Tipping etiquite in the "Specialty" resturants

midwest917

I knew there would be a post like this. :rolleyes: There always is.

I haven't seen a single poster in this thread that deserves to be called "cheap". Realistic and pragmatic, yes. Cheap? No. Have you READ any of the posts above? Like the ones in which we say we DO reward "extra" service? The question is...how do YOU define "extra" service? I personally expect "extra" service to actually have a component of "extra" to it before I'm willing to hand my money to people I don't know.

mmm "Professional Stuck Up Intellectuall"

I am just back from going out to dinner with my son. To many margaritas so I am not sure how coherent this will be....

First off, Lee Anne, I have seen your posts on this and other threads and have been impressed with the clarity and common sense that you display in all of these sometimes heated discussions. I hope to run into you on a cruise some day. I will by you a drink of my smuggled single malt scotch :)

At tonights dinner with my son, the waiter was almost non existent. I gave him about a 12% tip (that was what rounded off to a convenient number) but the bus boy was exceptional. He really took care of my son and I. I slipped him the equivalent of a 25% (in cash) tip because he went WAY beyond the expectations I have for a bus boy. The waiter was lucky to get his 12%. God forbid it would have rounded off conveniently to less than 10% :-)

Like I said before, if you are not earning what is expected as a server, look to your own performance. It may not be 20% all the time, but with the averages you will do fine.

Tip what makes you feel good and able to sleep well at night. Do not worry about what I or any one else thinks is appropriate. If this thread has not definitively illustrated that you can not match everyones expectations, nothing ever will. Worry about your own expectations. Not mine or any one else's.

Good night now,

Best,

Bruce

I know what you experienced. This happened to my wife and I at Corigan's here in TO. Leejnd4 will know this place well.

The waiter sucked! and the busboy was the best part of the service. I personally handed the busboy the whole tip and told the restaurant what I had done.

The next time we went in, the busboy was now a waiter and was doing a great job.

Don't be politically correct about this stuff, that's where we go wrong. Correct a wrong and reward the good. That's the only way we will sift out the bad.

Roy.

Here's my take on specialty restaurant tipping:

Celebrity says that the $30 PP charge includes gratuities. To me that means that it includes gratuities.

Celebrity is not shy about adding gratuities where they deem necessary, & they're not shy about advising you how much to tip waiters, cabin stewards, etc., so they will not be shy about asking one to tip the wait staff in the specialty restaurants. They say that it's included.

That being said, there is no reason not to tip extra if you feel that you want to, or if you feel that service warrants, be it a bar server, waiter, cabin attendant, or whoever. What difference does it make how much the person makes; if you feel that they deserve extra, so be it. It's up to the individual.

Plain & simple; it's a personal choice.

Very simple and precise point. I agree. ;)

mmm "Professional Stuck Up Intellectuall"

Classic response of someone who is intellectually incapable of having a civilized debate using actual thoughts, ideas and logic: toss out insults. :rolleyes:

I know what you experienced. This happened to my wife and I at Corigan's here in TO. Leejnd4 will know this place well.

The waiter sucked! and the busboy was the best part of the service. I personally handed the busboy the whole tip and told the restaurant what I had done.

The next time we went in, the busboy was now a waiter and was doing a great job.

Don't be politically correct about this stuff, that's where we go wrong. Correct a wrong and reward the good. That's the only way we will sift out the bad.

Roy.

Hey, Roy - I hadn't noticed you're from TO! How funny - I ate at Corrigan's Steakhouse night before last. Great rack of lamb. And to be honest, our waiter was pretty darn good. Wonder if it's the guy who was previously your busboy?

And yes, as you all probably assume - I totally stiffed him for a tip. HAHA! Just kidding! (Trying to bring some levity in a thread that has taken a few wrong turns lately...) I actually tipped him a whole 42 cents. :eek: :D

I don't quite get all the ranting and raving. It seems like almost everyone agrees that it is a personal choice if one wants to tip more than the $30 charge. Even the one name caller didn't say anything until all the explanations about why one doesn't care to tip extra.

No excuses are necessary for choosing not to tip and making statements that make it seem that the staff are completely insignificant human beings is uncalled for.

