Has anyone ever used Okeydokey tours with Charlie Soto

jacketwatch

We have waited several weeks to make this report about Okee Dokee Tours in Peurto Limon, Costa Rica as Mr. Soto had promised to make good on our botched tour. My wife and I with another couple booked a private fishing tour with Mr. Soto during our cruise last April on the Jewel of the Seas. We contacted the company and had great response. The story is that we paid $100 each for a 4 hour fishing excursion. We had emails from the companies owner that food and drink would be provided and that a driver would meet us at the port. We arrived at port and there was no driver. We finally went outside the gate and after several inquiries, found our driver. The driver (forgot his name) gave us a nice driving tour of the port area and took us to the boat. Buyer beware as when I have booked deep sea excursions in other ports, the boats have all been regular sport fishing vessels. We arrived at "the canal" and were a bit suprised by an old 20' skiff with no top. It was in the mid 90's. The tour guide was fabulous and provided a lot of information about the area. Great tour through the canal. However, no water, no food! After a brief ride along the canal, he stopped at a local supplier and we were able to purchase a bottle of water. However, with no cooler on board and 90 degree temperatures, the water did not stay even luke warm very long. After bobbing up and down on the ocean in the blazing sun withouth liquids, we asked to cut the tour short.

We emailed Mr. Soto directly after we returned from our cruise. He was gracious and apologetic indicating he would rectify our problems and refund some portion of the trip. We had emails from him as proof that he said everything was supposed to be included in the tour. He asked us not to post a negative review until he had a chance to make it right with us. So, needless to say, we have heard nothing further for two months now.

We are not much into complaining and have never posted a negative review of any private tour we have taken. However, due to our sunburns, dehydration and poor service, we thought buyers should beware. All of that said, we did hear positive comments on his other tours and the issue we had may be due to the nature of our request to go fishing, which is outside his regular offerings.

That's it for this story. Best wishes to all CC members and booking tours!

Gradyman

• 4 weeks later...

We booked with Eduardo Humphreys(he also has a facebook page with pictures and info..) He was the best! I have 2 small daughters and didn't want to be a burden to a big group. Eduardo set me up with a private tour for just the 4 of us. This was great and I would recommend asking him about it. There was no additional cost and so many benefits. We chose a tour on the Tortugerra canal, then went to a bananna plantation, on to a wonderful fruit stand, then a couple hours at a nice beach. I loved being able to go where I wanted when I wanted, the knowledge of the driver he arranged who was able to be a personal guide through the plantation (we past a huge group from the ship that was fighting for the opportunity to listen to their guide). Great tour, go with confidence the best one I have been on. we went on the Miracle in April 2010... Lucky Tours was great!

We are booked with Okiedokie for our upcoming cruise in January. So far, no problems with communicating with him. The problem I had was on our security end for the computer and not his. I have read both negative/positive but we are going forth with him.

DJ127

• 2 weeks later...

We are signed up with Okie Dokie Tours for January as well. The few bad reviews do make me a bit nervous but since most of the recent reviews seem to be excellent, we went ahead and booked it. We are really excited about our day in Costa Rica and it is what we are most looking forward to on our 15 night Panama Canal Cruise on the Disney Wonder.

• 1 month later...

DO NOT BOOK OKEY DOKEY TOURS IN COSTA RICA. My family and I booked a tour and had corresponded with Charlie via email and had arranged to meet at the cruise port. He never showed and never tried to contact us by email to cancel. My family of six had our day in Costa Rica ruined because we waited for him for about an hour in the heat at the pier. The worst of it was it was too late to book a tour with one of the many vendors available at the pier. Horrible tour operator.

I booked with Charlie in the past and again for this coming Nov. He is quick with the return emails and he is trustworthy. I am sorry that one cruiser did not have good luck, and I cannot say what happened. Charlie takes no upfront $ as a deposit and he risks leaving himself short if you do not show up. Maybe there was a misunderstanding on the times? I continue to use Charlie each time I am in CR and will recommend him to others. If you ahve any questions, email me.

I booked with Charlie in the past and again for this coming Nov. He is quick with the return emails and he is trustworthy. I am sorry that one cruiser did not have good luck, and I cannot say what happened. Charlie takes no upfront $ as a deposit and he risks leaving himself short if you do not show up. Maybe there was a misunderstanding on the times? I continue to use Charlie each time I am in CR and will recommend him to others. If you ahve any questions, email me.

