Guys gimme some advice --

Odoyal Rulez

Okay heres the layout. I booked an I1 suite. Since its our first cruise (me and new fiance)I figured itd be nice to have a balcony and bigger room, what not, even tho we'll probably only be in it to sleep.

We have like 12 days off work to do this 3 day cruise then hang around miami and have fun. However with the budget the way it is, we could miss out on doing a lot of fun stuff in miami/keys because of $$.

By taking a guaranteed carnival assigned OV room id save a little over $600...which is a nice chunk of money.

SO heres where i need some advice. I know, obviously itll suck not having a balcony and what not...but is this suite really worth the extra 600 dollars knowing we'll be out on the ship the majority of the trip (that and atlantis on the day we are in the bahamas). I also know we'll miss out on the VIP boarding...but in my head im thinking id rather be able to hit a really fancy restaurant in Miami than have a little extra space and a balcony for a couple days.

Also ive read some iffy things about carnival assigned rooms. How does that work? If i book this OV room, they just randomly assign you one at the last minute?

Also...since my cruise is like 42 days away am I able to change my rooms without incurring a penalty or am i stuck where i am?

Any advice would be great guys..id like to get this fixed tomorrow if enough of you make a case for it.

Sounds like you are on a Fantasy class ship which doesnt have balconys so you had to jump to a suite.

Since you say you will miss out doing things in Miami due to $$$$ if you book a suite, then just get a cheap cabin. Your financee should still be happy. Even a inside guarantee, you are on the same cruise, full bed to sleep together and can spend the money in the ports, for tips and Miami and all that. You dont want to have to come home broke, to me thats no fun.

I would book what I can afford so as not to break the bank.

You only did a three day cruise :confused: If you had time you could have done a longer cruise and had a OV cabin for probably the same price.....too late to change now.

Miami is a great town with lots to do - I would switch cabins and spend the money in Miami. As you stated you will not be in your cabin fr very long and it is only a three day cruise so if you hate the room, the trip will be over before you know it.

Good luck

I agree, Cat 11 or 12 on a Fantasy class ship is a horrible value. Surely, balconies are wonderful but compare the price per night of the Cat 11 balcony, the least expensive on the ship to a cat 8A on other classes. The lack of value really jumps out at you.

Still, if you want a balcony, that's how you'll have to go.

I sure can't be the one to lecture you on those points though because our first Carnival cruise was on the Fascination, mom, dad and two kids, in a Cat 12 suite. We wanted that so we could have a place to escape all the old people we were sure would make up most of the guests. Boy was that wrong.

On the other hand, by the end of the first day we all agreed that it was the best vacation ever. By the end of the cruise the only regret was that it was not longer.

On your first cruise you will probably try to do much more than you will on cruises that follow. I know we did and that's a good reason to go with the "Oh, but you don't spend much time in your cabin" crowd. I think they're wrong most of the time but in your case they're probably right; you probably won't spend much time in the cabin except to sleep, shower and ...

As far as the Oceanview cabin is concerned, I just think Oceanview cabins are a waste of money unless you have a real need to keep the world in perspective and need to look out that window and see where you are. Otherwise, save the money and book an inside cabin. Personally, I think that's a great choice for you on your first cruise.

If paying for a suite made you a big shot, make yourself a bigger shot by saving $1000 and buying the lady something that sparkles. God knows there are plenty of opportunities for that!

I realize it is a bit late but 12 days off and only 3 of those spent on a cruise and the rest in Miami?

Well the money you spent on the suite you could have done a 5,6 or 7 day cruise with a decent room on newer ship.

You could try to downgrade and see what happens. I don't know as I have never done it.

You will still have a great time and you can write this off as a learning experience.

I am sure you will have a rental car in Miami so driving to Ft Lauderdale will be easy enough as there are plenty of things to do there.

If you are adventureous you could also spend a few days in Orlando at the theme parks too.

Also a nice drive to Key West could be in order.

12 days. I am sure you can fill it in FL!

Have fun no matter what you do!

Me being a balcony snob I would book the oceanview and save the money for other things. I cannot justify the price they want for a Cat 11 suite on the fantasy ships. They don't even compare to a much cheaper balcony cabin on a bigger ship. I think they are a rip for the price IMO......

I'll add that the Cat.11 "suites" [they are just rooms, not suites] have no privacy on the balcony at all. Anybody standing on the vista wing forward can [AND WILL] look straight into the cat.11 balcs.

Bad buy.

Dan

I figured itd be nice to have a balcony and bigger room, what not, even tho we'll probably only be in it to sleep.

We have like 12 days off work to do this 3 day cruise then hang around miami and have fun. However with the budget the way it is, we could miss out on doing a lot of fun stuff in miami/keys because of $$.

Ummmm...not exactly. There are lots of "activities" one can enjoy on a balcony ;)

I would have 86'd Miami and taken a longer cruise.

Whatever you do...have fun.

Ummmm...not exactly. There are lots of "activities" one can enjoy on a balcony ;)

I would have 86'd Miami and taken a longer cruise.

Whatever you do...have fun.

I agree with Livtojump and if possible have a funner longer cruise:Dand not spend time and money in Miami.

DW and I have had a Cat. 11 or JS on our last 5 cruises, but each was for 7 days. The cruise before that was in an inside room on the Sensation for 4 days to the Bahamas. As you are doing 3 days, the Cat. 11 is not worth the $$ for the 3 days you will cruise, especially your 1st cruise.

I would absolutely get the lower costing room!!!! a balcony is super sweet but not worth the extra money on such a sort cruise.......heck you are almost better off booking back to back cruises in an interior room then just booking a 3 day cruise with a balcony. you are never in your room anyway and if you want a balcony go up to the main pool area and enjoy the biggest balcony there is!!!!!!

I have taken 5 cruises in a category 11 suite, including one on the Fantasy. The cat. 11's on the bigger ships are worth the extra money (unless you can get a 9A aft wrap!), but I will never pay the extra for a suite on a Fantasy class ship. There are several cat. 11's on that class that have a life boat directly in front of the balcony. Yours might be one of those. The balcony is tiny, and as someone said, it is NOT private. People walking on the deck below can look up, directly into your balcony. So take the OV and spend the money on something worthwhile. A cat. 11 on a Fantasy class is NOT worthwhile, in my opinion. Also, if you can change to a longer cruise, do it!!

Thanks for the advice guys. I called Carnival today and had them switch it up...saved $525.

Ive never been on a vacation before and never seen an ocean, which is one big reason why we wanted to do the cruise..but also spend time around Florida sightseeing. Also got a 20+ hour drive to get there ha ha...

I wonder how long it takes for the money to get credited back to my card...anyone know that?

Archived