The $30 per person is not a tip. The majority of that money goes to Celebrity to pay for the higher quality food and cost of preparation. Only a piece of that $30 goes to the servers for a tip. One certainly is not required to tip at specialty restaurants but you do have to take into account that the servers are only getting a limited chunk of the $30 cover charge when making your decision whether to tip additional or not. If the $30 cover was truly a $30 gratuity I certainly would be reluctant to tip more, but that is just not the case.

Celebrity says the gratuity is included in the $30. The amount of food offered in the specialty restaurants is significantly less than the amount in the main dining rooms, and I didn't find the quality of anything to be significantly better in the specialty dining room. There may be many reasons why I didn't find it to be significantly special, but the point is I didn't. I very much enjoy the dining experience in the main dining room, so that is where I shall dine and tip on future cruises.

Again, to the OP, tip to your heart's content and don't concern yourself with what the rest of us think.

Happy cruising to all who can still afford to cruise (and fly)!

Bob

No excuses are necessary for choosing not to tip and making statements that make it seem that the staff are completely insignificant human beings is uncalled for.

Can you point out where someone did that? 'Cause I didn't see it in this thread.

I would agree that the OP has more than enough answers to the original question. The rest has mostly just been potshots at those of us with varying opinions. If any confusion still exists, go back and read Richsea's post #70 again. :D

I went back to the beginning and read every post. With the exception of one poster who said people who don't tip more are cheap there have been no potshots. In fact people have only related their experiences. Just read the thread and you might see what I mean.

I disagree that the wording gives the impression that the entire $30 goes to gratuities. I certainly don't read it that way, and wouldn't have even had that thought if I hadn't read your post.

The wording says it "covers gratuities", meaning (IMO) that the gratuities are included. Nowhere does it say that gratuities are ALL that is covered. That's a real leap of logic.

I have always assumed that part of it covered the tip, and part of it covered the higher cost of the higher-quality food - and it's not really my concern what the split is. It makes sense to me - I mean, one of the main reasons I go to the specialty restaurants is because the food is better than the main dining room, not JUST the service. So I would expect that part of the fee goes to pay for that, as well as the enhanced service.

As for tipping extra, that's a personal choice, and should not be considered a requirement. I always find it interesting to see how many people claim to give these huge tips, and I would bet money that a large chunk of them who say they do, don't...or at least, not as much as they say.

I tip based on service, not guilt. In other words, I do not factor in things like how much the waitstaff is paid, or how bad their work conditions are, or how badly the cruise line treats them, or how many children they have to support at home. I am not on the cruise to act as a charity towards the cruise line employees. I am a customer, and I will pay what I am charged, and tip appropriately based solely on the service I recieve.

I donate a specific percentage of my income to the charitable organizations of my choice, completely separate from my vacation. I do not hand out extra cash to individuals I encounter as a customer, whether it's on a cruise ship, a restaurant, a hotel, a grocery store....whatever. I tip as is appropriate, and no more. I'm not a bazillionaire - perhaps if I was, I would be tossing around 50-dollar bills to strangers. But I'm not.

This is the first post that said anything other than just what people do.

Agreed. The only reason I mentioned the charity issue is that on these tipping threads, you always get a bunch of posts telling everyone they need to tip more because these waiters are so underpaid, and they work so hard, and they come from such deprived circumstances, and gosh darn it they DESERVE it. The issue of how hard they work and how little they get paid is always raised, as a reason for handing out extra tips. My feeling is, there are lots of people out there who come from deprived circumstances and don't make a lot of money, and I can't hand out cash to every one I encounter. I help people in need through legitimate charities.

On board a ship, I follow the tipping guidelines provided, which clearly state that no additional tip is necessary in the specialty restaurants.

No one else mentioned this until you did.

That's an important point to recognize. The fact is that our relationship with the crew on board a ship is, at its heart, one of service provider to customer. They are doing their job, for which they get paid. We pay them, through our cruise fares and gratuities, to provide us with a service. They are not there to make friends with us...they are there to earn a living. If they give us the illusion that they are our friends, that only means they are doing their job well - but we need to remember that it IS an illusion. Keep in mind that every week or two, they get a whole new set of customers. If they made friends with customers from every cruise, they'd have more friends than they'd know what to do with!

