Outside cabins on the Prinsendam

lizf

I know all I really need to know for now about the balcony cabins on the Prinsendam, but I have never booked an outside cabin. Those CC posters who are familiar with these cabins, just on the Prinsendam, please help me. On one trip we took, a lady who had booked an outside was upgraded to a C cabin and on the overnight ports, she was kept awake by the passengers or crew coming up the ramp at all hours.

So in looking over the cabins there seems to be no difference in the D/E/or F cabins. I should say other than the location. Any preferences in any of these? Good, bad, or ugly? I couldn't find this specific of a question on the search mode so I would appreciate you folks who have stayed in them to comment please. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ahoy!

I can only address accomodations on the Dolphin Deck. Our first cruise on the Prinsendam we stayed in an aft G. A tad noisy when docking / anchoring with the anchorage chains, lateral thrusters, winches and such but otherwise everything is just fine while cruising. Likewise I would assume the forward G'S would be a bit noisy with similar machinary during docking / anchorage procedures.

However, we're easy to please folks. Now we stay in E's amidships and have never had a problem other than some aforementioned docking vibrations. Plus, during bad weather you won't "roll out of bed" as much.

The noise isn't all that bothersome (part of being at sea, no?) to us but then again we're up & about (well, me mostly) helping the staff make the first urn of coffee up in the Lido at sunrise.

If you enjoy a full size tub (which we do) be sure to book a cabin that has one (the deck plans show a little star I believe if they only have shower).

Enjoy your 'float'.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Very good response and most helpful. We too are very early risers as you folks are. I feared the rear or aft of the ship would have those vibrations since the main dining room is quite rocky and rolly during dinner when the ship is leaving a Port. Strange, but I started out thinking mid-ship in an E cabin or up one deck for a D cabin. You've helped me a lot.

Anyone else have preferences? Has anyone here had such a cabin with a shower only?

Just back from a 21 day cruise on the Prinsendam and for the first time had an outside (Cat E mid-ship) after having verandahs on the previous cruises on her.

I liked the location and the room was fine (same as verandah, just minus the ourdoors). Only complaint was a cloudy window which made viewing through the window somewhat difficult. I understand some have an additional layer of plexiglass on the inside of the regular window. Now, that would have taken the space we used for the place of honor for our towel animals.

We also had some problems with the hot water but were told to run it for five minutes and it'll be fine and that proved to be true. (Actually, it didn't take that long.) So much for the sign over the basin asking us to conserve water!!:p

LindaM. if you got the idea from me about the back of the Dolphin Deck, the vibrations I was talking about is not from that. The engines are in the back of the ship and when they are departing a port and start the engines, etc. the ship vibrates in the aft section. PrescottBob described it better in his post.

tjcox9- This is most helpful. We always travel in balconies or better, but for a longer trip, we need to conserve since we also want to take other vacations too, and the vacation fund is only so large. Concerning the plexiglass over the windows, do you know if all cabins have that? I seem to remember when this ship did the World tour, one gentlemen who posted the entire trip had such a cabin and he got it upgraded to the next deck due to problems with that. Thanks a bunch for reminding me. I think he got put up to the next deck in a D cabin. I'm going to research that out. But your tip was invaluable for me in planning. Also on the size of the cabin being the same as the balcony cabins minus the balcony. Did you per chance have a shower only cabin? Thanks again.

Does anyone know if the E cabins have refrigerators in them? I think I remember that the cabins on the Prinsendam do, but since we were in the balcony, I just don't know. Thanks.

We also recently spent 26-nites aboard the Prinsendam in a Cat E on the Main Deck slightly forward of midships. We loved the location as we were right next to the stairs/elevators leading to the Atrium of the LP Deck. Very convenient. At times, if we really strained to listen, we could hear the ping of the elevator. Not an issue for us. But our cabin groaned! I know it sounds silly, but it actually made a distinct groan that we've not heard on other ships. It wasn't continuous & we got used to it quickly, but it was noticeable the first few days.

The room was well laid out with a spacious walk-in closet, newly refurbed bathroom (we had tub/shower) & a sitting area with a sofa, table & chair. There was also a built-in bar/hutch that housed a flat-panel TV, assorted glasses/ice bucket and a small bar fridge.

