably have an excursion to St. John for snorkeling. St. John is about 75% national park and they have a beautiful beach with an underwater snorkeling trail. St. John is adjacent to St. Thomas... Kids would love it...

Also, we did BOB in ST. Thomas. This is the Breathing Observation Bubble which is a big bubble that goes over your head and pushes in Oxygen so you can breath underwater. You then ride scooters about 15 feet or so below the surface, all very safe and with a guide. Not sure if the kids are too young but it was one of the best excrusions out there if still available. Not sure about age limits...

Here's a link to Bob.

http://www.simonwhatley.co.uk/bob-the-breathing-observation-bubble

I just got back from St. Thomas on a cruise and it was by far my favorite stop. We did the kayak, hike, and snorkel on St. Thomas. It was unforgettable. The guides made sure we respected the habitat and taught us so much about the mangroves in Cas Cay.

I"m sure you can book through the ship, but you might look at booking yourself at....

http://www.viecotours.com/

We took our third Disney Cruise to the Eastern Carribbean in February and booked the Trunk's Bay tour in St. John. If you want a relaxing morning with fun snorkeling in a beautiful setting - I would highly recommend it. A bonus on that tour is the boat ride from St. Thomas where you pass many celebrity's homes.

Archived