Oosterdam - 1st time sailing this Saturday

GG Traveler

Our first cruise ever is this Sat on the Oosterdam, Alaska inside passage from Seattle. We are VERY excited!! Just joined this forum and have found lots of good info for our trip. Does anyone know if there are bathrobes provided in the cabins? Would like to save packing space if this is true. Thanks in advance for your response. Hopefully we will be posting about our fabulous 1st time cruise, celebrating 39th anniversary!:D

Yes, there are robes in your cabin, regardless of which category you booked. With airline luggage restrictions as they are, I'm re-evaluating everything I pack. Not having to pack a robe is a huge space/weight savings.

Enjoy your cruise!

Roz

I am so jealous .. you will have a fabulous 1st cruise and happy anniversary.

Not to worry about the robes .. they are so stylish EVERYONE wears them . in fact don't be surprised to see them double a bathing suit cover ups at the pool (not a great look BTW .. )

Welcome to the boards GG Traveler. Yes, there will be robes in your cabin. Happy 39th, you picked a great cruise for your first one. I always tell everyone if you only take one cruise, make it Alaska. Beautiful trip, enjoy! Hope you come back and tell us all about it. Happy cruising........

Not to worry about the robes .. they are so stylish EVERYONE wears them . in fact don't be surprised to see them double a bathing suit cover ups at the pool (not a great look BTW .. )

Heck, on the E-dam I even saw a man wearing one in the Crow's Nest. On formal night. :eek:

Talk about "stylish". :rolleyes:

Welcome to cruise critic and A Big Happy Anniversary.

What a great 1st cruise you will have to Alaska.

I loved the Alaska cruise, sorry HAL, but it was on another line, but Alaska was Great.

I will being going on HAL Oosterdam next year to Europe and will love to hear your review on the Oosterdam and how you liked Alaska as well.

Please come back and post how you like the Oosterdam and Alaska.

Have a wonderful cruise, It's want be your last you'll be hooked.

Marcy

Lucky you visiting AK for the first time on the Oosterdam! Sailed on her twice to Alaska, and she is just terrific! The crew is fabulous - they can't do enough for you! Say hello to our room steward, Mano, and to Chris in the bar staff from Lynda and Gary! You will just love the Oosterdam! Elegant, but not at all snooty! The beds are to die for - best nights sleep I've ever had! And Alaska? Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? MAGNIFICENT! Enjoy and Happy, Happy Anniversary! Wishing you calm seas, lots of sunshine, plenty of wildlife viewing, and a wonderful trip to the great state of Alaska!

Congratulations!! What a wonderful way to celebrate !!

Our first cruise(last Aug) was also an Alaskan cruise, you are about to see beauty beyond discription.

We had super weather last year ,I hope the same for you.

Alaska and Hal were a great choices. You are going to be sooo hooked!!

Happy Sailing and Best Wishes to you both.:)

That is so funny to me to see people walking around in robes in public places! At some point in time they have seen people living the "good life" walking around in robes and think its appropriate outside of the room or spa facilities. I thought I had seen it all at a RC in Florida. She was coming down the elevator with me in the evening with a robe from her room on. She walked across the main lobby where people were dressed for dinner and having cocktails. People just stared, but she was having the time of her life so good for her. But what topped her was a honeymoom couple the day after their wedding coming downstairs to eat the free breakfast at the Embassy Suites in their robes. I did not even want to know if they had mustered up the energy to put something on underneath...:rolleyes:

You have every reason to be excited!

My husband and I just returned from our first cruise, same one as yours.... the Oosterdam to Alaska. The whole experience exceeded our expectations! The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship, and the staff is top notch. We had beautiful weather for our cruise and enjoyed some fabulous excursions. The scenery is breathtaking and the majesty of Alaska is difficult to put into words....take plenty of photos!!

One word of caution though....this may be your first cruise, but I bet it won't be your last. My husband resisted cruising for years, just certain he would hate being "stuck on a ship" for an extended period of time. Thanks to the good folks at HAL, he is now a convert and asks me almost daily where we're cruising next time, and when.:D

Happy Anniversary and have a fabulous cruise!!!!

I sailed on the Oosterdam June 28th - July 5th and I wish I was there right now. You're going to have an awesome time. Take tons and tons of pictures and use those robes! If you need someone to give you an honest answer or be a great bar tender look for Jacqui (HAL's first female bartender), Andrew, and then RJ will be around drink stewarding. Tell them their friend who is now learning Tagalog thanks to them sent you!

Happy Anniversary and congrats on taking your first cruise:) We'll be sailing on the Oosterdam in October and I can hardly wait, everyone has such good things to say about this ship.

Please have a wonderful time, take pictures and post a review:) Enjoy:)

Those that just recently came back from being on the Oosterdam - Why do you think the most recent reviews about her are so bad? The majority are good. I am booked on her for October and although I am not worried as you have to take some of these reviews with a grain of salt.

Also, when you cruised from Seattle were the seas bumpy going around the outside of Vancouver Island cause you are in the Pacific?

I'm not sure about the choppy seas.... I remember Thursday into Friday morning was pretty rough, but not too bad at all. I don't know where we were then..... Somewhere between Ketchikan and Victoria is all I know!

I'm jealous you'll be on the Oosterdam before me. December seems so far away. Stop in and see Andrew in the Northern Lights bar in the club around 11pm and have a drink for me and just people watch.... Tell Andrew and the gang (Jacqui and Ronald) their favorite Tagalog learner says hi all the way from El Paso!

As for complaints about the Oosterdam.... To each is his own. I had a wonderful time on and off the ship and had no complaints at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived