Basic Question about Cabin Categories

Rudolph38

Though I have taken two HAL cruises, with another one to come, I don't understand the factors which go into classifying cabins.

For instance, I know that as you go from a VH to VA the cabins are more desirable and cost more. But what exactly are the factors that make one veranda cabin better than another? Is it just location? If so, what is it about the location that makes one cabin more desirable than another?

If someone knows the details of this, I would appreciate finally understanding those mysterious letter combinations.

Thanks in advance,

Rudy

The two major components of "better location" are closeness to mid-ship, and how high up the deck is. I understand the first, but not the second.

The closer a cabin is to mid-ship, the less movement it will have in rough seas. Higher decks also have more movement than lower decks, so I don't "get" why it's considered better up there in the rarefied air. But it is.

Though I have taken two HAL cruises, with another one to come, I don't understand the factors which go into classifying cabins.

For instance, I know that as you go from a VH to VA the cabins are more desirable and cost more. But what exactly are the factors that make one veranda cabin better than another? Is it just location? If so, what is it about the location that makes one cabin more desirable than another?

If someone knows the details of this, I would appreciate finally understanding those mysterious letter combinations.

Thanks in advance,

Rudy

VA cabins are the most expensive. The difference in price from VA to VH is based on location --- being closer to the center of the ship is more desirable for most people (w/ the exception of those who prefer aft verandahs)

Hope that helps.

The closer a cabin is to mid-ship, the less movement it will have in rough seas. Higher decks also have more movement than lower decks, so I don't "get" why it's considered better up there in the rarefied air. But it is.

I've never understood this either. The center of gravity on a ship is lower, so paying more to be in a mid-ship cabin on a higher deck if you are concerned about feeling ship movement doesn't make any economic sense.

I've never understood this either. The center of gravity on a ship is lower, so paying more to be in a mid-ship cabin on a higher deck if you are concerned about feeling ship movement doesn't make any economic sense.
I think a lot of this harkens back to the "old" days where steerage was in the bottom of the ship. So to many people the higher up you are on the ship the more ritzy you are. To me I like the view better, I spend a lot of time on my balcony, in port and at sea, and the view up high is broader. I also like a little motion. On my Eurodam cruise I am in a VQ on the 10th deck...I think the veiw from up there is going to be great.

Thanks in advance,

Rudy

Think about your general life experience and apply it to this question.

There are any number of factors that can be postulated as justification for why one item is (or should be) valued more than another. There's a multi-billion dollar industry (advertisement) that exists to "help" us establish what is valuable. I have no doubt that HAL is plugged into this phenomenon. And as the ad industry understands, word of mouth is worth much more than a spot ad on TV. On this forum, there are many mouths.

I think a lot of this harkens back to the "old" days where steerage was in the bottom of the ship.

If you want to rely on this perception, you might want to consider that those days of "steerage" also had significant restrictions on where "steerage" could go, where they could eat, how they were housed and how they were served. From everything I've read, the designation of "steerage" was coined when the sailing industry was primarily dedicated to transport of individuals from one point to another. The cruise industry is not in that business any longer, so any vestiges of reliance on those "old" roots are suspect. From what I've read, even the crew is treated better than "steerage' of "old".

You might be correct in your thought, but it'll take a lot of explanation to convince me.

IF this is your primary concern, then you are correct. How many have this as their primary concern given the technology of cruise ships today and the itineraries they serve? Most cruises are 7 days or less. This duration tends to minimize the duration of discomfort, if any, of a choice of a panoramic balcony view compared to a lower inside cabin.

The two major components of "better location" are closeness to mid-ship, and how high up the deck is. I understand the first, but not the second.

I don't think it's "better" necessarily, but have to admit that I enjoy the "gentle" rolling of the action at sea. But that doesn't compel me to go for the high rent district as I can find that easily simply by going on deck or to the Crow's Nest.

Just as a point, the higher decks are also subject to increased pitch due to wind as well as waves. In most cases, these two forces are out of the same direction, so not individually distinguishable.

Archived