Dining with table mates who eat at different pace

supteeto

Well I hope no one takes this wrong but I am also like you, I eat fast too.

What I do is break the Ice, I tell my tablemate after we have met, hey guys I don't know about you guys but Im here to eat, so look out. In many cases the other guys will break into a smile and say same here, cool.

If we are done, we usually excuse ourselves and leave. No problem there. If the old farts don't care for our company, they usually get a table change and we never see them again, then we end up with a better couple.

Fred

Dan I'm in the same boat.

But, if we're not slow eaters...

And, we're not fast eaters...

Is it possible that we're half-fast eaters?:eek:

My Cardiologist says I'm a half fast eater!!!! But what does he know?:eek::D

Dan

Staistically speaking 50% of doctors graduated in the bottom ½ of their class:eek:

Charlie

And there is this!!

FACTS TO PONDER:

(A) The number of physiciansin the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

© Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

* Statistics courtesy of U.S.

Dept of Health Human Services.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now think about this:

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.

(Yes, that's 80 million)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

© The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

* Statistics courtesy of FBI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.

We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.

:eek::D

Dan

Dan, given those numbers, you are saying (that they are saying) - on average - about 1 in 6 physicians cause an accidental death each year...:rolleyes:

Just goes to show you that numbers can be manipulated in many ways... which is why it was ESPECIALLY good that you did not list Lawyers! :D ;)

(edit: suggestion... don't go hunting with Dick Cheney ... :) )

Tom

I understand your concern. I think anyone who has been on a Carnival cruise (and I witnessed this on other lines as well) can attest to the fact that there are some LOW CLASS people on board. I am not implying that I/we are "high class". My use of that word was not related to their socioeconomic class, but rather--- see #2: http://www.answers.com/low-class&r=67

Tom

No need to defend yourself...many of us know exactly what you mean.

There are those people who've never been out of Podunk in their lives. They've never been taught manners, courtesy, table etiquette. No one ever explained to them that they are not the center of attention; that when you're in a social situation, their are certain behaviors that are not acceptable.

Fortunately, I've never been seated with these types...but have sat nearby. Sometimes you can't help but feel embarassed for them. They are so clueless and don't realize that people are laughing at them and their antics simply show their lack of any social graces at all....it's a shame.

You will know the first night if things with your table mates are going to work out.

Example... a couple cruises ago...we were by far 30+ years younger than any of the others at our table...we had a eight-person table. It has nothing do with age but one lady had restricted diet needs and it took her FOREVER to pick out what to order. Then once it came she would not eat but talk and talk saying she was so lonely at home and it was so nice to have people at a meal to talk to. Granted her husband was with her and I never heard him talk once. It took one night of waiting course by course for her to finally finish, I felt like I had taken a beating.:eek:

I didn't want to go back the next night but my hubby said just one more time it may be better...we were on a 7-nighter. Not only had the other two couples dissappeared but it was a repeat of the night before...when we left that night I said no more and we asked to be moved. All you have to do is ask and they will seat you at another table.

Missygirl

Good question!

This is another reason why Cheryl and I choose to dine at our own table. Sometimes we like to savor the experience, enjoying some wine or drinks with dinner. Other times we only desire an appetizer and a main course - no dessert, and we are outta there.

We don't want to negatively impact anyone else's dining experience, nor do we want them to impact ours!!!

This does not even begin to address issues with table mates who are rude, stuck up, low class, poorly mannered - the list goes ON and ON!!! YES, those would be a minority, but it DOES happen - it has happened to us more than once. No doubt, some people would not want to sit with us either!!!:eek:

Tom

Do we need to request our own table ahead of time?

I didn't care for the group table last time (frat row).

I didn't want to go back the next night but my hubby said just one more time it may be better...we were on a 7-nighter. Not only had the other two couples dissappeared but it was a repeat of the night before...when we left that night I said no more and we asked to be moved. All you have to do is ask and they will seat you at another table.

Missygirl

This is why I love open dining; we've looked at various cruise lines and a "fixed seating" is always a disqualifier, for us. The seating times are either too early or too late, and there are so many interesting people to meet that I wouldn't want to be "assigned" to one group of people for the entire cruise.

Do we need to request our own table ahead of time?

I didn't care for the group table last time (frat row).

You can always put in that request with Carnival (or your TA). Once you get onboard, go to the dining room and try to find out where your table is. It's not as easy as it used to be - as it seems now they oftentimes don't have the table number placards on the tables during embarkation day (I suppose so the dining room won't be filled with people hunting down their tables)! In any event go to the Maitre d' and ask if he can make a change (if it's necessary) for you.

In the end, if you can't get your own table - it's not, by any means, a make or break issue. You might just make new friends - we did on one occasion!!

Tom

thank you everyone for your replies. It's good insight, my first post with this many responses!

I've decided to go ahead and have dinner with tables mates this time. I'm going to ask for a table of 4, this way I dont jump into this way over heard with a huge table.