We are not their friends...and nor are we their benefactors. We are their customers. As such, I do not feel a need to give them any more money than they earn through the service they provide. I expect them to meet my expectations, and if they do, I don't see any reason to hand them more cash. If they go beyond the norm and exceed my expectations by a significant amount, I may add to the standard gratuity by a comparable margin.

I work hard for my money, and I'm not in the habit of handing it out to people I don't know, for no reason.

Even at this point, no one has taken any potshots or said anyone should do anything other than what they feel they should. It seems to me that there was absolutely no criticism at all of people who only wish to pay the $30 charge so I don't know why the other things were even said. 99% of those responding to this thread agree that it is an individual choice.

You know, these tipping threads, regardless of whether or not a tip is included in the price of a meal, a drink, a massage, a bucket of ice, a lounge chair, an extra towel, a second pot of room service coffee or any other possible scenario, never cease to amaze me.

I have yet to see threads entitled "I"m Going Out To Dinner Tonight, Should I Tip Or Not?" "If I Have Exceptional Service At Ruths' Chris This Evening, Should I Still Tip 15% Or Should I Tip 20% or 25%?"

"Help, My Hairdresser Gave Me A Fabulous Cut, Should I Have Tipped Him/Her MoreThan My Usual Tip?"

How are tipping decisions different on a cruise ship?

Doesn't everyone make this decision by themselves when they dine in a restaurant, get a haircut, massage, etc.? If your restaurant experience is out of this world, you may tip 25% versus a really bad meal with bad service that may only warrant a 10% tip.

I just don't get it. If you choose to tip extra, tip extra. It's up to you, just like every other daily decision you make. Who makes the decision as to what you do with your money?

Tip or don't tip. Aren't there only 2 choices? :confused:

Just a reminder that you may "not" necessarily see all posts in every thread as those that violate our guidelines "disappear." I'd like to also remind folks that when you see a "pot shot" at another poster, please DO NOT respond to it but rather hit the little red triangle that appears at the top of every post and report it so we can address it.

There is no place for "pot shots" on the boards so your assistance in keeping them off the board is greatly appreciated.

While Host Walt and I would love to be able to read every post of every thread, every day, that just isn't feasible. So help us out whenever you can !!!!

You know, these tipping threads, regardless of whether or not a tip is included in the price of a meal, a drink, a massage, a bucket of ice, a lounge chair, an extra towel, a second pot of room service coffee or any other possible scenario, never cease to amaze me.

I have yet to see threads entitled "I"m Going Out To Dinner Tonight, Should I Tip Or Not?" "If I Have Exceptional Service At Ruths' Chris This Evening, Should I Still Tip 15% Or Should I Tip 20% or 25%?"

"Help, My Hairdresser Gave Me A Fabulous Cut, Should I Have Tipped Him/Her MoreThan My Usual Tip?"

How are tipping decisions different on a cruise ship?

Doesn't everyone make this decision by themselves when they dine in a restaurant, get a haircut, massage, etc.? If your restaurant experience is out of this world, you may tip 25% versus a really bad meal with bad service that may only warrant a 10% tip.

I just don't get it. If you choose to tip extra, tip extra. It's up to you, just like every other daily decision you make. Who makes the decision as to what you do with your money?

Tip or don't tip. Aren't there only 2 choices? :confused:

I think it fair to point out that this thread relates to the specialty venues, not the other areas that are more simply undertsood so there is a different concern about what this venue is all about. I think the OP asked a good question, and I know I learned something from this one.

I could have posted a few weeks ago about how much to tip our cabana host while in Vegas since the internet had no information as hard as I looked.... But that had nothing to do with cruising.;)

I think it fair to point out that this thread relates to the specialty venues, not the other areas that are more simply undertsood so there is a different concern about what this venue is all about. I think the OP asked a good question, and I know I learned something from this one.

