A question for those lucky people who have been on Summit recently

bubbie617

Is On Point, the acapella group, still performing on Summit? They were one of the highlights of our cruise at the end of March/beginning of April. We are definitely hoping to run into them on a ship some time in the future. They were great.

We chatted with them on our June 28 sailing and they said this was their last voyage as their 6 month contract ended. One of them was returning to Memphis, I believe, to continue his work in computers.

Without a doubt they were the highlight of the entertainment on the Summit.

My husband and I will be going on the Summit to the Mediterranean on 9/8/08. We had booked all of our tours with Celebrity, but then reading the posts on these threads made us realize that many people book private tours that seem to show you a lot more. We had then decided to book three private tours and are planning to cancel the ship tours. I happened to be talking with my travel agent this morning and mentioned to her that we were going to do some private tours and she VERY strongly suggested that she did not think that was a good idea. She said if something happened like an accident or not getting back to the ship on time it would be our problem and expense to meet the ship at the next port.

Any input on this? Is it a bad idea to go on private tours? Has anyone ever had a bad experience or has anyone ever heard of someone else having a problem.

Janice

I think the best thing you could do is book private tours!!

I was on the Summit in May and I took 3 private tours (in Naples , Livorno and Rome). While on my tours , sometimes we´d run into the big Celebrity groups and every single time I´d thank God that I was on my own .

Reasons:

Flexability- more than once , we made changes in plans due to energy levels , interests and new recommendations from the guides.

Ability to see a great deal more-when you are on your own , you don´t have to stop at Celebrity approved stores , factories etc, plus you don´t have to wait for latecomers etc.

One on one attention-Sorry , but seeing the big groups reminded me of people being herded along like cattle. I know some people must love the experience , but I´d rather cut costs in other areas and really see the country and have a guide to answer my questions and do what we want.

As far as a danger of not getting back to the ship , if you allow for ample time , should not be a problem. Just don´t be a daredevil and push your luck.

Some ports , do your own tours. In Santorini , we rented a car for the day and had a wonderful day.

Good luck and have fun.!!!

Kim

We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise aboard the Summit and did only private tours in every port. We were originally sceduled for the same cruise last summer and had booked ship tours but since we had a year to research we decided to go private and we were thankful we did. 8 of us in airconditioned Mercedes minivans was fabulous. In some places we had private guides as well as the driver. I am a major worrywart and not once did I fret about not getting back to the ship in time. Private is the way to go if you have enough people to share the cost.

Kim and Kindercrisp.... Thank you so much for the info on the private tours. I am definitely a worrywart (in fact lately, I have worried about so many things that I'm driving my husband crazy). He said he is going to nickname me "worrywart". Glad to hear that someone else worries also. I was pretty comfortable about the private tours until I talked to my travel agent this morning.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Janice

We did the Med on Century last fall, and did every port but one on our own. I can't tell you how highly I recommend it! We did Florence on the ship's tour and hated it. It was expensive, and we felt totally like cattle. We walked for four hours without an opportunity to sit down once! The last straw was when they took us to a neat old Italian restaurant for lunch and they served us. . .get this. . .roast beef and mashed potatoes!

In most ports we rented cars and had a ball, did Rome on our own (no car!) etc. You get much more of a feel for the place when you are just meandering about rather than on a schedule! Never had one moment's anxiety about getting back to the ship, either. Just MHO.

Cathy

Cathy....Thanks for the reply. I see that you are from the Grand Teton area. My husband and adult son just came back from a Grand Teton, Yellowstone vacation last week. He definitely agrees that it is just an absolutely beautiful area. They both loved every minute of it and they have not stopped talking about it. My husband says he can't say enough about it and words and pictures just don't do it justice.

Janice

Kim and Kindercrisp.... Thank you so much for the info on the private tours. I am definitely a worrywart (in fact lately, I have worried about so many things that I'm driving my husband crazy). He said he is going to nickname me "worrywart". Glad to hear that someone else worries also. I was pretty comfortable about the private tours until I talked to my travel agent this morning.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Janice

Just want to share another perspective. I am a fellow worrier! You have to pick what is right for you. There are just two of us so we have no one to share tours/costs with & would not want to go with people we don't know very well...that could lead to a long day!

