Dining with table mates who eat at different pace

supteeto

im going on my secod cruise at the end of this month. On my first cruise since it was my honeymoon, my wife and i decided to get a table for two. This time we are considering sitting with other people. The concern I have is that I have a tendency to eat faster than normal. If we were sitting with other table mates, do the waiters serve everybody at the same time? meaning if my wife and I finished our appetizer, do we have to wait for everyone else to finish theirs too before the entrees come on? Also, if someone in our group is running late to dinner, do we all wait for a X amount of time before the waiters start to take our orders? Is it rude to leave the dining room first if we are done eating or should we wait until everyone is done so we leave together?

I don't think it's rude to excuse yourself when you're finished with your meal.

In fact, I'd prefer fast eaters leave the table when they're finished. Less stressful for all involved, in my opinion.

My sister and her spouse and some friends are extremely fast eaters. While I eat at a leisurely pace. They look somewhat impatient waiting for me to finish and I feel like I have to rush due to their pace. This all leads to a less than enjoyable dining experience for all involved, so when they leave after finishing, they're happy, and I'm happy because I can enjoy the rest of my meal in a stress-free state.

im going on my secod cruise at the end of this month. On my first cruise since it was my honeymoon, my wife and i decided to get a table for two. This time we are considering sitting with other people. The concern I have is that I have a tendency to eat faster than normal. If we were sitting with other table mates, do the waiters serve everybody at the same time? meaning if my wife and I finished our appetizer, do we have to wait for everyone else to finish theirs too before the entrees come on? Also, if someone in our group is running late to dinner, do we all wait for a X amount of time before the waiters start to take our orders? Is it rude to leave the dining room first if we are done eating or should we wait until everyone is done so we leave together?

Would it be possible for you to slow down and pace yourself to eat at the speed of your tablemates? Is your spouse a fast eater, too? One way to slow down would be to take a bite or two and put your fork down, make a little conversation then begin to eat again.

Our family was taught that no one left the table until everyone was finished eating, unless our parents excused us. I know these are different times but I'd probably be surprised to have table mates that split as soon as they were finished eating without any regard for the rest of the table.

These are just my thoughts.

Ms B

Would it be possible for you to slow down and pace yourself to eat at the speed of your tablemates? Is your spouse a fast eater, too? One way to slow down would be to take a bite or two and put your fork down, make a little conversation then begin to eat again.

Our family was taught that no one left the table until everyone was finished eating, unless our parents excused us. I know these are different times but I'd probably be surprised to have table mates that split as soon as they were finished eating without any regard for the rest of the table.

These are just my thoughts.

Ms B

I think a cruise is a little different than the family meal. We also were taught not to leave the dinner table until we were excused at the end of the meal. We also were expected to be at the table when we were told it was dinner time with little or no exception.

We have been on cruises were some table mates just do not show up on time and the wait staff starts without them. Yes there are times we left the dining room earlier maybe because we did not want desert and coffee or we were meeting someone else at a specific time and dinner was running late.

In the OPS case how fast is fast? You may find the your pace will slow down because the wait staff usually brings the tables course servings all at the same time. Unless a couple of your table mates come a little late and orders have already been taken. I would try to pace myself though and enjoy the meal.

The meal is generally goning to be served course by course to all at the table. The appetizer/soup/salad portion may come out together but one plate at a time. If someone at the table orders all three (or more) from this section, the entreé portion will wait until all of the appetizer plates have been cleared.

The good news may be that Carnival is very good at matching up table mates for dinner. You may just find that having others to share your day with will slow down the process for you. I would certainly suggest that you go for a table for 4. The more people at the table, the more chance that there is a really slow eater amongst them.

While I was raised with the in the same culture as Ms Belvedere, I've come to grips (as I believe she has) that times have changed. Especially on a cruise I would not feel it rude for my tablemates to excuse themselves as they have "other things to do".

Question: When on your last cruise, did you find yourselves leaving the dining room before others around you had been served their entreés? If so, you may be much happier sticking with a table for 2 if possible.