The best part was that the bed was not under the window as in most oceanview cabins on other HAL ships. You can actually walk right up to it & enjoy the view. But I agree that the windows get cloudy. I really don't think we had an extra layer of plexiglass. I believe it was more a case of sea-spray accumulating on the glass & it wasn't cleaned regularly enough. We noted this to our cabin steward & at least some attempt was made to hose down the windows when we were in port. But they were never what you'd call brilliantly clear.

All in all, we would take our cabin again in a flash & wished the oceanviews on other HAL ships were configured the same.

Thanks everyone. You've really responded so well and I want you to know I sincerely appreciate your efforts and the information. I did another search and found out that ALL the cabins on Prinsendam have refrigerators. I did another search after remembering that it was Ides of March who was the poster on the World Cruise who had an E cabin. He posted on another thread that his cabin was on the Dolphin Deck and he would take it again anytime. He felt the main thing was to get on the ship no matter what category you had and the E cabins were an excellent value, etc. I requested our TA to change our request to an E cabin and I think its better than making a decision to cancel the cruise altogether.

We spent 27 wonderful nights in a category EE ( #479) on the Dolphin deck, just forwards of aft (close to stairs -- very well located) in Jan/Feb '07. I will not comment on the bathroom (it was a shower) but that bathroom is history since Prinsendam's recent drydock. We loved the walk in closet, we loved that the couch was at the window rather than the bed. We really enjoyed the older ship design with the cabin door opening on a small corridor rather than the main hallway (it keeps things much more quiet and private). We hardly ever heard any noise at all from other cruisers -- the cabin was very quiet. We did have the plexiglass over the window -- we, too, are not sure why it is there but we guessed that the plexiglass might help to reduce engine noise in the cabin (we did miss the use of a window sill for books and whatever because of the placement of the plexiglass).

There were times when we were really steaming that there was some vibration in the cabin, but we quickly learned what was vibrating and what to adjust (like in what specific position to keep the bathroom door) to reduce the vibes so that it was not a problem for us. There was a frig though we never used it. The cabins are so nicely designed we really enjoyed our time in that cabin. Personally I would rather take a second cruise than spend the dollars for a veranda cabin on this ship as the cabins are identical except for the veranda.

We were in C223 on the Lower Promenade - it was wonderful. We liked the inset doorways and the close proximity to dining rooms, outdoors, etc. There wasn't any noise from the hallways at all. Also loved the walk-in closet and the general layout of the room. We would book this cabin again in a heartbeat! Enjoy your Prinsendam experience!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Wow, these posts are just so valuable for anyone researching cabins on the Prinsendam. You've all been so kind to put real pros and cons on specific cabins and its going to take many cruises to try these terrific choices. I know the historic value of this thread is there because of you folks putting this information here. Thanks one and all.

Arzz- I followed your thrilling 27 day cruise around the bottom of S. America and was kept on the edge of my chair throughout your journey. Many thanks. My husband and I were lucky to have been able to do a cruise through West Africa a couple of years ago on the Prinsendam. We still consider that the trip of our lifetime. I don't think we'll ever top it and haven't tried.

Arzz- I followed your thrilling 27 day cruise around the bottom of S. America and was kept on the edge of my chair throughout your journey. Many thanks.

Hi lizf - Hope you don't mind this hyjack. I'll be quick;);)

arzz - Are you still around? I'd love any advice on cabin selection for a South America cruise. We'll be doing a similar itinerary to your SA trip on the Rotterdam but we'll be aboard the Amsterdam. We're thinking of Cat C on the LP but not quite sure.....Any words of wisdom?

Oops I now realize that you did the SA trip on the Prinsendam not the Rotterdam. Dang!

