Naples/Sorrento/Pompeii/Herculaneum/Naples

I have been reading so many threads I think I've damaged my sight:eek:! Will be in Naples Oct 1 and am now thinking that getting the hydrofoil to Sorrento (will be simpler than finding the train station) then train back to Pompeii, then Herculaneum and if humanly possible seeing the Museum in Naples.

Questions:

1. Ferry or hydrofoil?? I am assuming the ferry will be more scenic but how much longer will it take? Is Sorrento the first stop? What is the fare for each?

2. Pompeii - what is the usual length of guided tour?

3. Herculaneum - ditto?

I know it will be a "taster" trip only but as I'm travelling with my DH and 14 yr old daughter, 2 hrs at each venue will probably be their limit but I would like to do it all. If necessary will drop the Museum??(We arrive 0800 and leave 1900.)

Am I insane??

JannieAnn

Having been to Naples many times I think you are trying to do way too much in one day. While your ship arrives at 8:00 AM you may not be off the ship untll say 8:30 AM. And, while your ship leaves at 7:00 PM you have to be back by 6:30 PM and I just wouldn't cut things too tight.

There are lines, tickets to be bought, the fact that there can be train delays and the like.

If you want a recommendation it's to do less and to enjoy what you are seeing. I have seen too many people over the years just run around and you know if they can do it again they would do less so they could enjoy themselves.

One of the challenges of a cruise in the Mediterranean that tends to be rather port intensive is to pace yourself.

For Pompeii allow at least two hours and that will just give you a flavor.

Keith

I totally agree with Keith. We took the ship's excursion to Pompeii and got back to town around 12:30 which gave us time to go back onboard and freshen up then a walk to find some pizza and beer. We probably could have done the Museum as well.

The traffic in and out of Naples can be pokey at times; our bus was slow getting back into Naples because of an accident on the highway.

Best bet maybe to combine some of your options and take a ship excursion and then they will be responsible to ensure you are back on time.

We loved Pompeii and enjoyed Naples; plan to go to the Museum next summer. Photo and review of our cruise in the links below.

Kathy:)

Our 1st trip to Naples we did Pompeii and Herculaneum. This last trip we did Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii.

Doing Pompeii and Herculaneum was good. We spent the morning at Pompeii and the afternoon at Herculaneum. We had enough time at each and really enjoyed the day.

This last trip, trying to do three sites, was just too much. Lots of time was spent traveling between the sites, and not enough at the actual sites. Due to traffic, we actually made it back to the ship late.

Unless you really have to go to three places, I would recommend cutting it down to two choices. More time to wander and enjoy what you are actually seeing.

Hi everyone!

So I have meticulously plotted out an itinerary for when I'm in Naples that should allow us to do Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri, using public transportation. It basically goes like this:

Ship arrives 7am

8:24am train from Naples to Pompeii

Tour Pompeii - 2h15m

Train to Sorrento, arrive just before noon.

Tour Sorrento and lunch - 2 hrs

Hydrofoil to Capri, arrive 2:10pm

Tour Capri for 3 hours

5:10pm hydrofoil back to Naples, arrives around 6pm, for 7pm ship sailing.

Does this sound crazy? I can cut some time off Sorrento to get more in Capri, it doesn't seem like there's that much to do in Sorrento. But it does seem like the best way to get from Pompeii to Capri (train to hydrofoil). What can I do in Capri in 3 hours? Enough to ride chairlift to mountaintop? Blue Grotto?

My other alternative is to just splurge on a private tour and do Pompeii and Positano/Amalfi coast, skipping Capri. There will be 4 of us, so I think we have to "upgrade" to a minivan as the sedans seem to be for 3 passengers, so it will be a bit expensive (though certainly cheaper than the ship's excursions!).

Any suggestions appreciated!

Hi everyone!

So I have meticulously plotted out an itinerary for when I'm in Naples that should allow us to do Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri, using public transportation. It basically goes like this:

Ship arrives 7am

Tour Pompeii - 2h15m

Tour Capri for 3 hours

Does this sound crazy? I can cut some time off Sorrento to get more in Capri, it doesn't seem like there's that much to do in Sorrento. But it does seem like the best way to get from Pompeii to Capri (train to hydrofoil). What can I do in Capri in 3 hours? Enough to ride chairlift to mountaintop? Blue Grotto?

