Paul Gauguin sold!

gr8twocruz

I have been told that the Paul Gauguin has been sold but that her 2005 itinerary will remain as is under Radisson. She leaves the Radisson fleet in 2006. So, those of you wanting to "do Tahiti" on the Paul Gauguin have just over a year to do it. I am also told that she will not continue in Tahiti once not affiliated with Radisson.

That is correct. 2005 is the last season for PG. The new owners are planning to switch her to South America. You can get more info at luxury cruise talk(Ngaire's site). RSSC is considering the possibility of moving Navigator to FP, but nothing other than rumor at this point. Windstar is also leaving FP next year.

Here is more information on the sale of the PG from a news release on the

Grand Circle Travel website:

For 2005, Radisson Seven Seas, the ship’s current operator, will continue to manage the Paul Gauguin, which will continue to sail in French Polynesia through the end of the year. The ship will serve Radisson Seven Seas customers, as well as customers of both Grand Circle Travel and Vantage Deluxe World Travel.

The Paul Gauguin will be repositioned in 2006 to offer cruises, based on the season, throughout South America, the Mediterranean, the Baltics, and Antarctica. The ship will be marketed, operated, and staffed by Grand Circle Corporation and Vantage Deluxe World, which together own or charter more than 60 small ships throughout Western and Eastern Europe, Egypt, Asia, the Pacific Rim, the Galapagos, and South America.

I hope that Radisson gets a replacement ship into that area...I would hate to see Princess in there witha monopoly. Now I believe there are 2 deluxe small vessels there as well...maybe radisson could charter them.

The best idea would be to recharter the Diamond in 2006 and put her there...she has the marina set up.

I emailed Mark Conroy about this very issue, and he replied that RSSC was entering into negotiations with the FP government immediately concerning putting another ship on the PG's itinerary. So it looks like RSSC intends (at least) to stay in FP! Mr. Conroy said that RSSC had considered buying the PG and keeping her there but, in the end, it was decided that the company's money would be better spent on all-suite ships like their newer ones.

The "great mystery" which remains is which ship RSSC would use as a replacement, given the fact that the Diamond may leave the fleet too, and her draft is pretty deep for this itinerary. I'd bet that RSSC does not even have a firm plan on which ship to use on this short notice. My hope (and only that) is that RSSC will use the Navigator on a "stop gap" basis, while having a new, small, all suite all balcony ship built for this itinerary.

Thanks,

Richard:) :) :)

Not sure why Radisson thinks that cruising FP needs an all-suite ship. The PG seemed to suit everyone needs that sailed on her. FP is a casual place and most folks found the ship to be all that was needed to experience the ambience created by the lovely islands and the Tahitian people. Seems a shame to put something huge and flash in such a setting. Surely will ruin what the Radisson created when it put the legendary PG there. We won't sail on anything larger so maybe we will just bite the bullet and do the Windstar if it stays or one of the smaller local vessels. Sure won't sail on the Princess. Can't imagine those who need anything larger than the PG staterooms as they are perfect for the venue. If you ask us, Radisson and it's corporate heads snoozed.

No one hates to see the PG go more than I. The PG seemed to maintain reasonable occupancy rates year round, and also served as the "first Radisson cruise" for many who went on to become "regulars." On the standard one-week cruises the cabins were fine. But some of us found them a bit cramped on back-to-backs and some of her longer cruises. A minor inconvinence, at most.

I get the impression that the sale of the PG AND the buyer's intent to lease her to a different company (Grand Circle Travel) was a bit of a surprise to Radisson, and came on fairly quickly. The PG, indeed, had sold several times during Radisson's operation of her, and the investor-buyers always leased to Radisson. It is my guess (and only that) that Radisson was left with insufficient time to put together the business models to determine what a profitable counter-offer would be, if any. So the company defaulted to the concept that the PG did not meet the corporate target of an all-suite (and eventually all-balcony) line.

I agree that a much larger ship would not be appropriate for the itinerary. My guess (and only that) is that the Navigator will initially do partial year itineraries there, and will be replaced by a new "PG sized" ship later to resume year round sailings in FP. At least, that is my hope.

