What Are The Best Spa Treatments?

rubyrosedreamer

Trying to get my cruise budget going. I know that generally it's cheaper locally for massages and other things but I really want to treat myself well and enjoy a few things I usually wouldn't splurge on. There are so many spa choices on board it's a little overwhelming trying to pick the best/most effective options.

What have been your favorite spa treatments and why?

I enjoyed the Lime and Ginger Scrub a lot!

As far as pricing, watch for specials. Each night when the Capers are delivered to your room, there is also usually a separate sheet of spa specials they will be doing the next day. And the prices are always lower when you're in-port, if you don't plan to go ashore or want to work a spa treatment in before or afterwards.

Also, if you know you want to do a spa treatment, it's worth going to the spa raffle that's held on embarkation day. It's basically an infomercial for all the different services they offer, but at the end they do give out a lot of coupons, so it could be worth it if you get a coupon for something good.

Price and relaxation are my goals with a Scalp Massage. Usually around $30 for 1/2 an hour...this treatment is for anyone who loves getting their head scrubbed (like being shampoo'd at the salon). It doesn't require to disrobe, doesn't take up valuable time with your husband or family and doesn't break the bank. It's also very good for your hair!

I highly recommend the hot stone massage. It is absolutely AMAZING & very relaxing.

I also 2nd what the above poster catgirl said-you should definately go to the spa tour on the first night-they do raffle off alot of great stuff. On my first cruise I went & I won a free hour long massage & facial!!! I was so happy cuz I never win anything!!!!!

Happy cruising!!!!

Carmel

I agree with the poster above. If you enter their raffle on the first day you will probably get called with a two for one deal. We entered and received a two for one full body swedish massage. Then the other couple we went with got the same call the following day.

I think the massages are over priced but I usually get one because I can never find the time or afford one at home and I'm on vacation!

Thanks for the replies so far. Couple questions.....Is the Spa Tour usually before or after muster? It sounds like I don't want to miss an opportunity for a freebie!

Now some novice questions...The Lime and Ginger Scrub, is that done while you get a massage or is it seperate? What exactly do they do during a facial? I have oily skin and it doesn't really need moisturizing but some clarifying skin mask or something similar would be great.

My friends and I did the Ginger Lime scrub and loved it.

First they scrub your whole body down with the salt scrub, then you are rinsed, and lastly you get a full body massage. We did this on the first day, and paid full price...and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was well worth the money.

Next month I plan of getting this service again, only during our stop at Cozumel to take advantage of the in port pricing.

Last year I threw my back out the day before we left for our cruise. I was in so much pain I could hardly stand it until my hot stone massage. The hot stone massage was pure heaven. I will be sure to get another one in 2 months!:D

My friends and I did the Ginger Lime scrub and loved it.

First they scrub your whole body down with the salt scrub, then you are rinsed, and lastly you get a full body massage. We did this on the first day, and paid full price...and I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was well worth the money.

Next month I plan of getting this service again, only during our stop at Cozumel to take advantage of the in port pricing.

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Thanks Cards5440. Knowing ahead what I can expect will help me make the best choices for my need's (and to deal with umm, well, getting naked! :rolleyes: )

No problem Ruby! I can't speak for everyone's experience, but both times I've utilized the spa for a massage- my masseuses were wonderful- very discreet and I felt very comfortable.

Do be aware that at the end of the session they try and talk you into buying the products. Some are pushier than others...a simple no thanks works though. I was surprised the first time that they tried to sell me massage oil- as if I would use it on my own at home :)

I went for one of the specials advertised in the capers. 3 treatments for $60.00. I got a neck/shoulder massage, which was wonderful, a full spa facial, which was not really my thing (but I haven't had a facial anywhere else, so I don't know how it would compare), and paraffin treatment on my hands and feet. I got nearly two hours of hands on treatment, which was pretty amazing for the price.

The girl who did my treatment was lovely, but I could have done without the product push, as she seemed to take it personally when I declined, and argued with me about it. Kind of put a damper on the great afternoon!

Price and relaxation are my goals with a Scalp Massage. Usually around $30 for 1/2 an hour...this treatment is for anyone who loves getting their head scrubbed (like being shampoo'd at the salon). It doesn't require to disrobe, doesn't take up valuable time with your husband or family and doesn't break the bank. It's also very good for your hair!

This is definitely the best deal at the spa. They give you a neck and shoulder massage as well as deep conditioning of your hair. It is an oil they put in your hair, so you will want to do this when you have time to wash your hair later. The longer you leave the oil in, the better.

Yes, the massages are cheaper on the land, but for some reason we do not pamper ourselves like we do on a cruise. I have done both the Lime & Ginger and the Hot Stone, and my hands down favorite was the Hot stone. They also did a lime and ginger scrub before the massage with the hot stones.

They have a spa facial and can customize it to your skin type. Beware the weight loss body wrap. A friend of mine had it done and it was a waste of money.