I agree! I had absolutely no problems with Okeydokey Tours. It was one of the best tours we ever took, fun and informative! And there were only us and one other couple... can't beat that for quality time with your tour guide!

• 2 weeks later...
DO NOT BOOK OKEY DOKEY TOURS IN COSTA RICA. My family and I booked a tour and had corresponded with Charlie via email and had arranged to meet at the cruise port. He never showed and never tried to contact us by email to cancel. My family of six had our day in Costa Rica ruined because we waited for him for about an hour in the heat at the pier. The worst of it was it was too late to book a tour with one of the many vendors available at the pier. Horrible tour operator.

This member has made exactly 2 posts, each flaming Charlie Soto.:eek: Frankly I would disregard the posts. Charlie came to us highly regarded and he didn't disappoint when we used him a couple of years ago. We still think that our tour with him was one of the best we have ever taken and will not hesitate to use him again.:)

This member has made exactly 2 posts, each flaming Charlie Soto.:eek: Frankly I would disregard the posts. Charlie came to us highly regarded and he didn't disappoint when we used him a couple of years ago. We still think that our tour with him was one of the best we have ever taken and will not hesitate to use him again.:)

I second that! Okeydokey Tours was awesome!!

???? And I see YOU running after all their posts praising this guy even though you admit you toured with him a "couple years ago">>??

I personally don't hang out on board unless I have a booked cruise for that port or thinking of that port

I am thinking of this port on Freedom but I have to say this doesn't sound good

???? And I see YOU running after all their posts praising this guy even though you admit you toured with him a "couple years ago">>??

I personally don't hang out on board unless I have a booked cruise for that port or thinking of that port

I am thinking of this port on Freedom but I have to say this doesn't sound good

We went with okey dokey tours on our march/april 2010 cruise on the coral princess ,we had a mini van for the six adults we had.we did the zippline and jaco beach.charlie was always quick to reply to emails & i would say it was one of the best day trips we had on this cruise.i would go with charlie again if we return to costa rica.

We used Charlie back in 2007 in Puntarenas and had a very enjoyable day, and as we will be in Limon in April next year, we have booked him again.

His emails are always prompt and he doesn't want any payment upfront so I cannot understand what the fuss is about. If he doesn't show and I am 100% sure that he will, then we would use Plan B and get a taxi to take us where we want to go, at least we are not out of pocket.

I never pay upfront for a tour and have never had a tour go wrong or someone not turn up. Perhaps we have been lucky but we have used private guides for years now and have been satisfied with everyone we have used.

Jennie

• 3 weeks later...
we are going to CR in December with a group of 16 and were interested he OkeyDokey's White Water Rafting Tour...but I don't see any references to that tour. Just wondering if we should stick with the zip line instead?

Any reference where?

Here or on the tour guide site?

• 2 weeks later...

We had arranged a group tour from our Infinity sailing with Charlie. 18 of us in a mini bus that could hold 28. Charlie takes no more than 18 to insure no one feels crowded. We were very comfortable.

Charlie met us at the Puntarenas pier. His through tour included the following:

-We visited and fed monkeys

-stopped at an open air convenience store to sample fresh pineapple and coconut water

-visited a sugarcane juice stand and helped make the juice

-had lunch at a nice open air restaurant on Jaco beach

-visited the beach to take photos (not a very appealing beach btw)

-went to the Pacific Aerial tram and/or zip-lines

-stopped and walked over the Tarcoles river bridge to see the crocodiles (and now we can say we walked over the crocodile river!)

-visited a supermarket to buy local coffee and vanilla.

Charlie is a great guy and really cares about his guests. We hope to visit the Caribbean side of Costa Rica and will definitely contact Charlie at that time to set up a tour.

We had arranged a group tour from our Infinity sailing with Charlie. 18 of us in a mini bus that could hold 28. Charlie takes no more than 18 to insure no one feels crowded. We were very comfortable.