Thanks,

Remember the Navigator has only 490 passengers compared with the PG at 320. This is not a great increase and is the ship is smaller that the Princess vessel with over 600 passengers. During the Voyager Shakedown Cruise, Mark conway told us that the company was debating whether to build another "Voyager" class ship but that the economics had not yet been determined. With the increase in cruise business in the past year and the loss of the PG it could probably tilt the equation to an order for a new "Voyager" and move the Navigator to FP. Just a thought.

Almost 500 compared to 600 is still more than 320 and 320 is about the max visitors that those islands in FP can take. Not sure what more people need to bring on a B2B or even a 14 day cruise (isn't that the same duration?) than a 7 day voyage with a pre or post booking. Many posters on this board write about how to condense stuff so that they can bring just carry-ons. Well, all is moot now anyway, isn't it? The Paul Gauguin, the BEST CRUISE SHIP voted by Conde Nast will be gone and that's that.

As an aside on "island capacity." We were in Bora Bora with Windstar and a "Island Yacht" that held (120 or so); Raiatea with TP, and Moorea with Windstar and that "darn" yacht, again. The only impact I could tell is that because TP was in Raiatea the shops at the pier were open (the Sunday we were in Raiatea by ourselves they were not). Not trying to put a bigger ship in FP, or say that PG wasn't the Best Cruise Ship, only that in regards to "island capacity" and ship size, I'd be more concerned about the Motus (especially Taha'a) when it comes to adding 170 souls.

For what it may be worth, and just my opinion, I don't think the Navigator will be a PERMANENT replacement for the PG. As mentioned above, too big in terms on number of guests. Not only for the islands, but for the guest demand and air access. Also, the FP itinerary really is best with a shallow draft ship like the PG that can anchor closer in. The fact that the PG's 200+ sq. ft. cabin "seemed a little crowded to us on a back-to-back" is merely a subjective comment, and not all may feel that way.

My "saying" has always been "The PG is the best cruise in the world, period" and I stand by that. I'm personally sorry that RSSC let her get away! But I am not privy to all the business "ins and outs" of the deal. Please join me in calling for a PG size replacement with the same program and itinerary.

Thanks,

Not sure why Radisson thinks that cruising FP needs an all-suite ship. The PG seemed to suit everyone needs that sailed on her. FP is a casual place and most folks found the ship to be all that was needed to experience the ambience created by the lovely islands and the Tahitian people. Seems a shame to put something huge and flash in such a setting. Surely will ruin what the Radisson created when it put the legendary PG there. We won't sail on anything larger so maybe we will just bite the bullet and do the Windstar if it stays or one of the smaller local vessels. Sure won't sail on the Princess. Can't imagine those who need anything larger than the PG staterooms as they are perfect for the venue. If you ask us, Radisson and it's corporate heads snoozed.

I think a small all-suite ship might be a good idea. Princess is making inroads on this market and RSSC could go all-suite to differentiate and help justify the price difference between the two major choices in FP. Not to say there are not a lot of other amenities that differentiate the two lines, just that their differences need to be accentuated in what is becoming an increasingly competative market. Radisson and it's "corporate heads" had very little control over the PG being sold. If I remember correctly RSSC was leasing it from another company and just operating it. The only option they had was for RSSC to buy the PG. We will see what they do, but I doubt they will concede this market.

Well, in RSSC president Mark Conroy's email reply to me on this matter, he stated that RSSC had considered buying the PG outright, but decided that RSSC's funds would be better spent on new ships which meet RSSC's "trademark" of all suite and all balcony. Personally, we LIKE this configuration, especially given the price RSSC charges for it. I have no criticism of the PG, just as I have no criticism for Mercedes Benz autos ----- but both could be made still better! And in the PG's case, the way to do that would be to have larger suites with balconies.

As far as the Tahitian Princess is concerned, she is not even a contender with us. By the time we paid to get decent sized accomodations, plus all the nickel and diming, the cruise cost would be prohibitive compared to RSSC's. So where we are concerned, if RSSC (or a line just like it) does not sail FP, we will not sail FP!

Thanks,

Chat Kat:

It has always been my understanding that RSSC quotes its maximum guest capacities DOUBLE OCCUPANCY. We have sailed some RSSC cruises that were listed as "full" with less than the double occupancy number due to single occupancy. But regardless of this, I think we all know that the Navigator has a significantly greater guest capacity than the PG. And the Navigator lacks the "water sports platform" and the shallow draft needed to anchor close to the tender docks in FP. Also, the Navigator is not "all balcony."

