Unhappy with location on Valor

BettyPC

I just don't get it. People can write reviews on the Valor and complain about Carnival giving them a noisy room - but they can't look at where their cabin is located and notice that under the Buffet might be noisy? Or perhaps under/above a disco could be noisy....

I turned down an upgrade(?) to stay on Empress deck. Quiet down there.

Sorry for the rant - just hit me the wrong way. DOD where are you?

People could save themselves a lot of grief if they didn't bother to book guarantees unless they knew they were actually willing to be happy with the least desirable cabin they could end up with. But noooooo... everyone expects a fantastic upgrade.

:D

If folks to not do research on where their cabin is, it is their own fault. I always pick my cabin so that there is no doubt about where I will be. If you leave it to chance, you take your chances.

We will be on the Valor November 8, 2009 for the SALUTE TO VETERANS cruise out of Miami and I selected my cabin months ago. On my other two cruises, I look long and hard at which cabin to choose before committing.:D

People could save themselves a lot of grief if they didn't bother to book guarantees unless they knew they were actually willing to be happy with the least desirable cabin they could end up with. But noooooo... everyone expects a fantastic upgrade.

:D

Exactly why I ALWAYS bad mouth upgrade threads.

Dan

Ditto on picking out our own cabin. We tried guaranteed twice, once didn't get an upgrade and a cabin I wouldn't have picked out, and the second time ended up in a room the farthest from the elevator anyone could get. Won't do that again!

i always wondered that too. v. weird. i make sure my cabins are sandwiched on ALL sides by other cabins.

I like to be sandwiched in as well, but for just this one time, I'm going to be on the upper deck with most of my family. I've never picked the upper deck because I worried about noise. On the empress deck, I didn't have to worry.

I carefully picked my cabin on the upper deck. I'm in cabin number 6256, which appears to be above the ladies room from what I could see. Has anyone ever had this cabin? How was it?

I used to work as a host at Olive Garden and people would say they wanted first available and smoking would be open or a short wait and nonsmoking might be say a 30+ minute wait. So we'd seat them in smoking and they'd get mad and say that they didn't want to be by smoke.....uh....first available means first available which usually means smoking. I don't get people

i always wondered that too. v. weird. i make sure my cabins are sandwiched on ALL sides by other cabins.

And I don't want the room on either side to be connecting with strangers. I had a really bad issue with a smoker and we had a bal. Couldn't get away fron it inside or out. I left DH in the room to watch TV alone to get away from it..

I won the free cruise raffle and part of that is you don't get to pick your cabin. I upgraded to a 8A and I left specific instructions that I want a cabin near the central atrium elevators. I know there were several cabins in the area that were available, thus, I got one which is perfectly located above the main gift shop. It should be quiet, I can't see anyone who is shopping in the gift shop whooping it up and having a good time....

If in doubt, pick your cabin!!!!!! I usually do, but my January cruise was not possible--U just got very specific where I wanted my cabin..and it worked..

I just don't get it. People can write reviews on the Valor and complain about Carnival giving them a noisy room - but they can't look at where their cabin is located and notice that under the Buffet might be noisy? Or perhaps under/above a disco could be noisy....

we were under the buffet, and it was quite. heard a chair one time.

we were under the gym, and it was quite.

I am happy it was quiet for you. For me there is nothing worse than noise when I am trying to sleep - get very cranky!!;)

I get what you guys are saying and it makes a whole lot of sense. But for some of us, we are newbies at crusing (my second cruise coming up but the first time I've done the booking myself). So for those of us who aren't "experts" at this cruise picking thing, how about cluing us in on how to find out exactly how to read the map on CCL's website to figure out how full the ship is or what is the best deck, etc, etc. I know I would GREATLY appreciate that. Is there a thread like that and did I miss it? Thanks

I've never booked a cruise either, but SOME of it is common sense. You can look at the layouts of the ships and say you're directly under a club, it's likely to be noisy. If there are cabins above you, it shouldn't be too noisy, if you have them below you as well, even better! But without knowing firsthand I would assume that if you must choose something besides rooms above or below you I would choose to have rooms above, something else below instead of rooms below and something above. You're more likely to hear noise through the ceiling (their floor) than the other way around

Well I did a balcony gtg, and I got the lido deck, in a great location, so no problem with my gtg cabin, glad I went that route, saved me 500 dollars in price, if I would have wanted the lido deck.

