Husband might not get time off

gacruiser

We're booked to go on the Glory in Oct and my husband just called and said due to missions, his vacation might not be approved. Does anyone know whether you can change a passenger. ( I figured I could take a sister in law) The cruise is paid for and we are out of the window for refunds, and of course we didn't take out any insurance. ( Don't slam me for this, I already know and have beaten myself up enough) We are still hoping his company approves his leave, because the last time a mission came up , he sat around twiddling his thumbs for a week.

Thanks for your input and please no bashing about the insurance :)

gacruiser,

As far as I remember you can change 1 of the passengers names for a fee (I think $50) but one of the original booked cruisers (in this case you) still have to be on the reservation. If I'm wrong about changing a passenger name or the fee I'm sure the more knowledgable cruisers here will correct the information ;) Good Luck - hope your husband gets the time off!

No bashing from me, I have been on 10 cruises, and insurance is not something I buy. It just became a habit not to.... that said, I believe you can change a passenger for a fee of around $50 or so. Have a great cruise, the Glory is a wonderful ship!

We're booked to go on the Glory in Oct and my husband just called and said due to missions, his vacation might not be approved. Does anyone know whether you can change a passenger. ( I figured I could take a sister in law) The cruise is paid for and we are out of the window for refunds, and of course we didn't take out any insurance. ( Don't slam me for this, I already know and have beaten myself up enough) We are still hoping his company approves his leave, because the last time a mission came up , he sat around twiddling his thumbs for a week.

No sorry, once a pax is named, they are the one that goes. Your SIL will have to book.

No bashing here, but time and again we hear stories here on who did not have insurance and something happened that they could not go on their trip. Insurance is very inexpensive when you need it and something happens.

As long as one of the original passengers is still going you can do a name change on the other(s) for $50.00 each.

Here's hoping for the best. I have no idea who your husband's employer is, but a long-booked, nonrefundable vacation is a good reason to be excused from a sudden change in business plans in my book - especially if he had told them about it beforehand, even as water-cooler conversation.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we will be able to change it if need be, for the $50. We are keeping our fingers crossed that they approve his leave. The cruise is for our 27th anniversary, so I really don't want to spend it with anyone else. :( .

He works for a contract company for the military and things come up. (He is retired Army 20 yrs)

Hopefully his boss will have some synpathy on this.

I feel your pain. DH just announced yesterday that we can't take our Feb cruise due to work issues. :mad: I hope you (both!) get to go....

We also had this problem on our last cruise....DH didn't think he could make it because of work issues and it ended up that he did get to go...Now we are booked again for this coming Feb and he is already telling me that he might not get to go for the same reasons.....it drives me crazy:eek:, especially since it will be paid in full 2 and 1/2 months before we sail.....

You can change pax for a $50 name change fee.

I don't think Insurance would have covered this anyway.

I just had to cancel a flight last week and had insurance due to work. That is not covered. I did get a credit for the flight for a future flight but by the time you added the cost of the change I will loose the majority of the ticket price. It was only a $357.00 trip so not to much damage.

I guess it is more common than I thought..

I am booked for Sept. for the Facination. And was notified yesterday that they may have to cancel my vacation.

I explained, that since this is past the point of a refund,, they would have to cover any loss, including air fare, or I will plan on dealing with it when I return..

And as has been posted,, Insurance would do no good in this case either..

We also had this problem on our last cruise....DH didn't think he could make it because of work issues and it ended up that he did get to go...Now we are booked again for this coming Feb and he is already telling me that he might not get to go for the same reasons.....it drives me crazy:eek:, especially since it will be paid in full 2 and 1/2 months before we sail.....

it's so nerve-wracking!! I hope you get to go!! and we booked when the sailing opened and got a primo cabin (on RC Voyager)...i guess my loss will be someone else's happy gain!

Then DH had the nerve to suggest maybe we would do something else instead of a cruise for the next vacay!! :eek: :eek: serious attitude adjustment work is obviously needed ;)

You can do a name change as long as 1 original passenger is still going and you can do this right up until a couple days before sailing, so hang in there.

No sorry, once a pax is named, they are the one that goes. Your SIL will have to book.

