How's the food?

Kan't Wait

I will try to give you a description better than yummy.;)

If you have eaten at the banquet facility of a large hotel in a major city, you have a pretty good idea of the food quality and style. It is very, very good, not gourmet, but better than I can find within 25 miles of my home. I especially am fond of the warm chocolate melting cake. I'm diabetic and I find I can eat it without it blowing my blood sugar out of the water. DW and I thought the short ribs were fabulous on our last cruise. I make killer short ribs and mine could not even come close. The steaks are usually good, the soups are unusual and tasty. And the best thing, if you don't like something, you can send it back. They want you to be happy. Try that in a fancy restaurant.

Doc:D

I too LOVED the short ribs (on my last cruise). I generally ask the head waiter what he/she recommends that night and very rarely do I disagree with the choice. On short rib night (I think they were supposed to have been done in a "terriaki" sauce....nah, but wonderful) everyone else had the normal steak and ceasar salad, I had the ribs which melted in my mouth. Our head waiter was "Kamen"(? spelling) and he just got it right every night.

We have sailed Carnival many times - so I have a pretty good handle on the quality of Carnival food. I look forward to dinner (almost) every evening. We sailed once on Royal Caribbean, and we were NOT impressed with the food. Our one (so far) experience with Celebrity (not including their specialty restaurant) also was sub-par to Carnival.

8/30 Glory - FISH AND CHIPS... here I come!

Tom

Hi Tom,

We will be in the cabin down from yours next August 1......I took pictures by the door last week. I think the number is 6489 and my brother and his wife are next door. Your cabin looks huge from the deck.....I mean the balcony. Have a great time!!!

Sandi

Although we aren't food snobs, I can say we definitely enjoy it..lol!

We thought the food on carnival was slightly above average. Meals were presented nice, some tasted better than others but overall we enjoyed about 90% of everything we picked to eat.

We are going on a Princess cruise this fall so it will be interesting to see how things compare!

I thought the food quite food. The service wasn't. But That might be a side effect of going on a very large ship. The main dining room for lunch the service was outstanding..but I went at off hours.

The Buffets had lots of selection. But crowded in peak times. The food was very good. After hours pizza is available for custom pizza from the buffet.

I'd suggesting going to Main Room for lunch and if you have a balcony table, take it back to your room..no problem. They'll give you a plate cover. Order drinks and salad/fruit from room service.

You can get menus from the front desk for the next days selections.

Room service menu is mostly limited to sandwiches, salads, fruit plates..(cold items) and cold breakfast items. So a hot meal delivered to the room has limited options. Still it's never been a problem to go up and grab a plate and bring it back to the room.

Also. Be sure and make a reservation at the 'upscale' resturant. Usualy a 30 buck or so charge..well worth it. Service is outstanding and the food has better option. Look ahead and make sure that reservation doesn't conflict with "Lobster Night" in the main dining room.

Although we aren't food snobs, I can say we definitely enjoy it..lol!

We thought the food on carnival was slightly above average. Meals were presented nice, some tasted better than others but overall we enjoyed about 90% of everything we picked to eat.

We are going on a Princess cruise this fall so it will be interesting to see how things compare!

I went on my first Princess cruise in April and I thought the food on the Golden was very similar to the food I've had on Carnival, which I would rate as "good" to "very good". Princess did have Eggs Florentine in the buffet which I've never seen on a Carnival ship and they were yummy!

I have yet to have a good steak on ANY cruise line except for the specialty restaurant on an NCL ship and I had to pay extra for that. Altho my son ordered a steak one night on the Ecstasy and I tasted it and it was very good. Guess I was just unlucky. Didn't care for the Caeser salad on Ecstasy because it had way too much Anchovy paste in it. Nobody at our table at it. The reubens on Ecstasy were to die for. Probably the best I've ever eaten. Overall, I enjoyed everything else I've had.....some really good, other stuff just ok.

The worst food I've ever had on a cruise was on RCI - Splendor of the Seas.