My personal preference is not to stay on the LP deck as the cabins on that deck are a little bit smaller than the outside cabins on other decks. We were in an LP cabin (full view but close to the bow) on the Volendam a few years ago and it was small enough that the couch was placed facing the window and not parallel to the wall. We found that cabin to be rather claustrophobic (we had to take turns walking around the cabin) and in general we do not like the "fishbowl" that the LP deck creates, as well as some noise. That being said, however, you cannot beat the proximity of the outside promenade itself and all the outside views available from there. If you wish to see penguins you can get up close and personal with them from the promenade deck (you will not be able to see them from the cabin window on the promenade deck, however, as you do not look directly into the water) -- the crow's nest and upper decks are great for glacier views and the 360 degree thing, but the penguins get mighty small from those heights.

Whatever you choose you will definitely have the cruise of a lifetime through South America. Are you going to Antarctica also? We were on the Amsterdam for a very short 7 days this past May and she is a beautiful ship. In just a few weeks we pack up for 65 days on the Amsterdam through Asia and the Pacific. We will be in a Dolphin deck category EE for that cruise. A bit of a sprint up to the promenade from there, but there will be much less scenic cruising on this itinerary. For us the interest in this itinerary is in the ports. In the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica the views are non-stop.

Whatever you choose you will definitely have the cruise of a lifetime through South America. Are you going to Antarctica also?

We were on the Amsterdam for a very short 7 days this past May and she is a beautiful ship. In just a few weeks we pack up for 65 days on the Amsterdam through Asia and the Pacific. We will be in a Dolphin deck category EE for that cruise. A bit of a sprint up to the promenade from there, but there will be much less scenic cruising on this itinerary. For us the interest in this itinerary is in the ports. In the Chilean Fjords and Antarctica the views are non-stop.

Thank you arzz! I'm glad you found my hijack post (thanks again lizf). I'm with you on the Cat C being smaller than the regular oceanviews & there is that fishbowl business. When we sailed Circle Hawaii in a Cat C on the Statendam several years ago, we quite enjoyed the location. So the jury is still out....

Our SA itinerary is Rio to Valparasio around Cape Horn & then continuing north along the coasts of SA, Central America & Mexico to Seattle. It's 38-nites which is our longest cruise yet. We have previously "done" Antarctica, South Georgia & the Falklands aboard Society Expeditions World Discoverer in 1998 so we didn't include the 7th continent this time.

We hope that a Grand Voyage is also in our future plans. Lucky you with 65-nites ahead of you. Enjoy the Amsterdam! I'll keep an eye out for your reports. Have you heard what will happen when she's in drydock next April? We're a tad concerned that our SA trip will be the last before she goes "under construction" for 2 weeks. Hope it's just a bit of TLC & not major surgery. Thanks again for responding.

Our cabin was 457, really mid-ship, and was great particularly since we did have some "active" seas in the North Atlantic. We felt little motion, but certainly noticed it when we went forward and in the Crow's Nest.

457 has the combo shower/tub. I believe these alternate in the cabins on the Dolphin deck.

As for which ones have plexiglas over the windows, the one I'm aware of is 471, which one of our tablemates occupied. The cloudiness on our window was in the glass and was not sea spray as someone suggested.

Hi Liz, I spent 56 days in cabin # 392 and it was fine, nothing wrong with the location. It looks like the very back of the deck but there were cabins beyond ours that were for the Minister, Port Lecturer and others.

I put a deposit on 2010 Grand South America...(73 days) and it would be fine with us if we had the same cabin. It needed remodeling but they have done that.

Enjoy, MaryAnn

Hi MaryAnn- Thanks for posting. I think that may be cabin 472 or so it shows on my diagram. That is the last one on the Dolphin Deck as far as shows on the diagram. Didn't you feel the ship vibrations there? They seem so bad in the back of the dining room, I thought it would carry through the entire aft of the ship. Congratulations on the S. America trip. We've pre-deposited on the 2010 Mediterranean trip but thats a lot of time to get through. I still hope one day we end up on the same ship at the same time.

Say, was there any deck area off the back of the Dolphin Deck where you could go out on at all? Where would you go when you were coming into a port or leaving? I was curious how far most folks went from that deck to see things going on outside.

I know you're just going crazy getting ready for the Pac. Rim trip coming up. Have a great time. You sure have a wonderful CC roll call going and I know you all will have tons of fun. I'm envious but we are kind of doing some car trips and recently took over 2 weeks to go to the Pac. NW, in fact Seattle, and then came down to the Oregon Coast and now I want to go back. That ocean on the coast was so pretty and all the seafood we ate still makes my mouth water. I know that doesn't compare to your cruises, but it was just wonderful to get away and there isn't as much traffic since the gas prices went out of sight.