I eat fast, not because I like to eat and run, but when the food tastes good (which was the case on my last cruise), I eat faster because it is soo good! My wife doesnt eat as fast, so I did have to wait for her to finish each course. I didnt mind, after all she is my wife and we just have conversations. I just didnt know if my natural eating habits would be a bothersome to others because I dont want to ruin or affect someone else' dining experience.

Thank you again everyone!

You actually may be better off with a larger group. If I were to finish my dinner long before the others, I would feel more comfortable leaving others with a group to continue dinner with than leaving them alone. JMO

We usually travel as a group (us, 3 boys, and Gma), so tablemates aren't typically an issue. That being said we requested a table for two once (anniversary cruise) and were seated at a 10 top. We asked the Matre D' about a table for 2 and were told NO. On another cuise sans kids we asked to be moved - two people at the table would take out their teeth after every course and rinse them in a glass OMG it was just gross...again we were told NO. So what am I doing wrong, why can't I get a two person table or moved when I ask? There are five of us going this time so hopefully it won't be a problem, but you never know.

We were very fortunate to be placed with 2 other couples our same age, but from different parts of the country, and we really enjoyed talking with them throughout dinner. I didn't notice anyone's "speed of dining" causing a problem, and we learned a lot of things about cruising, as it was our 1st cruise and they had many cruises between them.

I didn't notice any other tables making a scene either....everyone seemed on their best behavior....or I was just so into my first cruise I didn't notice!;)

There were a couple of nights we didn't make it to the dining room, and we always told our table mates the night before, so they wouldn't wonder when we didn't show up.

Tom I personally prefer eating with my own party, though I have had some enjoyable meals with others. I did find your comment a bit surprising about sitting with people who are "low class". I can see not wanting to be with folks with poor table manners, but the "low class" seemed kind of harsh to me, especially in light of your always upbeat, helpful, positive postings. I know you are entitled to your own opinion, it just seemed rather harsh, as I stated.

Why? You have never seen what would be considered 'low class' cruisers?

You must know the type, those that speak with their mouth full, never say thank you or excuse me and treat the staff like doormats?

That is what I consider low class and would never ever want to dine with them..;)

I try real hard not to be judgmental. There are some things that would be a deal breaker to me and folks eating/talking with their mouths full is one of them. Of course I see ALOT of crass behavior on a cruise and I just sit back in disbelief in regards to what some people do in the dining room, Lido deck, but I just try not to label them because saying things like "low class" doesn't seem right. Vulgar, yes, low class, not the verbage I'd choose, but... Some might characterize it as "low class" to arrive on a cruise vacation pulling a plastic case filled with beer or even to order a cake for ones birthday and consume it without offering it to other table mates and the list goes on.

We usually travel as a group (us, 3 boys, and Gma), so tablemates aren't typically an issue. That being said we requested a table for two once (anniversary cruise) and were seated at a 10 top. We asked the Matre D' about a table for 2 and were told NO. On another cuise sans kids we asked to be moved - two people at the table would take out their teeth after every course and rinse them in a glass OMG it was just gross...again we were told NO. So what am I doing wrong, why can't I get a two person table or moved when I ask? There are five of us going this time so hopefully it won't be a problem, but you never know.

You will likely find that the Maitre d' is more "able" to help you after your next cruise - when you sail on your 10th, and he sees your Platinum card. It does help - and it shows him that you have been around the block (more than) a few times!!!

Tom

Our last cruise, we chose anytime dining with Princess. The first two nights, we sat at a table for 8 or 10 because they did not have tables for two available at the time we wanted. The third morning, I called very early to make sure we got the table and time we wanted. We enjoyed just eating by ourselves and then mingling with others later. We also were able to get to the shows we wanted to see much faster.

I try real hard not to be judgmental. There are some things that would be a deal breaker to me and folks eating/talking with their mouths full is one of them. Of course I see ALOT of crass behavior on a cruise and I just sit back in disbelief in regards to what some people do in the dining room, Lido deck, but I just try not to label them because saying things like "low class" doesn't seem right. Vulgar, yes, low class, not the verbage I'd choose, but... Some might characterize it as "low class" to arrive on a cruise vacation pulling a plastic case filled with beer or even to order a cake for ones birthday and consume it without offering it to other table mates and the list goes on.

The cake scenario yes... someone bringing their own case of beer? Just crazy too much to carry LOL!

OMG How VILE! I would have went to the pursor if they didnt move us..I definitely would have complained very much about this.. That is just wrong! How gross!!!:eek:

We did go to the purser who basically said it was the MatreD's call. Our waiter though was SPECTACULAR...he told the guest it was offending others and would place a little towel (I'll never know how he got it to stand up) around the glass so it was visible only to them and he would make small talk, tell jokes, do magic tricks whenever they did it to distract us, He got a huge tip in the end from the majority of the table, in cash. He even asked the M'd to help and got nowhere...but it's a memory, and not the only one by far from the cruise - I'd know my waiter anywhere, but I couldn't pick the two miscreants in a crowd.

Tom and Cheryl so in just two more cruises I'll have value....cool:D . I'll have to cruise more to get there faster...Hey Tim it's Kim...need to book a cruise...

Archived