I read all the rave reviews about Carnival's chocolate melting cake so I was anxious to try it. I couldn't eat it. Is it supposed to be runny inside? It tasted like warm liquid cake batter to me. Maybe it was under-cooked? I don't like raw dough or batter......so I don't eat Cookie dough ice cream either. So, maybe that's my problem.:)

Hi Tom,

We will be in the cabin down from yours next August 1......I took pictures by the door last week. I think the number is 6489 and my brother and his wife are next door. Your cabin looks huge from the deck.....I mean the balcony. Have a great time!!!

Sandi

Yes - we enjoy those deck 6 corners on the Glory!

We have spoiled ourselves, including moving here with the port in mind - - - :eek:

Tom

Sorry to all but I am going to throw the monkey wrench in this discussion. I was on the Legend last week, and while food was plentiful, all that can be said about it was that it was OK. You can't cover up lower quality meats with sauces to make it good, and that is what happened across the board at dinner.

The food is typically banquet food. Clearly IMO it is the lowest quality of the mass market lines I have been on in the past 18 months (Carnival, RCCL, and NCL). NCL has the best food of the mass market lines.

If you are cruising for the food, then Carnival is not the line to choose, but if the food is secondary then Carnival is fine.

Sorry to all but I am going to throw the monkey wrench in this discussion. I was on the Legend last week, and while food was plentiful, all that can be said about it was that it was OK. You can't cover up lower quality meats with sauces to make it good, and that is what happened across the board at dinner.

The food is typically banquet food. Clearly IMO it is the lowest quality of the mass market lines I have been on in the past 18 months (Carnival, RCCL, and NCL). NCL has the best food of the mass market lines.

If you are cruising for the food, then Carnival is not the line to choose, but if the food is secondary then Carnival is fine.

There are some things I know better than to order after this many sailings. The only beef I will ask for in the main dining room is the Prime Rib and the Short Ribs - everything else is often mid-quality meat at best. The lamb and some of the fish selections are quite good.

Tom

quote=cmalibu1 Although we aren't food snobs, I can say we definitely enjoy it..lol!

Princess is my favorite line - I hope you enjoy you cruise. Personally, I find Princess food to be several notches above Carnival, but part of that could be because I love seafood and Princess does a great job with that. Although the layout of the buffet is congested, I like the buffet better than Carnival and love the Caribe Café.

The service and presentation we received was fantastic, definitely above par. As far as the food specifically. I would consider it ok. I'm picky and the majority of it, I didn't like or it just tasted edible but not anything I would go back for. I definitely wouldn't cruise just for the food. I was happy to get home to eat my own cooking.

Dh on the other hand really liked the food so he would rate it very good-excellent. It all comes down to taste preferences.

The food is very good, my waistline can attest to that!:eek:

We are considering a Carnival cruise and my husband asked me how the food was on Carnival and I had to say I didn't know' date=' so here I am asking all you Carnival cruisers your opinion. How is the food? Do they have menu items that can be ordered every day? Do they have themed menus? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.[/quote']

Hi!

This is my first time posting!

I am about to go on my second carnival cruise in september. Glory, Western Carribean.

I have a quick question as i love lobster and didnt have it last time.

Is the lobster only served in the dining room on formal nights??

Hi!

This is my first time posting!

I am about to go on my second carnival cruise in september. Glory, Western Carribean.

I have a quick question as i love lobster and didnt have it last time.

Is the lobster only served in the dining room on formal nights??

WELCOME to cruise critic!!!

Lobster can be found (in the dining room) on the first formal night... otherwise, you can only find it if you go to the Emerald Room.

Tom

Food in the dining room was fabulous. Buffet, not always that great. But you can always get pizza, burger if its before 6pm and sandwiches at the buffet/grills. My husband doesn't like to dress up so he prefer the buffet. My upcoming cruise, I'm taking my kids and told him I'll go to the dining room alone if I have to but I'm going everynight. YUMMY.

