Bert Stratton

cookyb

Before I book I want to know if Bert Stratton is going to be on any other cruises besides the one on Jan.17th. We need to book earlier in the month.

It was my understanding that Bert had moved to Nashville to work on his songwriting. His website lists only the one cruise on the Ruby. http://www.bertstratton.com/171474BE-CE36-44E7-A01C-238DC42B4FBE.html

• 4 weeks later...
I guess I'll have to watch him again to make sure I'm thinking of the same person. :eek:

Lynda, I find that either people love his act or hate his act, there is no in between. Ive seen him twice and have no desire to see him again, to each their own. I can see why some people like him though.

I can see why some people like him though.

Like driving past a terrible car crash, there was a certain morbid curiosity that drew me into Crooner's on the CB during our 8/15-24 cruise...

As I arrived, I heard him yell "I broke a strainng on my piano... say it! STRAINNG!" I kept walking...

On the last night of the cruise, Bert was "under the weather" and we enjoyed Robert Smith with a martini in hand.

Please let us know where he is going to be so we can avoid him like the plague. Listened for a few songs one night and although the 4 of us were enjoying our drinks we had to leave - excrutiating! The man certainly knows how to ruin some very good songs. After that we saw the fans and just couldn't understand his popularity, could hardly bear to walk by and hear him. When he wasn't preforming we used Crooners alot as we like the bar and the alternative entertainment

Terry

Like driving past a terrible car crash, there was a certain morbid curiosity that drew me into Crooner's on the CB during our 8/15-24 cruise...

As I arrived, I heard him yell "I broke a strainng on my piano... say it! STRAINNG!" I kept walking...

On the last night of the cruise, Bert was "under the weather" and we enjoyed Robert Smith with a martini in hand.

Funny..

I had to endure anywhere within 100 ft of the atrium, same songs same act every night. :o

Yes, Bert is a bit eccentric, but when he plays it straight (he should do it more often), it's evident that he has a lot of talent as a songwriter and performer. When he starts with his shtick, either you love him or hate him. We found him to have far more warmth and personality than other cruise ship piano men. There must be SOME reason why Crooners is SRO every night he's there.

Les

Oh, bummer, I've never seen him and after reading these posts, it sounds like he'd be a magnificent train wreck to watch and then snark about afterwards (always 50% of the fun of any event). Or else I'd love him, in which case it would be an enjoyable evening's entertainment. Either way, I'm now considerably disappointed to have missed out!

Believe it or not, we actually saw Bert in 1997 on the defunct (sp?) Dolphin cruise line. We thought he was hilarious! Does he still constantly say, "Cup o' coffee!" ? That was one thing we remembered the most. The guy drank coffee like there was no tomorrow. No wonder he couldn't sit at that piano long enough to finish a song.

It was my understanding that Bert had moved to Nashville to work on his songwriting. His website lists only the one cruise on the Ruby. http://www.bertstratton.com/171474BE-CE36-44E7-A01C-238DC42B4FBE.html

I believe I read were he is scheduled to be on our Sept 14th cruise. Based on the comment about nashville I must say" God please tell me he doesn't do country!!" To all of you who enjoy country...nothing personal...good for you...enjoy! However I for one don't....sorry!

He's on the CB with us now. We love his act. It's energetic and a tremendous amount of fun. And no, it's not all country. Hardly any country at all, as a matter of fact. Just singing along to favorites from all eras and genres. People start filling the lounge 30 minutes early to get a seat, and then people line up 4-5 deep in the hallway.

Anyway, he said that he's cut back on the number of cruises he does because he's focusing on songwriting and recording his original songs. He is promoting his CD, and my husband purchased it. Bert is a very talented performer.

I really liked him. Saw him in 2005. He did ask people what songs they would like to hear too. Very personable. The cruise we had with Princess in 2004 had a good singer but he didn't converse with the audience at all. We will have a new "crooner" in October on the CB again.

I would have to cancel our March 2009 Ruby Princess cruise if he was going to be perfoming...

Oh please....that's a bit extreme. He's not even in the Main Theater, so if you really dislike him that much, all you have to do is avoid the lounges he's singing in each night.

Archived