The spa tours are held in the early afternoon of embarkation and end at the muster drill. When they run port day specials, it is specially priced for the entire day that the ship was in port, even after sailing up until the spa is closed. Those are your best prices. Also, if you have a treatment on embarkation day or night, they usually have some of the best prices because most people do not want to go to the spa the first day or are too tired.

I did the port special one year--hand and foot massage, scalp massage and hot oil treatment, eye treatment. The eye treatment was the best--all the swelling under my eyes came down and everyone said I looked so well rested when I got home and I wasn't it was the eye treatment. I did not like the hot oil treatment in scalp. They leave it in your hair and tell you to wash it out like 3 hours later. My hair was so dried out if you can believe that. I can't wait to get an eye treatment--I am going to ask them what they use this time--I haven't been able to get a spa at home to replicate this treatment and bring swelling down under my eyes.

This is definitely the best deal at the spa. They give you a neck and shoulder massage as well as deep conditioning of your hair. It is an oil they put in your hair, so you will want to do this when you have time to wash your hair later. The longer you leave the oil in, the better.

Yes, the massages are cheaper on the land, but for some reason we do not pamper ourselves like we do on a cruise. I have done both the Lime & Ginger and the Hot Stone, and my hands down favorite was the Hot stone. They also did a lime and ginger scrub before the massage with the hot stones.

I very much agree with you here. Although the price is right and the scenery beautiful in Wennfred's photos, I think I'd rather have the peace and privacy of a room to myself. It seems like everyone has nothing but good to say about the Hot Stone Massage and if it comes with the Lime and Ginger Rub, I don't see how I could be anything but a wet noodle afterwards!!

They have a spa facial and can customize it to your skin type. Beware the weight loss body wrap. A friend of mine had it done and it was a waste of money.

That weight loss wrap just sounds plain silly. I'd have to be in the wrap the whole cruise before I'd be "A New and Improved Me!". I'm betting it's just a temporary water loss.

The spa tours are held in the early afternoon of embarkation and end at the muster drill. When they run port day specials, it is specially priced for the entire day that the ship was in port, even after sailing up until the spa is closed. Those are your best prices. Also, if you have a treatment on embarkation day or night, they usually have some of the best prices because most people do not want to go to the spa the first day or are too tired.

Good to know about what time the tour is, I would have missed it! I was thinking that first night would be perfect too. What a way to start being pampered!

I went for one of the specials advertised in the capers. 3 treatments for $60.00. I got a neck/shoulder massage, which was wonderful, a full spa facial, which was not really my thing (but I haven't had a facial anywhere else, so I don't know how it would compare), and paraffin treatment on my hands and feet. I got nearly two hours of hands on treatment, which was pretty amazing for the price.

The girl who did my treatment was lovely, but I could have done without the product push, as she seemed to take it personally when I declined, and argued with me about it. Kind of put a damper on the great afternoon!

Megnolia may I ask what they did during your facial? That does sound like an amazing price for 2 hrs!

I had the salt scrub also but found it awkward. Only because you had to get up off the table go to a little shower thing then try to get back on the table before they come in. LOL but that is just me. The scrub itself was wonderful!

Just don't make the mistake of thinking everything is going to be full so you need to make an appointment as soon as you get onboard. There will be plenty of specials and space all week (as mentioned in other posts)

Also, the first time I was caught off guard with their selling of the products. I couldn't say no and got charged a lot of money for things I didn't need. My DH took them back....:o So the next time when they started I politely said no thank you and it wasn't an issue.

Does anyone know if Carnival is set up to book spa services before embarkation? They don't seem to advertise it, but many times the CC community has the real scoop. On Princess you can book ahead so I guess that I figured that Carnival may fallow suit since they own Princess.

Thanks.

On the Liberty earlier this year, I entered the raffle the first day. A couple of days into the cruise I got a congratulatory phone call in my stateroom that I had "won" a hot stone massage, but it was explained that it was actually a half priced massage. I'm not completely sure what the price was, but I think I paid $60 for an hour. It was heaven! I'd never had an opportunity to try this before. I was a little miffed at first that my supposed "raffle win" turned out to basically be a discounted rate, but the massage was so wonderful, I didn't stay miffed, that's for sure! I would do it again.

I did the port special one year--hand and foot massage, scalp massage and hot oil treatment, eye treatment. The eye treatment was the best--all the swelling under my eyes came down and everyone said I looked so well rested when I got home and I wasn't it was the eye treatment. I did not like the hot oil treatment in scalp. They leave it in your hair and tell you to wash it out like 3 hours later. My hair was so dried out if you can believe that. I can't wait to get an eye treatment--I am going to ask them what they use this time--I haven't been able to get a spa at home to replicate this treatment and bring swelling down under my eyes.

OHHH now I would love something for my eyes too ;)

Does anyone know if Carnival is set up to book spa services before embarkation? They don't seem to advertise it, but many times the CC community has the real scoop. On Princess you can book ahead so I guess that I figured that Carnival may fallow suit since they own Princess.

Thanks.

Not yet, I think there is a plan to add that soon.

Archived