We did the ship's tours on our first Medit cruise (W Medit on Century) & did not mind the herd--we saw everything we were promised, had great guides, no really bad lines to wait on, had good meals included, met great folks in our groups & took wonderful photos ...never had to worry about anything.. It was nice that Celebrity sent a staff member along on the longer excurisons..

For days with shorter excursions,or in lesser ports we walked around on our own, shopped or got a taxi-- we also plan to book ship's excursions on our next trip ( E Medit on Solstice)--

Whatever you decide have fun!

I posted this on the thread "Summit Help" but will also ask same here - for those that have been on the Summit since the "dry dock" have all the remnants (white covers etc) been removed from the room that was used for Cirque previously (I think it was the nightclub or lounge)?

Thanks for the help

We are doing the cruise that leaves from Barcelona on 9-8 and ends in Venice. Just curious if anyone can tell me which nights are formal nights on this particular cruise? Are they on all of the sea days?

Janice

I just reread this and should clarify. I don't mean our personal cruise but if anyone has already done the Barcelona to Venice cruise.

Janice

we're going on the cruise on the summit leaving from barcelona on 9/8. We're thinking about doing the private excursions, but we need 4 more people to join in the 8 person mercedes van. Anyone interested? send me a private message. thanks!

Cathy....Thanks for the reply. I see that you are from the Grand Teton area. My husband and adult son just came back from a Grand Teton, Yellowstone vacation last week. He definitely agrees that it is just an absolutely beautiful area. They both loved every minute of it and they have not stopped talking about it. My husband says he can't say enough about it and words and pictures just don't do it justice.

Janice

That is hilarious! I am the sales manager for the premier golf resort community on the west side of the Tetons (River Rim Ranch) and our motto is: "If a picture is worth a thousand words, a visit is worth a million!" It's totally true--such a magnificent landscape that you cannot take it all in in photographs--you have to see it up close and personal. I had never been here in my life and came out on vacation 4 years ago--looked at DH and said, "WHY don't we live here?" and moved 3 months later, as soon as one of us had a job! Too bad I work 6+ days a week in summer--not much time to enjoy it. But when the crowds die down, that's when I can get away, so we always plan a fall and spring vacation. Looking at the Med on Summit in November--the prices are phenomenal!

You should make the return trip with your family--I guarantee they will want to come back! In fact, for dinner tonight, we are having fresh trout that DH caught in the Teton River today!

Best,

Cathy

For those traveling on the Med cruises this season -did anyone exchange US dollars into Euros and do you remember the exchange rate?

I sailed last year and the exchange rate on the Millie was very close to everyone else and did not have to worry about finding ATM

Thanks for your help

We did the 8/3 Summit from Venice to Barcelona. We did a mix of ship tours, on our own and private. Generally not happy with the ship's group excursions. I am a worrier also, so was a little nervous when doing it alone. It's not so much the alone part - we live in a large city, travel a lot, etc. - just that when you're ship is leaving and you are in strange places, there's a little more concern about finding your way and getting back in time. Plus there are often bad accidents and transportation issues in Italy. A lot depends on how much you're willing to spend. We booked one outing completely on our own, saved a lot of money and had a very nice day - but did worry about time and all. We booked another private excursion through the ship's concierge - cost a lot more, but had an excellent car and guide, were very comfortable and had a wonderful day. If you book this way, it's just like being on a ship excursion, so they are still "responsible" fo you. The regular excursions through the ship were in large part a disappointment. They were okay if you don't know anything else and have nothing to compare them to, and certainly offer the great peace of mind that you are "with the ship," so can't get left behind. On the other hand, you are most definitely herded, have no flexibility and can get "stuck." We had one awful tour guide, were stuck in places with nothing to do, the a/c on the bus broke and no one could care less. I heard others never even made it into certain places because it was too crowded and the guide just left. The worst part is the excursion staff on board could care less - they smile and act sympathetic, but basically tell you to write it on the comment card or deal with customer service after the cruise. So they all have their pros and cons. In retrospect, if money is not an issue, I would have booked all private drivers through the ship.

we're going on the cruise on the summit leaving from barcelona on 9/8. We're thinking about doing the private excursions, but we need 4 more people to join in the 8 person mercedes van. Anyone interested? send me a private message. thanks!

Ande, welcome to Cruise Critic!

If you post your tours on roll call forum, you'll have better luck getting people to join you, and you'll get to know some of your fellow cruisers, as well!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=576307

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived