Spring Break or Thanksgiving?

addicted2cruizin

For our family cruise in 2009 we have narrowed down our choices to the following:

Crown Princess March 2009-Eastern Carib. (Princess Cays, St. T, St. M, and Grand Turk)

OR

Emerald Princess November 2009-Eastern Carib. (Princess Cays, St. T, St. M, and Grand Turk)

Cruisers will include two adults in late 30's, 9 year old DD, 12 year old DS and up to 4 adults in their early 60's. Both cruises leave from Fort Lauderdale. Most likely we will be driving to the port, so the airport is not a factor. Any recommendations on which one we should choose and why?

Thanks for your feedback!

Addicted

I'd pick the March cruise for two reasons, one silly and one not:

Silly reason: March is only seven months away, November is over a year to wait!

Not silly reason: I think you're going to see better weather in March. November is the very tail end of hurricane season, which isn't a big deal, BUT it can also be still rainy in the Caribbean, and since those ports aren't as far south, the chances of not-hot weather are greater. Now, I'm sure it could also be fine -- perfectly hot and sunny, but I'm just saying, if it were me, I'd pick March. It's high season for a reason!

You titled your thread with the names of the holidays: I'm sure you'll get a lot of posts prophesizing dire outcomes for picking spring break time. But if your kids are off in March, then that's when you gotta go. Me, I wouldn't let it stop me from sailing; I'd just go into it not expecting a totally sedate and quiet experience!

Hope this helps.

P.S. Do you need a dog sitter for that adorable pupster in your avatar??

I'm one of those "avoid spring break" people. Since you have no one in the 18 - 29 yr age, I don't think the risk of sharing a boat with a bunch of spring breakers is worth it. Even if there aren't any college spring breakers, a bunch of teens and pre-teens can still cause a ton of trouble.

Thanksgiving still gives a good opportunity for some kids so the kids in your party won't be totally lonely, but much less chance of a huge crowd of them to build up peer pressure and cause mass trouble.

Thanksgiving is also late enuf that I wouldn't worry too much about hurricanes. Beginning of Nov might have some danger, but by Thanksgiving, a hurricane is highly unlikely.

Here's another vote for avoiding the Spring break crowd. There tend to be a lot more passengers who think they're in Cancun with lots of partying, noise and probably behavior you don't want your 9 and 12YO to see. Your parents won't be thrilled either.

My personal feelings........For your chosen itinerary......My first though is neither. I would avoid the spring break crowd (mobs of kids) and the problematic weather around Thanksgiving.

Assuming your 60 yr olds are parents and in-laws..... and you are stuck with those choices do to school / work schedules / whatever.....plus do not want to fly (to choose a different itinerary).......for the family cruise.... I would opt the Thanksgiving and risk the weather.

My first reaction is to do both :)

I like cruising thanksgiving because I only need to use 3 vacation days. I like cruising in February or March because I like to cruise.

I would not worry about the hurricanes after November 1st as the frequency of hurricanes drops off significantly. I think I will be on other cruises both thanksgiving and in the spring and I think both are great.

If you wait to long in March it can get a little to hot on some islands IMO.

Bottom line one is fantastic and the other is better. Have a great cruise.

Thanksgiving is my one and only choice. This year we're doing a family cruise again; on the new Ruby. This will be our 4th family Thanksgiving cruise since 2000. There will be something to do for everyone, no matter what age they happen to be.

Spring break could be and usually is a fiasco on any ship.

Pia

If you took a 10 day cruise (Emerald Princess out of FLL) during spring break, you will find a lot less "spring breakers" of any age.

Having done a number of B2B ten dayers, or 14 dayers during March in the last few years, there has never been an issue.

We have been on both and I prefer the Thanksgiving cruise over the spring break. During spring break the ship is overrun with kids. Princess has Kid security guards that try to prevent the kids whose parents let them run loose from annoying the other passengers but it doesn't always work. The kids' programs are pretty full too. Thanksgiving there will not be as many kids on board and you can have a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner without all the cooking and preparation that goes into it. The ship does a great spread for the day. The kids can get more attention in the kids' program too.

I love the Caribbean in November/December. I really have never had any problems at Spring break, but there can be unruly crowds in some ports (Cozumel, for instance.) The real problem for me is that it is too cold in the water for my taste in March.

Archived