Celebrity Equinox-Keel-Laying Today!

SailAway78

They announced the fifth a while back. That's when all the suspicion started about the end of the Mercury and Galaxy as X ships. Then X announced they are leaving confirming what we thought.

We are just not sure about the future of Century.

Hi, Larry!

I always enjoy reading your posts and seeing the cruise pictures you and Susie so kindly share on the CC boards. It will be wonderful to finally meet on the Equinox TA.

Here's the press release about the 5th Solstice class ship.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1535

There was some discussion on the boards a few months ago when Meyerwerft posted the press release before RCL made any announcement about #5. The release was quickly pulled from the shipyard site. We thought it was to allow the Company to announce to the stockholders about the order of the 5th Solstice class ship, but as far as I recall, no press release was ever issued. A few days later the above release was on the shipyard site.

Perhaps someone else knows more about this.

Bonnie

Here's the press release about the 5th Solstice class ship.

There was some discussion on the boards a few months ago when Meyerwerft posted the press release before RCL made any announcement about #5. The release was quickly pulled from the shipyard site. We thought it was to allow the Company to announce to the stockholders about the order of the 5th Solstice class ship, but as far as I recall, no press release was ever issued. A few days later the above release was on the shipyard site.

Perhaps someone else knows more about this.

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie !

Unless I am mistaken, I do not believe that RCI/Celebrity ever had an "Official" Press Release about a firm order for a 5th Solstice Class ship. The really interesting part, is that Celebrity's last Press Release regarding Solstice (May 29th) refers to 4 ships, and not 5. I know that Meyerwerft and others have reported the mysterious 5th ship, but I am not 100% certain this is a done deal.... yet.

I am wondering.... with the economic and oil turmoil out there, if the 5th ship has been put on hold for now. Time will tell.

Hi Bonnie !

Unless I am mistaken, I do not believe that RCI/Celebrity ever had an "Official" Press Release about a firm order for a 5th Solstice Class ship. The really interesting part, is that Celebrity's last Press Release regarding Solstice (May 29th) refers to 4 ships, and not 5. I know that Meyerwerft and others have reported the mysterious 5th ship, but I am not 100% certain this is a done deal.... yet.

I am wondering.... with the economic and oil turmoil out there, if the 5th ship has been put on hold for now. Time will tell.

There is a "Letter of Intent" to build a fifth Solstice Class Ship (passenger capacity - 2,850); to be delivered in the Fall of 2012!

We are just not sure about the future of Century.

I missed the announcement about Mercury leaving.

I think the refurb of Century ensures that she'll be in the fleet for at least another 5-10 years. By adding Murano, all of the new balconies, CC, etc. it looks like they're trying to "Milleniumize" her, making the gap between her and the Millenium ships smaller.

As for Equinox, now I'm even more excited! We'll be on her for Christmas/New Years 09 and I'm really looking forward to following her construction more than I've followed Solstice's.

This is rather a funny situation as the shipyard Meyer-Werft announced the fifth ship but Royal Caribbean has not annouced it as of yet. Here is the press release from the shipyard.

The above press release mentions a 'pre-contract' for the 5th ship. Is that the same as a 'letter of intent'?

There is a "Letter of Intent" to build a fifth Solstice Class Ship (passenger capacity - 2,850); to be delivered in the Fall of 2012!

Hi GeriatricNurse !

Sorry to disagree, but a letter of intent, is not a firm commitment to build a ship. I've seen letters of intent turn into nothing. Until I see a Press Release from Royal Caribbean and/or Celebrity, I do not consider the 5th ship a done deal. If the 5th ship was a firm commitment, Celebrity would state in their Press Releases that they have 5 Solstice ships coming, not 4, as they currently mention.

I want to make it clear, that I am not suggesting that a 5th ship is not happening. I'm just a bit perplexed, like the rest of us. It could all be a matter of legal or technical issues to be worked out. We will have to wait and see what the outcome is.

:confused: Good evening all,

Simply put: 4 firm orders with an option for a 5th.

An option can be cancelled or taken back at any given time. Current economic scenarios globally make the ''option'' a well-advised direction to follow.

Airlines and aircrafts lessors often do that with Airbus or Boeing: firm order for xxx of a certain model ,with options for xx more ( which of course can be upped, reduced, cancelled, deferred or executed,depending on how the biz is working....)

Cheers

;)

Archived