Why internet on a cruise?

mehitabel

No but depending on how close the family member is you may have to arrange to leave early to support the family.

Thank you!! I often think that it's not at all about what we can do for the deceased, it's all about who they've left behind and what does that person wish me to do to provide support: leave my cruise part way through, or stay till the end and then be there for them? Because at that point, it's not all about me, or my vacation.

Personally I do check my work email every day or two...and not because I think I am indispensable, if I was, I did a bad job of training my employees.

But, I do like to know whats going on at work, while on vacation. I relax much better if I know there are no major issues awaiting me when I return. I also like to keep my email box cleaned out. I often receive 200+ emails a day at work. Coming back from a 2-3 week vacation to find 3,000-4,000 emails waiting on me is enough to make you quickly forget you just had a wonderful 3 weeks away. If I take 15-20 minutes each day and keep that mailbox cleaned up, I can come back and not have to deal with that mess. It also helps me come back to the office and pick right back up without spending 2 days trying to catch up with everything that happened while I was out.

And to those people who said you can't do anything about an emergency, thats not exactly true...if important enough you can catch a flight at the next port, transfer money to someone who may need to take care of a situation for you, deal with legal matters and make medical decisions.

And as many of said, its a personal choice...why does anyone care what I do on my vacation time, except the people I am traveling with?

If someone dies while I'm away... Would my e-mail save them?...

I have a strong opinion about employers 'expecting' (which means demanding) that staff attend e-mails after hours, on weekends, on vacation... Stroke the ego of indispensability then exploit, exploit, exploit... And if you don't buy into this crap-ola you'll see how indispensible you are... If you are a self-employed solo its different - but jeez - do something to give it a break...

I understand where you're coming from but supporting your family/friends and letting them know you're thinking of them if someone dies or is injured is very powerful and in some cases, necessary for those left behind.

And I understand about people working for a company that "expects" you to be available 24/7, even when on vacation. That happens but often, and particularly in today's employment market, people don't have a choice or other options but to take that sh**.

Last November, I was on a cruise when I got word from my daughter that one of my cats had had a long-term seizure and they wanted to know what course of treatment I wanted the vet to make. She was on the East Coast, my cat and pet sitter were on the West Coast, so she couldn't be there to evaluate the situation. I'd left instructions but in retrospect, they weren't specific enough. When I called to let them know, it turns out that the cat had passed away so there wasn't a decision to make. After I returned home, I left very specific instructions with the vet in case one of my cats got sick while I was gone.

I'm retired now but before retiring, I was a partner in a marketing company with three other partners. Each of us had an area of expertise that made it very successful but when I was away, they could follow the instructions I'd left behind but if a new project came in, they would have to sub-contract it out, which none of us wanted to do since that cost us profit from the project. So, I was pretty much always in touch and able to provide direction or facilitate the sub-contractor no matter where I was, which was reassurance to my partners and saved us all money.

The point is that everyone has their own reasons for staying plugged in and it's not up to me or anyone else to tell them they shouldn't.

Anyone truly close to me, knows where I am, and is capable of contacting me - via phone or fax - in the event of a GENUINE MAJOR emergency.

The impression I have is that posters here are defending Millions of actual e-mails on the basis of the one 'Death Letter' they've never actually received... I'll readily risk the $100-200 mortality sat phone call - one I've yet to get - to preserve the fundamental disconnect that is the 'vacate' part of vacation. Technology increases the psychic challenge of this disconnect, but likewise I find it increasingly necessary to make this disconnect to gain true perspective about life.

It's a personal choice for sure, constant communication is very important for many (paramount to the young generation) but I'll happily avoid screening 1,000 oft trivial work e-mails during a vacation week. 15-20 minutes daily re-emersing into the occupational workplace defeats separation; why review unless one is going to respond, then where are you. For me, an hour or two sorting through e-mails after returning is part of the ritual of having been TOTALLY away.

But then, I might be wrong.

To each their own. :)

The impression I have is that posters here are defending Millions of actual e-mails on the basis of the one 'Death Letter' they've never actually received... .
Shortly after hearing that my step-father was dying, it was Mother's Day and we were docked in Barcelona. It meant the world to my Mom, who at the time was 91YO, for me to call and let her know how much I loved her and was thinking of her. I still get tears in my eyes when I think of that phone call.

Yes, to each his/her own.

I've terminated overseas travel where a close family member died - I'm not ignorant of the possible need. In that instance, the news came by telephone.

I just get the creeping and creepy feeling that via telecom we've become sociologically and psychic-spiritually reduced (and I know its a silly image in a silly movie) to those pod people in the original Matrix movie...

There are increasing numbers of people that would be besides themselves if required to go 24-72 hours without telecom. IMHO that ain't healthy.

Hey - do what you need to do and enjoy your cruise... :) to each their own.

Anyone truly close to me, knows where I am, and is capable of contacting me - via phone or fax - in the event of a GENUINE MAJOR emergency.

/quote]

But the phone/fax system on ships doesn't always work. I was cruising in Alaska when I received an offer on my house (which had been on the market for 9 months, go figure). My realtor knew to contact my assistant at work, who had the number to reach me at sea. She tried valiantly all that day and all the next to reach me using Princess's system -- no go. Finally she thought to send an email to my personal account, since I wasn't checking BUSINESS emails, and bingo, we were able to connect.

Hi DocM3/Betty :D

I'm taking my laptop with me on Sept 25 now that I can use my free internet package for my wireless laptop. I've done it twice on HAL and it's pretty easy. The advantage for me is that I can use my regular Outlook. I can download email in less than a minute and then log off the internet and read/respond.

The problem with the ship's computers is that you have to be online (and using minutes) while you do anything.

I would love to do just that! But do I understand correctly that you can't send mail from outlook without getting the correct "outgoing mail server (SMTP)? When I use other wireless sites from my home, I am prevented from sending using Outlook. I reply by going on line and using one of the internet webmail sites.

Thanks,

I forgot to mention that I too pay all my bills while on line; they automatically are posted on my checking account.

I am addicted to a morning paper; I admit to being a news junkie and find that I can't survive without my daily fix of the WSJ. I'm bringing my laptop!

Just to add absolutely nothing to this - my husband is the sys admin for AT&T and he supports users from the US, Guam and PR - he also provided the hardware support for AT&T's part of the Olympic broadcasts - go USA. He is required by the company to check in every couple of days to make sure nothing is going on. He brings his lap top, down loads and then read it all in the cabin (off-line), writes the necessary e mails, reconnects and sends everything. If it wasn't for Internet, we'd not be able to take a cruise over 5 days (we traditionally cruise between 10 -20). For us, it's a necessary evil.

We also use the lap top to keep a journal and to download photos, but that's another thread...

Archived