Need Help Quickly - Leave Tomorrow!

NanaC

Hi There!

I desperately need your help. My husband and I are leaving tomorrow for Vancouver, BC in order to sail this Friday. My question concerns Canadian Customs and prescription medicine. Do we have to take our medicine in the original bottles or can we carry them on in the weekly pill container? I have made copies of the prescriptions, but do not have the pills in the original bottles.........I would appreciate any help you can give me. (I heard that if they are not in the original bottles, they just throw them out! ) No way will that work!

Thanks so much!

NanaC

Can't find the page from the Govt of Canada site, but found this info:

http://www.traveldocs.com/ca/customs.htm

Drugs for Medical Use

Prescription drugs should be clearly identified and should be carried in the original packaging with a label that specifies both what they are and that they are being used under prescription. It is also a good idea to bring a copy of your prescription and a contact number for your doctor.

Diabetics and others who have to bring syringes with them should also carry some evidence of their need for using these.

Because of all we read on this site, we did take original containers. We just didn't want to take a chance. Apparantly they can toss your medications if they so choose. I don't believe it happens often, but apparantly it can.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html#P003

Prescription copies should be fine without original containers.

"If you are importing prescription drugs, make sure they are clearly identified. The drugs should be in the original packaging with a label that specifies what they are and that they are being used under prescription. If this is not possible, carry a copy of the prescription or a letter from your doctor."

We went through Canadian customs on July 12 at Vancouver Airport, and my husband had 4 weekly pill containers full of his 9-per-day pills in his carryon bag. We also brought with us printed copies of the prescriptions for "just in case", but no questions were asked. We sailed through with no problems, even with two liquid prescriptions in their original containers exceeding 2 oz. I did worry about it ahead of time, but could not convince him it was worth it to bring 9 huge bottles (90 day supplies size). None of his were "controlled substances". I think if I had one of those I would bring that original container. Good luck, and I hope your trip is as grand as ours was!

Peggy

I'm glad I read this. We leave for Vancouver Thursday and cruise Saturday. I was not planning to take copies of the prescriptions, just take the pills in their original container. So it sounds like that should be fine (?)

We have been told to bring all perscriptions in their original bottles. I won't take a chance doing anything but. Just bring your weekly pill container and fill them up after you are on the cruise. Better safe than sorry!

This is what I recommend to our patients and follow myself.

1. The med is correctly labeled in case customs has questions.

2. You have the info in case a medical situation arises and someone else needs to know what meds you are taking.

It is always better to travel with the original prescription bottles and copies of your prescriptions. However the likelihood of there being an issue with Canadian customs with the pills being in daily dose containers is somewhere between 0% and .001%. Heck if they had to pat down every person for prescription drugs we would never get thru the lines.

ALL of you have been lucky without the orginal, BUT it is a mandate with customs. At JFK in June, I was behind someone who DID get their drugs tossed. They did, put up big dispute, which got them no where.

All these, one/two experience reports, are just that. A very small overall sample of what may happen. Me, I comply with the law, since I work in corrections and would be locked out of work, with any legal action.

When we flew into Vancouver July 24th, Canadian Customs merely looked at our passports, asked what we were doing in Canada and how long we'd be there, and that was it.

That's the same experience that we had with them yesterday as well.

ALL of you have been lucky without the orginal, BUT it is a mandate with customs. At JFK in June, I was behind someone who DID get their drugs tossed. They did, put up big dispute, which got them no where.

All these, one/two experience reports, are just that. A very small overall sample of what may happen. Me, I comply with the law, since I work in corrections and would be locked out of work, with any legal action.

Wasn't the OP's question about Canadian customs, not US customs?

Here's what I found and posted earlier from Canadian: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4161-eng.html#P003

Original containers are NOT required.

"Prescription drugs

If you are importing prescription drugs, make sure they are clearly identified. The drugs should be in the original packaging with a label that specifies what they are and that they are being used under prescription. If this is not possible, carry a copy of the prescription or a letter from your doctor."

The word "should" is different from the word "must."

I think what Budget Queen was trying to say is this policy is true when you enter any country. Yes the OP asked about coming into Canada, but they are going to have to return to the US and the same issue exists when going through Immigration back into the US. Always take your medications in their original container with prescription attached.

I think what Budget Queen was trying to say is this policy is true when you enter any country. Yes the OP asked about coming into Canada, but they are going to have to return to the US and the same issue exists when going through Immigration back into the US. Always take your medications in their original container with prescription attached.

If the OP is like me, my prescriptions medicine will be gone by the time I return to the US since I take only the daily amounts necessary in my daily containers. No storage containers necessary.

And no, the policy is not true when entering "any" country. That's why I looked up Canada for the OP.

If the OP is like me, my prescriptions medicine will be gone by the time I return to the US since I take only the daily amounts necessary in my daily containers. No storage containers necessary.

And no, the policy is not true when entering "any" country. That's why I looked up Canada for the OP.

Well Inkmahm I could spend my day looking up the various warnings from different country's immigration sites along with airport security warnings (they too could dispose of any unlabelled drug) but you obviously are right and I'm wrong - so have a nice day and good luck in your travels.

That's what I did - although I should've brought 1 more pill just in case, because we were delayed one day getting home.

I DID carry my one prescription medication in its original bottle. I merely reported what the customs agents at the Vancouver airport asked us.

Archived