Is Princess ok for a single guy?

PoseidonGodoftheSea

I'm thinking of booking on the Star Princess next spring but the ship sounds so big. My two previous cruises have been on Holland America which I loved but I'm in the mood for a livelier crowd, will Princess fit the bill? My only other choice for the time of year would be NCL and freestyle cruising isn't for me (I hated as you wish dining on HAL). Thanks.

I'm thinking of booking on the Star Princess next spring but the ship sounds so big. My two previous cruises have been on Holland America which I loved but I'm in the mood for a livelier crowd, will Princess fit the bill? My only other choice for the time of year would be NCL and freestyle cruising isn't for me (I hated as you wish dining on HAL). Thanks.

It depend alot on age. :)

Think you would be alright.

it doesn't take long to find your way around and then the ship doesn't seem so large. it does have the advantage of having a lot of things to do because of its size. you'll have a good time i think. be sure to book early to get the traditional dining you desire.

I wuold think it depends on age, if you are outgoing and dont mind mingling. It also kind of depends on the atmosphere, I would think that you might want more of a 'out there' kind of cruise, and for me that would be RCL, or carnival.

But, either way you will have a great time!

On my cruise on the CB this past March I was not treated well by many staff members at all as a solo, especially in the dining room. Six out of seven nights seated in front of the busy service area and directly in front of the table scrap bucket despite stating that I was willing to wait for abetter table. Comments made by more than one waiter about being alone and "can't find a husband in America?". Complaints were ignored both on the ship and for the most part afterward. Things I would have liked to try ie: Balcony breakfast/dinner or the Chef's Table they refused to spilt and stated that if I wanted to do them I would have to pay double. Sorry as much as I love good food, just can't eat for two. Was not a good trip to say the least.

Last year on our Mex Riviera cruise, we had young widower (18 months since he lost his high school sweetheart wife) at our table (Traditional Late Dining). He had been coerced to taking the cruise by his teen children. After a couple of nights, he relaxed and began telling us stories of his adventures meeting wonderful people. He even invited one of his new friends to join us at our table of 8 for dinner! The waiter had arranged to place an extra chair that evening. So long as you go with an attitude to enjoy you will have a great time.

I'm thinking of booking on the Star Princess next spring but the ship sounds so big.

Thanks.

Very disappointed that Princess treated you so shabbily. I hope you did write a complaint. We always suggest that solos initially choose Traditional Dining because there is much more of a welcome attitude knowing we are all going to be dining companions for the cruise. DW always manages to join in some activity with female solo at our table -- Pilates or evening shows etc. And if the solo meets other interesting persons on board, they can either switch to their dining table or switch to Anytime Dining.

On my cruise on the CB this past March I was not treated well by many staff members at all as a solo, especially in the dining room. Six out of seven nights seated in front of the busy service area and directly in front of the table scrap bucket despite stating that I was willing to wait for abetter table. Comments made by more than one waiter about being alone and "can't find a husband in America?". Complaints were ignored both on the ship and for the most part afterward. Things I would have liked to try ie: Balcony breakfast/dinner or the Chef's Table they refused to spilt and stated that if I wanted to do them I would have to pay double. Sorry as much as I love good food, just can't eat for two. Was not a good trip to say the least.

I just took a Princess cruise solo - mid 40s. It was the Crown, and about six people showed up for the meet and greet. It was a HUGE ship, but there didn't seem to be many solos.

That said.. and I had a great time. I look forward to my next Princess cruise.

Comments made by more than one waiter about being alone and "can't find a husband in America?".

Really?

This happened more than once?

Amazing.

I can't, in my wildest imagination, picture a waiter on ANY cruise line commenting on one's ability to find a husband. I can't even imagine how they would know that you didn't have a husband...I am married and cruise alone or with friends, and go as a single to the dining room quite frequently. My marital status has never been brought up by the waitstaff (which I guess tells me something, but then I am 20 years older than most of them).

I think you might have had extraordinarily bad luck on your cruise.

Really?

This happened more than once?

Amazing.

I can't, in my wildest imagination, picture a waiter on ANY cruise line commenting on one's ability to find a husband. I can't even imagine how they would know that you didn't have a husband...I am married and cruise alone or with friends, and go as a single to the dining room quite frequently. My marital status has never been brought up by the waitstaff (which I guess tells me something, but then I am 20 years older than most of them).

I think you might have had extraordinarily bad luck on your cruise.

Perhaps it was a limp attempt at a joke or being funny, unprofessional and unwelcome comments in any case. The entire trip really seemed like a bad joke that wasn't funny.

My 3 Princess cruises have all provided opportunities I briefly wished I was single again LOL.

:D too funny!

Yeah but remember that usually won't happen again if you are single. :eek:

:D haha this is why these boards are so fun!

I would think it depends on age, if you are outgoing and dont mind mingling. It also kind of depends on the atmosphere, I would think that you might want more of a 'out there' kind of cruise, and for me that would be RCL, or carnival.

But, either way you will have a great time!

it depends on what you're looking for. i have huge family and work demands (like most everyone:( ), and when i travel solo, its about ME time! i don't want more of a party. i do understand what you're saying though, if you're looking for company, you should be able to find it. (as long as you're not desperate or creepy:eek: !

PoseidonGodoftheSea, go for it and have a good time.

Sorry you had that experience. In May no one on CB gave me any problem going solo to the Chef's Table, as teen DS had no interest in it. It was absolutely a non-issue. And certainly no one questioned my marital status on nights when I dined without him.

Archived