For these reasons, I think we all hope that the Navigator is not seen as a PERMANENT replacement for the PG, but perhaps a temporary one.

It would be nice to one day cruise a new "PG II" with all suites and all balconies and with a shallow draft and water sports platform, that carried a max. of about 300 guests double occupancy, wouldn't it?

Thanks,

It would certainly be "nice", but I can't see that ever happening due to cost/return factors. Given that the last two ships after the Navigator that were built to RSSC's specifications were both with a capacity of 700, I just can't see RSSC building a brand new small ship less than half the size. Maybe they can find another to lease that is similar.

Dolebludger: I think I love you! First of all, your name is such the hoot and for sure, your heart is in the right place and of course, I think this because your thoughts are close to mine. So, there you have it!!!

Seriously, you are the voice of reason regarding the PG and the FP market for cruise ships. I appreciate your comments regarding the need for a ship with a shallow draft and of course, my personal concern is to preserve the uniqueness of the enviroment in FP so I would like to see another ship with a smaller passenger capacity than the 500-700 passenger variety.

We are going to sail on the PG again in 2005 and it will be a bittersweet experience. We will be realizing one of those "do before you die" things by visiting the Marquesas and also, saying goodbye, nana, and adieu to a special, comfortable and trustworthy friend in the PG. By the way, where will the wonderful crew go? Will they have the opportunity to contract with other ships in the RSSC fleet? Thanks, sal

Just my guess, for what it is worth. I think the PG crew will stay right where they are on the "replacement ship" (the Navigator?) and will be joined by other crew members, as the first replacement ship will probably be a larger one.

But in the longer run, I think RSSC knows that it is the "program", itinerary, and small ship expereince of the PG that has resulted in its super high ratings. As some of us recall, the PG was actually custom built for just this itinerary. And, no doubt it has been a financial success, as evidenced by RSSC's rush to arrange to "get another ship down there." I don't necesarily subscribe to the theory that new small ships are an economic impossibility, especially when the number of nautical miles sailed on the itinerary is as few as on this one. Perhaps new small ships are out of favor with the industry for usual European and Caribbean and like itineraries, but clearly different factors are in play with this FP itinerary, all pointing toward another small ship.

Could Radisson lease one? Sure. The PG and Diamond have always been leased, and many ships in the cruise industry are leased ships. The PG was, in fact, built to RSSC's specifications by the owners for lease to RSSC.

So, just my opinion, but I don't think a "PGII" is an impossibility, and suggest all of us who want such make this known to RSSC in any way we chose.

Thanks,

I have been planning on taking the PG for a few years now. It seems like the Paul Gaugin is the best way to tour FP (I do not think the Tahitian Princess could compare; plus, something just seems out of whack to spend that much on airfare, fly for an eternity, and then not go "all out" on accomodations once we get there). Had planned on 2006 for a ten year anniversary present. Man, if I spring this for a nine year anniversary in 2005, I am REALLY on the hook for the ten year :( I suspect RSSC will wait until the last minute to announce the replacement for the PG just so they increase the demand for the 2005 PG sailings.

I still favor the idea of the Diamond as a permanent replacement for the PG, despite it's deeper draft. There are plenty of other relatively deep-draft ships that ply those waters. Sure, they may have to alter the current itinerary, which could also be good - give us repeaters a chance to see new islands. Imagine sitting in the front lounge as you approach Bora Bora or Moorea in the morning - spectacular! And if they could ever manage to re-open the viewing room at the bottom of one of the pontoons - wow!

Host Richard is absolutely correct. There are no guarantees that the PG will be immediately replaced with another Radisson ship merely because its president INTENDS to do so. As we all know many of the things we INTEND to do just don't get done. It is the same for corporations.

Thanks,

Richard

The Diamond would be a great replacement. While suites are not really up to Radisson's "new standard" they are roomier than those on the PG. Sports platform is already there, and there is an observation area between the twin hulls (now closed) that could be reopened.

Problem is, the most recent word is that the Diamond too will leave the fleet in 2006. But maybe Radisson will rethink that.

Hope so.

Thanks,

Archived