Charlie

98Charlie and CruzVinnie, you're right about the family meal and times changing. We've rushed through a couple of courses ourselves so we can leave before the waiters began their dancing/singing. :p

Hopefully Carnival can work their magic and hook the OP and his wife up with a couple they enjoy eating with and they'll linger over dinner.

Have a great cruise, Supteeto - Sept 2nd will be here before you know it!

If you are wanting to dine w/ others, I would think it would be so you could get to know them and talk about each others day in port, maybe make new lifelong friends. That would be hard to do if you are eating fast and worrying about getting out of there. I am a fast eater too, but I just sit and talk to others when done eating.

We have never had that problem on any of our cruises. The waiters bring all the appetizers first. When the waiters bring the salads out, they start serving them to those who have finished with their appetizers. Those who are still eating their appetizers may do so. As soon as they are finished, they get their salad. All of the entrees come out at the same time and the waiters serve those who have finished their salads. The slower eaters get their entree as soon as they have finished their salad. There is enough time between courses so that you don't have to worry about eating fast or slow. By the time dessert is served, even the slower eaters have finished. You are free to leave at any time. I would not worry about it at all.

If you're fortunate, you may find you have table mates you actually like! In my case, I'm not a desert eater, but my wife is. When the waiter asks for our desert order, and I decline, everyone at the table cocks there heads to one side, lifts an eyebrow in disbelief! I just know they're thinking,"That boy is not of this world!" So, I just smile, and watch them gorge themselves into a diabetic coma. So, sit back, and enjoy your dinner, fast or slow!;)

I think the waiters do a great job of pacing the meal. My DH is a very fast eater and they've even managed to keep him paced with the others at the table. If you need to leave the table before the meal is finished, I don't think anyone will mind. I've seen that happen numerous times at other tables and no one seemed to worry about it at all. Have a fabulous cruise.

I have on a couple of occasions ask that our entree be brought out sooner. But I ask our tablemates first if it would be okay for us to leave early. Two times that stick out involved the past guest party starting towards the end of the meal time.

Like the OP has stated the usual method is each course gets served and completed before the next is brought out. If a party arrives late, they usually will hold up getting everyones order or may get everyones order but hold up sending the Asst to the kitchen to place it.

Dave

On Glory, we had a couple of young ladies who, when they did show up for dinner, would often arrive 30 minutes into the meal. The wait staff never waited for them to arrive. I thought it rather rude, not just to their fellow diners (we were at a 10-top), but also to the wait staff (late dining), as it kept them from doing all the things they had to do once the service was finished.

I used to be a really slow eater, but have speeded things up over the years, and can now wolf down my food with the fastest of eaters. But on a cruise, I love to relax and enjoy the whole dining experience, including chatting with my tablemates. I always request a large table (it's DD and I, so no need to want those private dinners), just so we can do so.

No diabetic coma for me, either! I normally request the cheese plate.

There have been times (only a few) that I've tried a new appetizer and found I didn't care for it. Instread of ordering something else, I'd just wait patiently for the next course....and sometimes I won't order the soup just a salad and the entree, so again I wait and converse with my table mates. And believe it or not, most times I don't order the dessert, so I politely excuse myself when I'm finished with my meal.

It really doesn't matter how fast or slow you eat; the food courses come out of the kitchen as each course is ready. It's not like a restaurant where the waiter's hang around waiting for you to finish your salad before they bring the next course. When it's ready in the kitchen, it's served.

Your tablemates are just that; people you have dinner with. Hopefully, it will be a most pleasant experience as most are. It's interesting to meet new people and have pleasant conversation over a fine meal. However, you aren't joined at the hip. When you and your companion are finished, it's quite proper to excuse yourself and leave.

Some like to linger over coffee and desert, some like to move on to something else.

Ask yourself the question: Would you be upset if those sitting at the table with you left before you were done? Probably not.

Go and have a great time!!!!:p

I much prefer a slower paced meal. If I were sitting with people who liked to eat and run, I'd be more comfortable if they left early. I wouldn't want to feel like I had to speed up OR make them slow down. It's not right either way. I don't want to screw up someone's vacation.

