Pacsafe bags question

This type of bag (I think the brand name depends on who is selling them) is sold by companies like Travelsmith or Magellen. These bags have a thin wire in the strap; slash proof sides and bottom panels and tamperproof zipper clips. I've been fortunate so far that I have not been a victim of being robbed by someone slashing the strap (or the bag itself)...but for awhile now I've been considering buying one of these bags for travel...the question I have is if you have one of these bags...have you had any problems going thru security at the airport and such? I mean I know you put your 'handbag' in the bin where it will be x-rayed...but has anyone had a problem 'cause there is a metal cable built into the strap of said handbag?

Really would appreciate any information about this. Thank you.

Safe travels to all.

Betty

As long as it goes through the scanner, you shouldn't have a problem--most purses have some sort of metal on them--either zippers, buttons, ornaments.... a wire in the strap shouldn't be a problem--shoot-some straps are made of chain!

We have the PacSafe MetroSafe 200 and never even got a second glance (traveled through O'Hare, Madrid, Barcelona, and Heathrow). We love ours and we were pickpocket free all through Europe. I HIGHLY recommend their bags. We felt much safer. It was the perfect small travel bag for purchases, money, and guidebooks! We bought ours at Sierra Trading Post for less than half of other places.

I've been looking at those bags, but am not sure about the straps.

The pictures I've seen make the straps look like stiff rounds of cable rather than bendable straps that just happen to be fortified with a thin cable inside them. :confused:

Questions for Jen. Does the cable run inside or outside of straps? Are the straps flexible?

TIA,

Azure Moon

We carry a few Pacsafe waistpacks in the store I work in, none of the shoulder strap bags or other bags. So, I can only tell you what I think of the product in relation to the waistpacks. They are leather, but not top quality, better than vinyl, though. You really can't tell the straps have a cable through them, it's probably a fine wire or a fine mesh, the straps are not very thick, they are stiffer than a typical leather strap.

We do sell a few of them, I'd not wear one but that is personal preference. Looking at the shoulder bag, it's not a style I'd carry around home and I don't shop for items just to take on vacation, I want more value from them.

Just make sure wherever you buy it that you have a good return policy and you don't spend a fortune on shipping charges in case you choose to return the item.

I'm always concerned about personal safety and not having my bag stolen or slashed at home or during travel, I make sure I keep it close to my body. I have a lightweight Kipling bag I use that has a thick strap and wear it across my body rather than hanging off my shoulder.

I searched for the item on Sierra Trading, but could not find it. They have some other great deals on luggage, though. Some Victorinox that has been discontinued for a while is there if you don't mind mismatching your luggage pieces, it's been discontinued and mostly sold out everywhere for a while now.

Happy KS...thank you for your reply...I looked for it on Sierra Trading Post after I posted...but could not find any Pacsafe type bags offered now either. For 1/2 price it would have been worth checking out. I did find them available at e-bags, Magellen and also at Travelsmith...depending on the type and size of the bag---anywhere from $39.99 to over a hundred dollars. On our last cruise...one of the other pax that we were friendly with had one but I didn't ask to touch it or anything.

Anyway...will look at the return policy before I make the decision if I will order one or not.

Betty

I've been looking at those bags, but am not sure about the straps.

The pictures I've seen make the straps look like stiff rounds of cable rather than bendable straps that just happen to be fortified with a thin cable inside them. :confused:

Questions for Jen. Does the cable run inside or outside of straps? Are the straps flexible?

TIA,

Azure Moon

The cables are inside the strap. The strap is slightly stiffer than if it were just a regular canvas bag. I would have to compare it to a new leather handle, stiff but not awkward by any means. It is flexible and it moves with you, so you aren't going to bend the cable. It was comfortable enough to wear all day, which is a big plus.

Sierra Trading Post doesn't continually stock them, unfortunately. They get the discontinued colors, so if you aren't going for a while, it doesn't hurt to keep checking. Also Base Gear has them, usually just $10 or so off regular price. Base Gear also has flat rate shipping ($5.95 under $50/over $50 is free).