Charlie met us at the Puntarenas pier. His through tour included the following:

-We visited and fed monkeys

-stopped at an open air convenience store to sample fresh pineapple and coconut water

-visited a sugarcane juice stand and helped make the juice

-had lunch at a nice open air restaurant on Jaco beach

-visited the beach to take photos (not a very appealing beach btw)

-went to the Pacific Aerial tram and/or zip-lines

-stopped and walked over the Tarcoles river bridge to see the crocodiles (and now we can say we walked over the crocodile river!)

-visited a supermarket to buy local coffee and vanilla.

Charlie is a great guy and really cares about his guests. We hope to visit the Caribbean side of Costa Rica and will definitely contact Charlie at that time to set up a tour.

Thanks for reporting back. We have a tour booked with Charlie for our upcoming cruise for 16 people. The crocodile man boat tour with 3 in our group going on the zipline. I am pleased to hear that your tour went so good. I will try to remember to report when I return.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife, son, and I arranged to do tour A2 (Zip lining, banana plantation, and canal tour) with Okeydokey tours while in Limon Costa Rica on Nov 24, 2010 with the Carnival Freedom.

Before the cruise I exchanged several e mails with Charlie Soto of Okeydokey Tours and Charlie answered every one of my questions to my complete satisfaction. Upon arrival in Limon we found our tour guide Carlos waiting for us exactly where Charlie told us he would be. We, along with three other cruisers from the Carnival Freedom, set out on our tour.

We had a great time. The canal and banana plantations were interesting but the highlight was zip lining at Cedar Valley Ranch. I was apprehensive, but my concerns vanished when I saw the safety precautions in place.

We had a wonderful day. Carlos, and our driver Statan, looked after us well, made sure we had a good time, and got us back to the ship with plenty of time to spare. Lunch and drinks were included.

Based upon our experience, I would highly recommend Okeydokey Tours to any one looking for a tour in Costa Rica.

Bob

We were in Costa Rica on November 28, 2010. We did the Crocodile Man Boat Tour with Okey Dokey Tours. Our ship the Island Princess docked in Puerto Caldera which is unusual it usually docks in Puntaranes. I was concerned that we would not meet up with Okey Dockey Tours, but I should not have worried. Our guide George and the bus driver were there for us. We had an absolutely wonderful time. One of the highlights was feeding the monkeys. I can not say enough about George our guide. What a great guy. He gave us a lot of history and current information about his country. He took us to a grocery store when we asked. There were 16 of us on this tour. The bus was very comfortable and the air conditioning worked great. They supplied us with sodas, and water and local beer. We saw alot of crocodiles on our river ride. This tour was one of our highlights of our 15 day Panama Canal Cruise. I would highly recommend Okey Dokey Tours. By the way Charlie Soto the owner was always very quick to respond to any email questions I had for him.

Due to your tour review I got concern about okey dokey tours and the fact of their tour guides taking people to feed monkeys as part of a tour (a highlight!!!) so for all the readers of this thread please learn why you shouldn't feed monkeys.

"Ten Reasons Not to Feed the Monkeys

You might find feeding the monkeys (and other wild animals) to be a thrilling experience, but you are not doing the monkeys a favor. In fact, you are actually harming them. Here’s why:

1.Monkeys are highly susceptible to diseases from human hands. They can die from bacteria transferred off your hand that has no ill effect on you.

2.Migration to human-populated areas to be fed increases the risk of dog attacks and road accidents.

3.Irregular feeding leads to an aggressive behavior towards humans and other species.

4.Contrary to the stereotype, bananas are not the preferred food of monkeys in the wild. Bananas, especially those containing pesticides, can be upsetting to the monkeys’ delicate digestive system and cause serious dental problems that can lead to eventual death.

5.Feeding creates a dangerous dependency on humans that diminishes the monkeys’ survival abilities.

6.Feeding interferes with the monkeys’ natural habits and upsets the balance of their lifestyle centered on eating wild fruits, seeds, small animals, and insects.

7.Contact with humans facilitates poaching and the trade in illegal wildlife.

8.Pregnant females who are fed nothing but bananas during their

pregnancy will not give birth to healthy infants. The babies will be malnourished, or never develop to term, and die before birth.

9.Monkeys need to travel an average of 17 kilometers each day to be in good physical condition. If they know that food is available in a particular location, they will not leave that area.

10.Not only do we pass on diseases to animals when we feed them by hand, but they can pass diseases to us as well.