So to each there own.

We were under the treadmills and as others have said, you hear thump thump thump thump. Since it started at 7 am and ended before we went to bed, once we figured out what it was, it wasnt so bad. Id pick the cabin again, because it was a little larger.

I think everyone's tolerance of noise varies. Im not that picky.

I've never booked a cruise either, but SOME of it is common sense. You can look at the layouts of the ships and say you're directly under a club, it's likely to be noisy. If there are cabins above you, it shouldn't be too noisy, if you have them below you as well, even better! But without knowing firsthand I would assume that if you must choose something besides rooms above or below you I would choose to have rooms above, something else below instead of rooms below and something above. You're more likely to hear noise through the ceiling (their floor) than the other way around

Right, when someone makes 8 straight passes at the dice table, make sure the floor they're jumping up and down on is someone else's ceiling. Not yours.:D

Dan

We have stayed on different floors but the last two we got rooms on the LIdo deck and loved it. I was concerned it would be noisy but it was so quiet. Think the rooms must be soundproof. Our favorite is the Lido with a balcony. Lido is very convenient to everything.

Sailing on the VALOR on the 12th of Oct. coming soon.

MOM

Unless you are someone who has previous experience with various cabins OR you happen to read a review it's not as easy as it may seem!!! If I hadn't read on here that the cabins below the lido deck might be noisey I'd have booked a cabin located below the buffet area. My thinking would be that they are closed during the hours I'd want to be asleep with the exception of the gala buffet. I'd expect that because they aren't serving food at night it would be quiet. Of course I know better after reading reviews on here. I also have read MANY comments about how the walls are made to be sound proof etc but again I learned that isn't going to block noise from certain areas. I booked a cabin on the Valor that was above the arcade. I had a similar location on my first cruise aboard the Triumph and had no noise at all. On the Valor the music/noise from Club O2 made that a noisey location while the club was open. I mentioned this in my review to warn nappers or early sleepers of the noise. For us it was a fine choice but might not be for others. If people simply took whatever cabin they were assigned and did NOT mention the noise how are others supposed to be made aware? I want to read reviews that include all aspects of their cruise the good and the bad included. :)

Unless you are someone who has previous experience with various cabins OR you happen to read a review it's not as easy as it may seem!!! If I hadn't read on here that the cabins below the lido deck might be noisey I'd have booked a cabin located below the buffet area. My thinking would be that they are closed during the hours I'd want to be asleep with the exception of the gala buffet. I'd expect that because they aren't serving food at night it would be quiet. Of course I know better after reading reviews on here. I also have read MANY comments about how the walls are made to be sound proof etc but again I learned that isn't going to block noise from certain areas. I booked a cabin on the Valor that was above the arcade. I had a similar location on my first cruise aboard the Triumph and had no noise at all. On the Valor the music/noise from Club O2 made that a noisey location while the club was open. I mentioned this in my review to warn nappers or early sleepers of the noise. For us it was a fine choice but might not be for others. If people simply took whatever cabin they were assigned and did NOT mention the noise how are others supposed to be made aware? I want to read reviews that include all aspects of their cruise the good and the bad included. :)

I agree 100% - a review should include all - good & bad. I love reviews and read a lot of them (no life) It struck me as strange when i started this post.... Weird sense of humor perhaps

When sailing solo I choose an inside guarantee. I come prepared with the knowledge I may have a noisy cabin so I bring ear plugs. I'm only in the cabin about 8 hours a night anyway.

I choose the guarantee insides to save money so I can travel 3-4 times a year rather than one or two. You won't ever find me complaining with whatever room I get. If I want to pay more for a specific cabin I have that option.

Happy sails. :)

It's one thing to warn of a noisy room. Like I had room #___ and it was under ____ which made it kind of noisy. It's another for people to b*tch and moan about their location. Unless they picked a room that truly looked as if it should be quiet, but then there was some loud mechanical room next to them or something that you couldn't tell by looking at the deck plan. If somebody choose a specific room that appears to be unnoisy and winds up being noisy, I would understand someone to be upset. But guarantees are CHEAPER than the other rooms of that category for a reason, you may get something undesirable and that's the chance you take when leaving it up to someone else to pick for you.

Archived