Have you noticed that the Prinsendam will be in one month's drydock right before you get on in Jan. for your trip? Anyway the schedule looks like that to me. I sure hope this works out for us and we don't have to cancel. So many trips, so little time (and money)..........................

Liz, Everyone has been talking mostly about the Dolfin Deck. But 392, where we were, is the Main Deck. And it was fine for us. It was also the lowest priced cabin category for which they gave the Grand Voyage perks:p

The very few times we had vibration that I remember was 1 time in our cabin and 1 time in the dining room. I worried about my cabin choice like crazy after I read that 'Ides of March' had to change right away. But in our case it was a non-event.

We hung out on Deck 8 aft-the best rear deck anywhere-there was no rear deck on Main and I never went to Dolfin.

We are now going on the Amsterdam with a Lower Promenade cabin, we love having the large 'balcony' just out the doors :) . As early risers, I don't care about hosing the decks, etc.(We're in the Lido looking for coffee !)

I have piles of 'must brings' all over the BR but I will not overpack, I make a game out of mix & match.

We'll be spending 9 days pre-cruise traveling around the Washington and Oregon scenery.

Anytime the HAL ships get a face lift - it is a good thing. But some of my 'room for improvement' suggestions stay the same. Oh well, the pluses always outweigh the minuses.

All the best, MaryAnn

MaryAnn- Thanks for the reminder. I had completely forgotten about the Grand Voyage perks. Scared me to death until I went to the brochure for 2008 and we're covered in the E category. Could you tell me is the 100 lbs of free shipped luggage per person, or per cabin? This is a real bigee to us. We will be flying from NV, and I don't want to worry about missing bags. If its per person, no sweat. Per cabin and we carry lots with us.

Deck 8? We're still talking Prinsendam aren't we? Are you saying the Sports Deck? That is clear up top. I was thinking that when we get up many times the ship is just coming into a port. We would go out on our balcony to see things. From the Dolphin Deck, where????

9 days cruising around Oregon and Washinton? Wow, I'd think I just died and went to heaven. The coastline is so pretty all through that area, but Depoe Bay is always where we head. Or Lincoln City. If you get to Lincoln City and get a chance, stop at Otis Junction, about 10 miles inland from Lincoln City. A teeny tiny wide spot in the road over to the coast from I-5, but everyone stops at the Otis Cafe. Everyone, really! They were written up in the NY Times one time and there is always a line of people waiting to get in. All day long its like that. We go for breakfast when we're 'at the Coast' before there is a crowd. There are only about 5 booths, it is all homemade everything. Home made bread, pies, etc. Thats all I'll bore you with.:) Can you tell we're from Washington State? Too funny.

I know that Amsterdam will be so good. Sounds like you picked a great spot too. Good for you. TTYL.

My apologies, Liz, the aft deck we loved is Deck 4. We had friends in cabin 198 and used to meet out there alot for our own 'Happy Hour'.

You might have to check about the per person or per cabin perk on the luggage with your TA or call HAL. I couldn't find the correct info. on HALs website.

Last year, we had the perks in 392 but took the credit instead of the luggage perk. In our case, we were 50 miles from the port and took our own luggage. This year, we chose a category without perks and made out better, moneywise, paying for some of those ourselves. For example, UPS instead of luggage service, it's not as convenient but doable for us.

I'll ask my cousin in Yachats, OR about a side trip to Otis Cafe, Thanks, M.A.

We've had both the tub and shower-only cabins on Prinsendam, and much prefer the shower. The bathroom is much better organized and seems much larger, as the tub takes up a lot of space, and all cabins are of similar size. We've also been on C deck, and like the convenience, so long as we aren't all the way forward (which we were, last time). That cabin is smaller, and if the anchor isn't secured, it bangs against the hull until someone fixes it (after 4 or 5 calls:rolleyes: ). However, we love Prinsendam, and would sail on her anywhere. Nancy

Archived