This company has Pacsafe products at pretty good prices. http://www.basegear.com/pacsafe.html

I have the Citysafe 200, and I love it. It really does look like a purse though. Also it is not leather, but heavy duty fabric (vinyl I think). The strap is adjustable, and you can't feel the cables. The fabric is easy to clean. All of the pockets - even the outside ones - are zippered. I like that, no open gaping pockets for your things to be snatched from.

Thank you all for posting your comments, experiences and recommendations about this type of bag for traveling. And Azure Moon..you are welcome.

There is a fairly long thread over on the Celebrity boards about pick pocket precautions and there were several who commented about using one of these type of bags while in a port plus other tips.

Again thanks and safe travels to all.

Betty

I have the pac safe tote bags that I bought on sierra trading post for less than 20 last year. I took them to europe and they were great. the straps have the wire inside of them and are a little stiff. they went through the security systems without a problem. I use them here to carry my laptop and feel more secure with them. They are a little heavier IMO than a regular tote bag but the added security is worth it for me.

hello

How heavy is the CitySafe200? It says 21oz, but does it feel heavy empty? I was trying to decide between a small or medium size bag but want something lightweight at the same time.

Thank you:)

When deciding on the size just keep in mind that if you are flying, you will have to put it in your carry on. Nowadays, a lot of airlines only allow you to carry on one thing.

Does this mean one bag in addition to a purse - or just one bag. I am flying soon and I thought one tote and one purse.

Check with your airline. Several people posting on cruise critic have said they had to put their purses inside their carryons.

Just would like to reinforce the opinion that Pac Safe are pretty cool products. I have the City Safe 100 and use it everyday. I know that it is smaller but I can get it into a general carry-on for the one bag carry on purpose. I wear it across the front of my body with total confidence. There is only one thing about the strap that I would redesign and that is the small clip on the one side that is attaching the strap to the handbag. Too easy to unclip for a thief. SO out came the duct tape which I wrapped around the clip mechanism to hide it. Then when I came home I just removed the duct tape. May need it in Rome but not in Raleigh. I also have their small neck carry pouch I can wear under my shirt in which I keep extra money, a credit card, phone numbers and a laminated copy of the front of my passport. The reinforced straps and strings are great confidence builders for all kinds of adventures.

Does this mean one bag in addition to a purse - or just one bag. I am flying soon and I thought one tote and one purse.

I fly every week and most airlines (AA, Delta, United, US Airways, etc) still allow one carry on and one personal item. I have never had a problem. My larger carry on goes in the overhead bin and my purse goes under the seat in front of me.

I have the Pacsafe Metro 200 and have always been a supporter of these bags, but I am kinda unhappy with them right now. I got mine last summer for a trip to Europe and it worked great. This year, I took it back to Europe, but about half way through the trip, I noticed it was catching on my pants and shirts. Come to find out that the metal cable in the side of the bag was sticking out and catching on everything! I stuck a bandaid on it so I could get through the trip, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Hello everyone,

I received my PacSafe "SlingSafe 200" yesterday. I think it is really nice. it looks like a very simple black bag. It is very light and rests close to the body. You could use this bag every day. The bag will also fit easily into an airline carryon tote.

Hope I never have its safety features put to a test!!!:eek:

I thought I would revisit this thread since we got some of the product in our store yesterday. I have to say, it's quite an improvement over what the older stuff is :)

My favorite piece is the sling safe:

lb299_dt.jpg

Followed by the handbag:

lb379_cth.jpg

Some of the others at work like the backpack as well, I'm just not the backpack type of person, plus I feel they are not as secure as a bag worn across the body.

LB090_dt.jpg

The price point is good, all of the products are under $100. If I didn't already have a bag quite similar, I'd more than likely consider one of the sling safes for travel purposes. Black is my favorite color, followed by the taupe or sage.

Archived