Are there any jewelry making cruisers here?

tlovesdis

I have a beading challange I'am trying to get past. Hard to explain, but I think I'am going to have to weave some large, flat, triangle shaped beads somehow to lay flat in an inverted pyramide shape.(I told you it's hard to explain) I want it to be like a big chunky focal piece. :confused: :confused: :confused: Will probably try out some things this weekend.

Soo pretty!! I want to learn to make my own jewelery...whats the best way to learn?? I went to Michael's to look around and I was completely dumbfounded, lol!

Well, there are a couple of ways!

I am actually self taught. I went to Michaels, JoAnns and a local bead store to look around. Then I went online and read as much as I could. I ended up buying a few books and then tools and beads and just kind of started.

You can also take classes at Michael's, JoAnns or even a bead store if you have one locally. I've never taken a class, but I am sure they are good!

It can be very overwhelming! I would start with a good book that that talks about the basics and go from there! Watch out though, it's addicting!!!

tlovesdis where did you find the bigger beads? All I can find are the smaller ones.

There are wonderful places to buy on line.

I've used shipwreck beads, and Oriental Pearls when making the earrings and necklaces for my wedding.

I haven't ordered from here, but they have GREAT selection and an awesome catalog (not sure how I got it but I love looking at it). They also have a gallery of designs. The only problem w/ that though is they don't tell you how much of each item they used.

I also make my own jewelry. I'm not limited to any particular stone/crystal/bead etc. I'm notorious for browsing the jewelry counters at stores, seeing something I like, then going out and making something very similar to it.

I use my vacations as hunting trips for some special stones or beads. Then, I'll make a piece using what I found. It gives me a special memory of a trip. When someone asks about a necklace or earrings, I can say "oh, I bought the Murano glass at a factory on Murano in Venice", "oh, I bought the amber in Prague", "oh, I bought that turquoise in Tel Aviv." But, it can be an expensive souvenir - I spent $300 on jade, coral, and some locally handmade glass pieces at a store on Granville Island in Vancouver back in May!

Well I finished my necklace, and it is awesome! I got a silver metal choker type piece, with the end balls that unscrew. Then I used long eye pins through the turquiose beads, the large diamond shapes, and used connectors to attach to the choker. They hang at different highths, so it's narrower at the top, gets wider, then comes to a wide point at the bottom. Wearing a black deep V necked dress with it. It hangs just at the top of the (missing) cleavage. I'll try to get my daughter to help me get some pics on here someday.

I wanted to say, I'am totally self taught. Bought a few books to learn the basics, and just jumped in. I tend to do things "my" way though. If one thing does not work, try another. There is no right or wrong to it. If you like the result, it's right! Beware!!! tlovesdis is right: this is one addictive hobby. I have spent so many hundreds of dollars over the years, and the kitchen is filled with beads of all sorts, findings, stringing material, plus tons of other crafty stuff. Into polamer clay, scrapbooking, and all kinds of salvaged junk.

I also make my own jewelry. I'm not limited to any particular stone/crystal/bead etc. I'm notorious for browsing the jewelry counters at stores, seeing something I like, then going out and making something very similar to it.

I use my vacations as hunting trips for some special stones or beads. Then, I'll make a piece using what I found. It gives me a special memory of a trip. When someone asks about a necklace or earrings, I can say "oh, I bought the Murano glass at a factory on Murano in Venice", "oh, I bought the amber in Prague", "oh, I bought that turquoise in Tel Aviv." But, it can be an expensive souvenir - I spent $300 on jade, coral, and some locally handmade glass pieces at a store on Granville Island in Vancouver back in May!

I would love to see some of your pieces! Can you post some pics???

I wanted to say, I'am totally self taught. Bought a few books to learn the basics, and just jumped in. I tend to do things "my" way though. If one thing does not work, try another. There is no right or wrong to it. If you like the result, it's right! Beware!!! tlovesdis is right: this is one addictive hobby. I have spent so many hundreds of dollars over the years, and the kitchen is filled with beads of all sorts, findings, stringing material, plus tons of other crafty stuff. Into polamer clay, scrapbooking, and all kinds of salvaged junk.

If my husband knew how much I have spent on all my jewelry making stuff he would divorce me! LOL!! I am a scrapbooker too, so there is another ton of stuff!

I love it though!

Archived