Dry dock QM2

cruzadict

Just been down to Southampton to see her this morning.

The in hull balconys have NOT been enclosed as some people thought.

LLoks like she has had a nice new paint job.:)

Good, because that's what I am booking. :D

Were there any other changes made? Some had speculated about the pools.

I spotted her on the Southampton webcam, now if only the bridge crew would turn on her webcam. I'm boarding the ship when she arrives in NYC on Friday.

:D :D If it is not on by then, you WILL remind them when you get there right? ;) :D :D

I found this collection of photos from Nov 14th as the ship returned to Southampton.

http://flickr.com/photos/hythe-eye/archives/date-taken/2008/11/14/

It is interesting to note that the red at the waterline seems to be darker than that on the ship before she went into dry dock. It looks to me to be more like that that was put on during the 2005 refit which quickly rubbed down to that ugly pinkish look. Is there anyone who went down to Southampton on the 14th or 15th that saw the ship (maybe in sunlight) who could clarify whether or not it is different. Also I found this pic from Nov 8

Queen Mary 2, take 2

which shows the funnel as more orange but those from the 14th appear to be red, again it could be the lack of sunlight but I am curious as to what it actually is...

I found this collection of photos from Nov 14th as the ship returned to Southampton.

It is interesting to note that the red at the waterline seems to be darker than that on the ship before she went into dry dock. It looks to me to be more like that that was put on during the 2005 refit which quickly rubbed down to that ugly pinkish look. Is there anyone who went down to Southampton on the 14th or 15th that saw the ship (maybe in sunlight) who could clarify whether or not it is different. Also I found this pic from Nov 8

Queen Mary 2, take 2

which shows the funnel as more orange but those from the 14th appear to be red, again it could be the lack of sunlight but I am curious as to what it actually is...

Thanks for the photos. I too am curious about all the changes,

and hope someone soon will clue us all in on the updates.

Take Care,

Barb - TXTraveler

Queen Mary 2, take 2

Reds are tough to call because some digital cameras interpret them differently - some lower end cameras can make them look more orange, etc.

Will be interesting to hear from people onboard!

The following is from the Cunard website regarding recent work done on QM2. It appears the Chart Room has had a makeover. I'm curious what it looks like. I loved it the way it was (very elegant) so I hope they didn't botch it up.

They have also installed wireless communication and a cell tower for cell reception at sea.

Ernie

Queen Mary 2's dry dock has allowed Cunard to ensure the ship is looking pristine for her fifth anniversary year with a new refurbishment of the nautically themed Chart Room, featuring a new colour scheme and layout, carpet, drapes and furniture; the installation of a canopy providing a wonderful al fresco dining option for our Todd English Restaurant guests; and the replacement of some stateroom corridor carpets as well as French polishing and upholstery work in the Britannia restaurant, Royal Court Theatre and Canyon Ranch SpaClub.

It appears the Chart Room has had a makeover. I'm curious what it looks like. I loved it the way it was (very elegant) so I hope they didn't botch it up.

I agree with you. As was, the Chart Room was one of the most successful venues on board. I have seen virtually no complaint about it; just the opposite. It is strange that Cunard opted to alter this place, when so many complaints are heard, for example, about the Winter Garden or the Kings Court. :confused:

I wonder what they have done. Have they added more seats to increase revenue? Let's hope that the new arrangement does not reduce the elegance of the room.

She certainly does look smart again. I also hear they have installed wirless access in the cabins, and imo not such a good move, mobile phone access when at sea:(

They took away the one last excuse I had for cruising - the fact that I could not be reached at sea by my office.

Hello! Hello! HELLO!! Hello Aunty, Can you hear Me? It’s me, ME, yes me Araminta. Hello Aunty, how are you? No dear No, not Armani, Ararminta. YES I’m on the ship -- The ship. You know the QM2. Yes I’m on the ship. I'm talking to you from the SHIP! We’re on the Atlantic. Yes the Atlantic. Isn’t it wonderful we can talk? What’s that? I’m sorry Aunty you’re breaking up. No dear no, the ship’s not breaking up, you are. What’s the weather like at home? It’s raining well it’s foggy here. Ha ha ha yes foggy. How’s uncle Arnold? How’s his leg?

What time is it at home? No Aunty I haven’t lost the watch you gave me when I was eight. But the time is different. IT’S DIFFERENT, yes different. Oh it’s 11 o’clock here, what time is it there? Nine o’clock Ha ha ha ha isn’t it funny? We had toast for breakfast, what did you have? Oh kellogs how nice. Well I must go Aunty I’ve got forty-seven other calls to make. I’ll call you again twice a day till we reach New York and we can have a good chat. Yes must rush a man has just started frothing at the mouth and has pick up a big bit of wood. Byeeee BYEEEE. Love to uncle Arnold and ……………. HEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!

Gari

Archived