tips in europe

referee

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but, i'll ask anyway. although our cruise on the voyager of the seas is more than a year away, we plan to spend a few days in Barcelona prior to the cruise. I'm curious as to what is a proper tip(euros) for a taxi driver, bellhop, waiter ,etc...thanks in advance

Most of what I have read is that tips for bellman, taxis, etc are smaller than in the US. Rounding up restaurant checks to the next Euro is common as tip is already included. For taxis, 10 - 15% tip in Euro. For bellmen, I would think a couple of Euro coin per bag would be ok, but I might be off base given how weak the dollar is.

Read your restaurant bills as most include the tip under one word or another for gratuity. Most guide books spell this out.

In the hotels in Barcelona as in most of Europe there were no bellman. We had to manage our own luggage. This is also typical in London unless you are staying at an extremely high cost hotel. Luggage is do it yourself.

Barecelona is a very Exspensive City. we paid $300 a night for the hotel and it was like a very average motel room. no portage, no fridge, no tea or coffee facilites, no iron, and a very poor aircon. it gets hot in BCN.The taxi driver will rip you off he charges extra passengers plus extra for each peice of baggage.so don,t tip, the waiters are ok you don,t have to tip just round it off to the nearest Euro.

Many taxis in European cities charge extra for luggage. It is not uncommon.

For Americans, everything/everywhere in Europe is very pricey at the moment. Our dollar does not go very far.

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not, but, i'll ask anyway. although our cruise on the voyager of the seas is more than a year away, we plan to spend a few days in Barcelona prior to the cruise. I'm curious as to what is a proper tip(euros) for a taxi driver, bellhop, waiter ,etc...thanks in advance

In restaurants the price shown on the menu has to include any tax. Only when the menu indicates 'IVA no incluido' (VAT not included) can this be added to the bill. It's seven percent. This is not a tip, it's tax, and tips of 5-10% are expected on top of this tax. If you just stop for a coffee or small snack, just leave some small coins, or round up to the nearest Euro and leave that as a tip.

Taxi drivers do not expect a tip, but if you wish to tip, customary is 5-10%. Tip hotel porters and maids between .80 and 1E per day. Always tip in cash if you want to be sure the correct person receives the money.

Archived