My other alternative is to just splurge on a private tour and do Pompeii and Positano/Amalfi coast, skipping Capri. There will be 4 of us, so I think we have to "upgrade" to a minivan as the sedans seem to be for 3 passengers, so it will be a bit expensive (though certainly cheaper than the ship's excursions!).

I would start worrying with item 1. Although the ship docks at 7am, it may take awhile before passengers can disembark and those on ship sponsored excursions usually go first. If you were able to get off by 8:00 it leaves you only 24 minutes to find the train station and buy a ticket for the trip to Pompeii. Again in Pompeii it is a question of the distance between the train and the site (I don't know how far it is and if it is walkable). Overall it seems pretty ambitious but others will have a better sense of whether or do it is achievable.

Kathy:)

IAgain in Pompeii it is a question of the distance between the train and the site (I don't know how far it is and if it is walkable). Kathy:)
No worries in Pompeii--it's about a 5 minute walk from the train station to the site. In Sorrento--maybe a 10 minute walk from the train station to the town center.

Les

Hi everyone!

Ship arrives 7am

Tour Pompeii - 2h15m

Tour Capri for 3 hours

I still think too much but you have to be happy with what you do. If it was me, I would not be taking the Hydrofoil back at that late hour. What is your backup plan if the hydrofoil is canceled due to a mechanical problem or some other problem? It's too late in my opinion.

Keit

I still think too much but you have to be happy with what you do. If it was me, I would not be taking the Hydrofoil back at that late hour. What is your backup plan if the hydrofoil is canceled due to a mechanical problem or some other problem? It's too late in my opinion.

OK, thanks. There is another ferry I think a half hour later, but it sounds like my best bet is to cut down the time in Sorrento and just head straight through to Capri and take even earlier boat back to Naples.

Of course the real back-up plan I guess is a ferry to Palermo, the next stop on the itinerary... :-)

OK, thanks. There is another ferry I think a half hour later, but it sounds like my best bet is to cut down the time in Sorrento and just head straight through to Capri and take even earlier boat back to Naples.

Of course the real back-up plan I guess is a ferry to Palermo, the next stop on the itinerary... :-)

You have it right. Your best bet is to cut back on what you have planned. If it was me, I wouldn't chance missing the ship even if I could meet up with it the next day.

Remember, just like the USA, public transporation does not always run on time.

The best advice I can give for all of the ports you will visit, is not to throw in so much that you are just running from place to place. No matter what you do, there will be so much that you won't see. So, my advice is what you do see, to do it up right.

Enjoy!

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone!

Ship arrives 7am

Tour Pompeii - 2h15m

Tour Capri for 3 hours

So I just wanted to share an update, for posterity.

We ended up doing essentially what I posted above. Made the 8:24 train to Pompeii no problem -- took a taxi to the train station for 10 euros (bargained down from 15, but unintentionally as we were just going to take a bus, but this certainly was easier...). I did compress some of the schedule above, so all we did in Sorrento was walk from the train station down to the dock and have lunch. Didn't do much in Capri either -- Blue Grotto boats were sold out by about 1:30, but the funicular line wasn't too bad (well it was right after a few ferries arrived, but shrunk after a short while). So we did walk around Capri town a little and took in the views. Ended up taking a 4:30 boat back to Naples.

In summary, this tour was definitely doable, but obviously only allows you a brief taste of each of the sites. For me, that's fine. I really wanted to see both Pompeii and Capri, and going via Sorrento seemed the most efficient way, and we did get to see a beautiful setting for a town. And it was significantly cheaper than doing an excursion through the ship or a private tour. If I do get back to Capri for a whole day or even longer, I definitely want to do the Blue Grotto, a boat tour around the island, and the chairlift up to the top of the mountain. But if I wanted to do all that on this trip, it would have meant missing Pompei altogether.

Good on you Gordiej! How brave of you to go with your plan. I originally posted with the thought that we might be able to squeeze in Sorrento as well as Pompeii and Herc. but am now chickening out. Am now actually thinking of giving Pompeii a miss alsoand concentrating on Herculaneum as we would probably want to spend more time at the Museum in Naples and seeing something of Naples itself. Pompeii is so large an area. I also read the post about missing the ship.....I certainly don't want that sort of stress on my holiday so am happy to miss Sorrento. Am taking the advice of most postings and not try to stack too much into the trip but enjoy fully what I can. Thanks to all.

Archived