I could have posted a few weeks ago about how much to tip our cabana host while in Vegas since the internet had no information as hard as I looked.... But that had nothing to do with cruising.;)

I understand that this thread is exclusively for the "specialty" venues and I agree that this is a good question. Yes, we've gained the knowledge that the gratuity is "included", however, when you finish and begin to leave the table, the decision is still yours...tip or not. ;)

I'm not even going to touch on the cabana host. :D

Celebrity says the gratuity is included in the $30. The amount of food offered in the specialty restaurants is significantly less than the amount in the main dining rooms, and I didn't find the quality of anything to be significantly better in the specialty dining room. There may be many reasons why I didn't find it to be significantly special, but the point is I didn't. I very much enjoy the dining experience in the main dining room, so that is where I shall dine and tip on future cruises.

Again, to the OP, tip to your heart's content and don't concern yourself with what the rest of us think.

Bob

Wow, seriously? You're hungry after eating in the specialty restaurants? I'm always so full after that I'm glad the meal spreads out over a longer time span so I have some time to digest!

We personally find the food quality and the service exceptional in the specialty restaurants and will continue to tip extra if we feel that it's merited.

Wow, seriously? You're hungry after eating in the specialty restaurants? I'm always so full after that I'm glad the meal spreads out over a longer time span so I have some time to digest!

We personally find the food quality and the service exceptional in the specialty restaurants and will continue to tip extra if we feel that it's merited.

I don't believe I said I was hungry after dining in the Olympic Restaurant, onboard Millennium, but I felt with only three courses (appetizer or soup or salad), entree, and dessert, plus a cheese course, the total of food is less. In the main dining room, you get five courses, plus extra of any course, including entrees. There are more choices, and if you don't want a salad, but want three soups, you are welcome to have them.

My point was not that I left hungry (I did not), but that the experience left me somewhat unsatisfied. It wasn't bad, mind you, but it wasn't worth $30 per person additional, to my wife and me, that is.

But, as to tipping, people should decide for themselves and be at peace with the decision made.

Bob

I think the food in the specialty venue on X is plentiful, but then I don't normally eat every single course in the main dining room. I think the service in the Specialty dining room is amazing. It is choreographed like nothing else on the ship, and not routinely found on land establishments either. I leave there feeling like I have been treated like Royalty and have eaten like a Queen, and I love the boutique ambiance.

I can only hope the Fine Dining options remain this favorable and consistently exceptional once there are more specialty venues on the Solstice Class ships that offer the Fine Dining experience.

I don't believe I said I was hungry after dining in the Olympic Restaurant, onboard Millennium, but I felt with only three courses (appetizer or soup or salad), entree, and dessert, plus a cheese course, the total of food is less. In the main dining room, you get five courses, plus extra of any course, including entrees. There are more choices, and if you don't want a salad, but want three soups, you are welcome to have them.

My point was not that I left hungry (I did not), but that the experience left me somewhat unsatisfied. It wasn't bad, mind you, but it wasn't worth $30 per person additional, to my wife and me, that is.

But, as to tipping, people should decide for themselves and be at peace with the decision made.

Bob

I think that this is the first time I have ever read a post where a person didn't find the Specialty Restaurant satisfying.

I have always found the Speciality Restaurants on the M-Class ships a wonderful experience. I rarely compare fine dining, land restaurants to cruise ship restaurants...but last year I had an experience worth telling. My DH and I were in Las Vegas with quite a few of our cruising friends. We had dinner at Emeril Legasse's Restaurant in the Venetian...(the name escapes me, at the moment)...but all of us agreed that the Specialty Resturants onboard Celebrity ships, are by far better. Not only is the service better...but the meal itself. And at the price of $30/pp...it is very reasonable, compared to what we paid in Las Vegas.

I went back to the beginning and read every post. With the exception of one poster who said people who don't tip more are cheap there have been no potshots. In fact people have only related their experiences. Just read the thread and you might see what I mean.

Ma Bell, I don't want to get myself in trouble with the Mods, so all I will say is that the majority of the "potshots" aren't here anymore...for which I am grateful, because that kind of behavior is just plain unpleasant. I wasn't making it up, I swear.

But I appreciate you going back to read through the thread lookin' out for us! :)

Archived