Some things are just not to be missed like the Bitter n blanc dessert & choc melting cake. I had shrimp cocktail for appetizer every night - Yum plus many of their soups were really delicious. Had no complaints with the food in the dining room. browse this site for menu's & other info

http://www.unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

or direct link for menu's http://www.unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Category:Menus

We have sailed Carnival many times - so I have a pretty good handle on the quality of Carnival food. I look forward to dinner (almost) every evening. We sailed once on Royal Caribbean, and we were NOT impressed with the food. Our one (so far) experience with Celebrity (not including their specialty restaurant) also was sub-par to Carnival.

8/30 Glory - FISH AND CHIPS... here I come!

Tom

We were not impressed with the RC food either:(

Can't wait for the Fish and Chips on the Liberty:D

WELCOME to cruise critic!!!

Lobster can be found (in the dining room) on the first formal night... otherwise, you can only find it if you go to the Emerald Room.

Tom

Thank you.

Is the emerald room the restuarant when you pay $30ish dollars to dine in??

Yes, that's the supper club. DON'T MISS IT!!!

Tom

Thanks!

There seems to be so much we missed the last time we went. It was booked as a surprise, which was amazing, but meant i did not have any time to research!!

Thats why i am loving cruise critic now.

I really want to try the fish and chips!!

Thanks!

There seems to be so much we missed the last time we went. It was booked as a surprise, which was amazing, but meant i did not have any time to research!!

Thats why i am loving cruise critic now.

I really want to try the fish and chips!!

Most people enjoy the Fish&Chips (when they "discover" where they can be found) - though seeing that you are from England.. well, don't expect them to meet the high bar that they likely must over there ! :)

I noticed that on the "alternative" menu (or whatever they're calling it these days), most nights they have a Flat Iron Steak as the selection. I've never heard of this one.

Does anyone know what it is and whether it's any good?

I can only assume it is a cut of steak that DOES NOT HAVE A NAME ... LMAO!! I can't tell you whether it's good or not, as I have not (nor will I) order it. :eek:

Tom

I noticed that on the "alternative" menu (or whatever they're calling it these days), most nights they have a Flat Iron Steak as the selection. I've never heard of this one.

Does anyone know what it is and whether it's any good?

I don't eat meat, so I can't weigh in. However, here's some info:

Flat iron steak

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Beef Cuts 300px-BeefCutChuck.png

Beef cut: Chuck Steak type: Flat Iron Steak (also known as: top blade roast, shoulder top blade roast, top boneless chuck, petite steak, butler steak, lifter steak, book steak, chuck clod, lifter roast, and triangle roast.) 300px-Flatiron_steak.jpg magnify-clip.png

Raw Flat Iron steak

The flat iron steak is a cut of steak from the shoulder of a steer, also known as the Teres Major. The design of the cut of steak was created by researchers at the University of Florida and University of Nebraska during the course of a study of undervalued cuts of beef. The study also found that this specific cut is the second most tender cut of beef, after the tenderloin. The major initial barrier to the flat iron steak was the large band of connective tissue running down the center of the steak, which led people to assume that the cut in general must be tough. Removing the connective tissue, however, leads to a steak that is often described as having both the tenderness of a rib eye or strip steak while still having the full-flavored character of a sirloin or skirt steak. Whole, this muscle is known as Infraspinatus, and one may see this displayed in some butcher shops and meat markets as a "top blade" roast. Steaks that are cross cut from this muscle are called top blade steaks or patio steaks. As a whole cut of meat it usually weighs around 2 to 3 lbs, is located adjacent to the heart of the shoulder clod, under the seven bone. The entire top blade usually yields 4 steaks, between 8 to 12oz. each.

Restaurants, particularly upscale, have recently begun serving flat iron steaks on their menus. Especially popular are flat irons from Wagyu beef, as a way for chefs to offer more affordable and profitable dishes featuring Wagyu or Kobe beef.

[

hide]

vde

Archived