The monkeys do not realize any of this. Now YOU do. Don’t facilitate the extinction of one of Nature’s most amazing creatures for your own pleasure or financial gain."

(from the Eco Preservation Society)

There are wonderful places such as Manuel Antonio national park where you see lots of monkeys and more wildlife which is such a wonderful choice for a tour out of Puntarenas, so there is no big reason to support this kind of business that don't preserver the local environment.

Thanks

Read more at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g309274-i2022-k3629031-Please_do_NOT_feed_the_monkeys_Please-Manuel_Antonio_National_Park_Province_of_Puntarenas.html

I second that! Okeydokey Tours was awesome!!

I actually made one post about Okey Dokey and just because you had a positive experience doesn't mean everyone did and its very important for people who are going to be at one place for a very limited time get to go on a tour with someone who actually shows up. After what I saw at this port, its worth booking with the cruise line for this one and others have also posted negative things about Charlie so just be careful and be prepared that he will not show. Happy travels!:D

I would like to add that all this information is factual and the member who keeps advising others to disregard this is giving you all bad advice. Since you have one day at the port make sure you book with someone who will show up and not have to spend the day disappointed on the boat.

Angieteach,

I am so sorry you did not have a good experience with Okeydokey Tours. Our time with them was great. I do know that sometimes things don't work out for one reason or another. I just want people to know that we were very happy with them. George was such a sweet guy and did everything he could to make us happy. I do not want to sound suspicious but I do find it odd that the only 4 posts you have on Cruise Critic are all negative about one company. I hope that anyone reading this will note that also.

We were in Costa Rica on November 28, 2010. We did the Crocodile Man Boat Tour with Okey Dokey Tours. Our ship the Island Princess docked in Puerto Caldera which is unusual it usually docks in Puntaranes. I was concerned that we would not meet up with Okey Dockey Tours, but I should not have worried. Our guide George and the bus driver were there for us. We had an absolutely wonderful time. One of the highlights was feeding the monkeys. I can not say enough about George our guide. What a great guy. He gave us a lot of history and current information about his country. He took us to a grocery store when we asked. There were 16 of us on this tour. The bus was very comfortable and the air conditioning worked great. They supplied us with sodas, and water and local beer. We saw alot of crocodiles on our river ride. This tour was one of our highlights of our 15 day Panama Canal Cruise. I would highly recommend Okey Dokey Tours. By the way Charlie Soto the owner was always very quick to respond to any email questions I had for him.

Thank you for your positive review about Okey Dokey tours. We are planning to book a tour with them for our upcoming cruise in January.

We have to choose between walking thru the hanging bridges or the crocodile man tour, river cruise. I am leaning towards the river cruise. Did you have any comments from those that took the walk thru the hanging bridges? I am curious as to how long and how strenuous a walk it would be.

Thanks for any other hints or information you can give me about this tour.

Lorraine:)

We had a very poor experience with Okeydokey tours and I strongly advise other Cruise Critics to choose a tour operator that doesn't have such a mixed record.

Since my precruise communication with Charlie went so well, I figured it would be fine. I arranged with him to book a "split tour", where my mother and her husband would do a half day tour in the morning, then return to the ship and look after our son so that we could go and do a half day tour in the afternoon.

When my mother and her husband got off the ship and met Charlie, he had forgotten the arrangement. When he found his book and saw it written in there, he said OK but instead of giving them their private tour, they waited at the pier for an hour while he put them with another two couples. They reminded him they needed to be back by 1pm so we could have our tour and he said they would be (which made no sense since the other couples paid for a full day tour).

They did not go to the cocoa plantation, nor did they see the monkeys. There were a few other items we were told they would do and did not get to. The lunch was not a typical Costa Rican lunch as we were told it would be, and it took over 45 minutes to be served. They of course were not back at the ship in time for us to go out and we missed our opportunity to see Costa Rica.

We were very disappointed in this experience. It was our first bad private tour and I would like to at least caution people before hiring Charlie Soto- surely there are other tour guides available that don't have such a mixed record. The other two couples who toured with my mother and her husband agreed that they also were not happy with the tour.

We hope to have another opportunity to visit Costa Rica in the future so that we can actually visit some of the sights we were told about!

Archived