PG July 26 Post-Cruise Impressions

Let me preface this by saying we are NOT frequent cruisers (this was our first time on the PG), but we feel the PG is definitely the way to go for at least your 1st visit to French Polynesia, as you get a good sampling of most of the islands, and it is a great overall value vs. a land vacation there. That being said, here are our highlights:

1. Sting Ray Ballet/Snorkel Safari on Bora Bora. This is a MUST DO excursion. Feeding sting rays and swimming with black-tip reef sharks is something my family will never forget.

2. Pastries/Bread/Desserts - Food was very good, but pastries and breads are all made fresh on board as we learned during a Galley Tour - another recommended actvity.

3. AOTE Youth Program - excellent program run by Cousteau's Ocean Future's Society naturalists. However, I would not recommend it for kids under 8 or so, unless they are decent swimmers.

4. Motu Mahana - make sure you go, and have a drink in a coconut!

5. Excellent overall service from the mostly Filipino staff. Very attentive. (plus, it probably didn't hurt that my DW is Filipina, therefore getting a little extra special treatment :cool: ).

All that being said, there was only 1 minor low-light of the trip: we were surprised to see 3 or 4 babies on this cruise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Regent's policy was that they do not allow kids under 1?!? A few other passengers complained that a couple of these kids were a nuisance on excursions, and the occasional screaming/crying was noticeable, but not nearly enough to ruin an excellent vacation!

Thanks for posting your impressions. I love reading post trip impressions and reports, even if posters don't like the PG as much as I do!

On our last trip, the passenger next to us asked for sourdough toast at breakfast. Although they didn't have any, he was immediately visited by a chef (or baker?) who said they would be glad to make some that evening and have it available for him for the next day, and any other days he would like it for breakfast. The passenger demurred, but I was impressed by the sincerity and timeliness of the offer.

Thank you for your impressions! Could you go into a bit more detail on the stringray ballet/snorkel on Bora Bora? Was it a visit to a great snorkel spot, then to stringrays, then to a place where someone fed sharks while you looked on nearby? And how many were on the boat? I ask because I'm thinking of booking a day with Patrick, and this may be quite similar.

Thank you for your impressions! Could you go into a bit more detail on the stringray ballet/snorkel on Bora Bora? Was it a visit to a great snorkel spot, then to stringrays, then to a place where someone fed sharks while you looked on nearby? And how many were on the boat? I ask because I'm thinking of booking a day with Patrick, and this may be quite similar.

The visit was to a sandbar, in about 4 foot-deep water. At that point, the guides fed the sting rays fish, and allowed us to feed them as well. During that part, fish were thrown out around our perimeter to attract the sharks, which would encircle the group, not getting any closer than 10 feet or so from us. If someone tried to approach a shark, it would swim away. What was surprising was that we really felt no fear when the sharks were near, therefore allowing us to gain a much greater appreciation for them. Then after the sting rays were fed, we snorkeled out to the coral gardens towards the main barrier reef where the snorkeling was excellent, but the boat never moved. There were a few minor currents during the snorkeling part that may discourage newbie snorkelers, but not a big deal. There were about 15 of us (AOTE kids, parents and guides) in a covered boat. The whole thing lasted about 3 hours. Have a great trip!

Q: Are children allowed? And what about children's fares?

A: Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult over the age of 21. RSSC may restrict the number of children on board. RSSC is unable to accept infants less than one year of age.

Thanks for that quote -- that rule makes sense. Wonder if the rules for the PG are different since they aren't owned by Regent:confused:

Archived