Fortunately, this has never happened to us. We've always seemed to have been seated with people who ate at the same pace. :)

The waiters will do what you ask/tell them to do.

Are you rude for eating faster than your tablemates? Or are they rude for eating slower?

I am not a fast eater, not slow either, have never noticed it to be a problem.

Dan

Good question!

This is another reason why Cheryl and I choose to dine at our own table. Sometimes we like to savor the experience, enjoying some wine or drinks with dinner. Other times we only desire an appetizer and a main course - no dessert, and we are outta there.

We don't want to negatively impact anyone else's dining experience, nor do we want them to impact ours!!!

This does not even begin to address issues with table mates who are rude, stuck up, low class, poorly mannered - the list goes ON and ON!!! YES, those would be a minority, but it DOES happen - it has happened to us more than once. No doubt, some people would not want to sit with us either!!!:eek:

Tom

Tom I personally prefer eating with my own party, though I have had some enjoyable meals with others. I did find your comment a bit surprising about sitting with people who are "low class". I can see not wanting to be with folks with poor table manners, but the "low class" seemed kind of harsh to me, especially in light of your always upbeat, helpful, positive postings. I know you are entitled to your own opinion, it just seemed rather harsh, as I stated.

I don't think Tom's response was harsh. Some cruises abound with low class people and I have seen a bunch of 'em. Glad I have never had to sit with the guy who scratched his behind in the buffett line.

Most times you are seated with others by chance. I liked the OP's answer when she said you are not joined at the hip. Thats true.

Unless I came on the cruise with another party then I feel that I am free to eat at my own pace and leave when I want. Think about it..why should you have to pace yorself for some stranger, then sit there bored to tears after you finish because you think its impolite to leave until everyone at the table has finished.

Its my cruise and I'll eat to satisfy my criteia and excuse myself when I am done. If someone else wants to do the same then I give them a smile and a "hasta la vista, baby".;)

I do think that Norwegian has dinner seating down pat with their freestyle cruising. You just show up when you feel like it within dinner hours of course..usually from 5 to 9 and sit at your own individual table every night. Occasionally you will be asked if you would like to share a table with someone but you are free to decline if you wish and it is no big deal.

Tom I personally prefer eating with my own party, though I have had some enjoyable meals with others. I did find your comment a bit surprising about sitting with people who are "low class". I can see not wanting to be with folks with poor table manners, but the "low class" seemed kind of harsh to me, especially in light of your always upbeat, helpful, positive postings. I know you are entitled to your own opinion, it just seemed rather harsh, as I stated.

I understand your concern. I think anyone who has been on a Carnival cruise (and I witnessed this on other lines as well) can attest to the fact that there are some LOW CLASS people on board. I am not implying that I/we are "high class". My use of that word was not related to their socioeconomic class, but rather--- see #2: http://www.answers.com/low-class&r=67

Tom

thank you everyone for your replies. It's good insight, my first post with this many responses!

I've decided to go ahead and have dinner with tables mates this time. I'm going to ask for a table of 4, this way I dont jump into this way over heard with a huge table.

I eat fast, not because I like to eat and run, but when the food tastes good (which was the case on my last cruise), I eat faster because it is soo good! My wife doesnt eat as fast, so I did have to wait for her to finish each course. I didnt mind, after all she is my wife and we just have conversations. I just didnt know if my natural eating habits would be a bothersome to others because I dont want to ruin or affect someone else' dining experience.

Thank you again everyone!

Good question!

This is another reason why Cheryl and I choose to dine at our own table. Sometimes we like to savor the experience, enjoying some wine or drinks with dinner. Other times we only desire an appetizer and a main course - no dessert, and we are outta there.

We don't want to negatively impact anyone else's dining experience, nor do we want them to impact ours!!!

This does not even begin to address issues with table mates who are rude, stuck up, low class, poorly mannered - the list goes ON and ON!!! YES, those would be a minority, but it DOES happen - it has happened to us more than once. No doubt, some people would not want to sit with us either!!!:eek:

Tom

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!!!!1

Archived