Southhampton to Heathrow

basedow

Upon leaving the ship in Southhamptom to go to Heathrow, have you found it preferable to use the transport (bus?) by Regent or have your TA arrange private transfer? Are the costs similar?

Our plane leaves around 3:00 pm.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Basedow

I found a couple of quick estimates (quoted in British pounds)

Private car (up to 4 persons) 120 GBP

Bus -- trip 1 3/4 hours -- 11.50 GBP (over age 60) 14.40 GPB (under age 60) -- per person.

Train -- takes 2 hours -- leaves every 30 minutes. Confusing website. . . 26-50 GBP per person (depending upon a lot of things)

Suggest you "Google" "Southampton to Heathrow transport".:)

Travelcat,

Thanks for your research.

I think Regent charges about $140 pp from hotel to port so perhaps the fare to airport is about the same. I checked a private service that is around 165 lbs.

Charges may be about the same but I was wondering if anyone preferred one way or the other for any reason.

Basedow -

If Regent charges $140 and this is per person, so your total cost will be $280. You have been quoted £165 for a car, and that is $330. So you are marginally ahead by using the Regent transfer.

But if you want to drive yourself, you can get a car from Hertz or presumably other companies at Southampton airport (taxi from ship) and drop it at LHR. The drive will take around 1hr 30mins and it isn't too bad - M3 to M25 and then up to Heathrow. Exit for Terminal 4 & 5 is off M25. For other Terminals take the M4 and then get off. The drive will take about 1hr 30mins. But remember you must drive on the left, with a right hand drive car. Maybe you are used to this, if not perhaps you would prefer not to!

if you want to take the train, on the other hand, it takes about 1hr 20 mins to London (Waterloo) - $57. ($114). Trains are frequent. From Waterloo you need to change either to Paddington to take the Heathrow Express (every 15 mins, around $18 or $36pp) or you could take the Underground all the way to the airport. However to do this you have to change to the Piccadilly Line. Cost is around $10pp ($20). be warned - the Underground is very un-user friendly for those who have bags and need to change lines!! Or, you can take a taxi from Waterloo to Paddington, I would guestimate at around $20, then the Heathrow Express.

A much cheaper alternative is to take a bus - National Express. www.nationalexpress.com - buses go regularly from Southampton to Heathrow and the cost is around £15pp ($30). Takes about 1hr 30 mins. You will have to take a taxi from the Cruise Ship Terminal to the Bus Terminal. Not far! However since I have not done this myself I am not at all sure about luggage. But I would think that you could call them and ask. Surely any bus going to an airport must have room for bags??

have a great cruise!

Hambagahle,

Thanks for this research!:)

I surely won't be driving myself and the train sounds a bit much when luggage is involved but I will think about the bus actually.

I wish your information could be generally accessible for those who will ask this question later!

Basedow

Travelcat,

Thanks for your research.

I think Regent charges about $140 pp from hotel to port so perhaps the fare to airport is about the same. I checked a private service that is around 165 lbs.

Charges may be about the same but I was wondering if anyone preferred one way or the other for any reason.

I just received a quote DIRECTLY from Regent office... They anticipate the charge from the pier to Heathrow for "approximately" $ 85 PP

Say thanks, Cheladonia! :) When I called, the agaent said they really had no idea.

Well that solves that issue. I believe you make those reservations a few days before you disembark, right?

BAsedow

Say thanks, Cheladonia! :) When I called, the agaent said they really had no idea.

Well that solves that issue. I believe you make those reservations a few days before you disembark, right?

BAsedow

I just received a reply from the head honcho, and was quoted a definite $135 per person, and was able to reserve & let them know what time I was leaving, and which flight.. Hope this clears all up.

Archived