No bashing here, but time and again we hear stories here on who did not have insurance and something happened that they could not go on their trip. Insurance is very inexpensive when you need it and something happens.

SIL would only have to pay $50 for name change as long as the other person in the cabin is still going.....

Most insurance will not cover cancellations due to work schedules.

To the OP: this is incorrect. Fifty dolllars will cover a name change. In addition, sorry to see you get slammed about the insurance. ;)

OP-

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you;)

DH is active duty Army so we know what you are going through. We book at least 1 cruise per year. DH always know before the penalty phase if his leave is ok'ed. Thank goodness it has always worked out. But, with the Army, you never know what might come up. And as said, insurance will not cover that fact that you cant get off from work. :(

good luck and wait awhile before you pay the $50 name change just to make sure.

Im sure things will work out!

...The cruise is paid for and we are out of the window for refunds...
Not exactly, you are 59 days from your cruise so your penalty is only the deposit amount (I believe $500) if you both cancel before 30 days prior is reached. I realize you might prefer to go with your SIL, or your hubby might convince the boss to allow the vacation, but you are not in full penalty phase yet.

DH is active duty Army so we know what you are going through. We book at least 1 cruise per year. DH always know before the penalty phase if his leave is ok'ed. Thank goodness it has always worked out. But, with the Army, you never know what might come up. And as said, insurance will not cover that fact that you cant get off from work.

Becca, being military, are you or the DH USAA members? If so, look into their travel insurance, it DOES cover military orders as a valid reason for cancellation. ;)

Becca, being military, are you or the DH USAA members? If so, look into their travel insurance, it DOES cover military orders as a valid reason for cancellation. ;)

Thanks, I have never looked into their vacation insurance.

We are USAA members.

Since you said orders, I assume you mean if they get orders to go over seas? So, it still would not cover some other cases, say going to the "feild" for a month or so. I know we have always been given notice for this type of mission but I know others that were told last minute.

I will look into it - thanks again:)

To the OP: this is incorrect. Fifty dolllars will cover a name change. In addition, sorry to see you get slammed about the insurance.

Excuse me? I did not slam the poster in fact I told her that I was not bashing her. I only made a statement of fact.

In a post just this w/e someone asked if they could transfer their cruise to another couple, they told her no. I thought that meant that nobody could but as long as one of the people in the Stateroom is going then they can.

Excuse me? I did not slam the poster in fact I told her that I was not bashing her. I only made a statement of fact.

In a post just this w/e someone asked if they could transfer their cruise to another couple, they told her no. I thought that meant that nobody could but as long as one of the people in the Stateroom is going then they can.

I read your post earlier and from the content it did come off a little harsh.

Especially the part about the lack of insurance added to the incorrect statement of fact in this case. Part of the problems with posting is there is no inflection put into the words and the intent of the post can easily be misunderstood.

Not exactly, you are 59 days from your cruise so your penalty is only the deposit amount (I believe $500) if you both cancel before 30 days prior is reached. I realize you might prefer to go with your SIL, or your hubby might convince the boss to allow the vacation, but you are not in full penalty phase yet.

It depends on the length of the cruise. Shorter cruises (less than 6 days), penalties start at 60 days out. Longer cruises, penalties start at 75 days out.

Info is shown in Carnival's e-brochure for 2008-2009 Cruise Vacations under "Thing to know before you go: Essential information."

Still, should be deposit-only cancellation charges at this point. Still, flushing away $400 or $500 to NOT go on vacation doesn't sound like a very good option. Not to me, at least.

It depends on the length of the cruise. Shorter cruises (less than 6 days), penalties start at 60 days out. Longer cruises, penalties start at 75 days out.

Info is shown in Carnival's e-brochure for 2008-2009 Cruise Vacations under "Thing to know before you go: Essential information."

Still, should be deposit-only cancellation charges at this point. Still, flushing away $400 or $500 to NOT go on vacation doesn't sound like a very good option. Not to me, at least.

Can you tell me where I can find this? I went to the CCL website and I can't find the full policy. Thanks! OP, keeping fingers crossed your DH gets time off. ;)

Archived