Viking -- 11/2/2008 Basel to Antwerp

Betty/Avie

Pat,

Will do. We were going to do the trip next year, but since we were able to get a "2 for 1" fare this year, we decided to take the trip during the cooler or colder time! We have scheduled two days in Basel pre-cruise, and one day in Brussels on the return.

This will be our 3d cruise with Viking -- the first two were absolutely wonderful (Netherlands/Belgium and Vienna to Amsterdam), and we're looking forward to this one!

Avie

Betty/Avie Was the 2 for 1 offer you received from Viking something you received in the mail or from their web site? I looked on their web site but could only find Special Promotions for 2009 Thanks happy taveler

Hi,

I learned of the offer from a Viking agent. I called earlier in the year to find out about 2009 cruises (this was prior to the time that the brochure was released to the public), and the agent mentioned the availability of the 2fer. Viking (as well as other lines) do have offers in order to fill up the ships. Yes, I had to pay for the trip at the time I said "OK," but the cruise fare was well worth it!

Avie

My husband and I are on the cruise before yours Antwerp to Basel. We are planning to stay in Basel for 2 days after the cruise. Any suggestion on where to stay?

We are staying in the Best Western. Yes, it is not classified as a "luxury" hotel -- however, we have a Rhine-view room, and it should be okay for the two nights we will be there pre-cruise. Your choices may be wider, as we are going to be in Basel over All Saints Day, which is a national holiday. Our hotel choices were more limited, and, of course, more expensive!!!

Let us know what you find.

I had seen that 2 for 1 Viking offer online several months ago for early fall cruises. 2 weeks ago I couldn't find that deal online or in any email, but then received the offer in the US mail. There seemed to be some dates available for most of their 2008 European cruises. Such a great deal we decided to go for an A cabin. I know the Rhine is not well known for Christmas markets but hope to find one in Cologne.

I bet the specials deals are available if you call Viking.

We are looking at taking the one after yours -- 11/16 -- this would be our 1st river cruise -- the 2 for 1 offer from Viking is almost too good to pass up. We would fly over to Brussels several days early (thru Atlanta) and fly out of Zurich a few days into Dec. Trying to talk DH into it. I've been to Germany 3 times (DH had to go many times on business) & we always took train from Frankfurt to Cologne in Febr. -- so riverboat in mid-late Nov can't be so bad!! -- there will be no leaves on trees, but we can see the castles on hilltops soooo much better.

Betty: are you using Viking transfers at all?

We are looking at taking the one after yours -- 11/16 -- this would be our 1st river cruise -- the 2 for 1 offer from Viking is almost too good to pass up. We would fly over to Brussels several days early (thru Atlanta) and fly out of Zurich a few days into Dec. Trying to talk DH into it. I've been to Germany 3 times (DH had to go many times on business) & we always took train from Frankfurt to Cologne in Febr. -- so riverboat in mid-late Nov can't be so bad!! -- there will be no leaves on trees, but we can see the castles on hilltops soooo much better.

Betty: are you using Viking transfers at all?

At the present time we are not planning on using the Viking transfers. We are flying into Basel a few days prior to boarding the ship. Thus, the transfers are not available. On the return from Brussels, we aren't returning home until the day after we dock. Since we are staying at the hotel at the airport we could use the transportation. However, the hotel recommended that we just take a taxi from the port. The cost (we are told) is 110 euros maximum. Not much different from the Viking transfers ($100/person), but the convenience seems to be better by using the taxi (no wrestling the luggage from the bus into the terminal!).

This is our 3d riverboat trip in Europe with Viking , and we're sure you will have a fabulous time. From our limited experience, fellow passengers are a treat, the scenery is fantastic, the food aboard is very good, and the tours in the towns/cities is tops! We ate lunch a few times in the towns, and that was also a treat! Be sure to bring layers! The weather will probably be coolish (30's and 40's), and some rain is to be expected. We did the Vienna to Amsterdam trip last October/November and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Avie

Betty, can you tell me how much Viking charges on board for draft beer? for bottled still water? for cocktails? for soft drinks? Is the bar open all day? What drinks are included with meals?

I was looking at the Silver Spirits package today and trying to decide if it's a good deal or not.

Have you ever booked this package of the non-alcoholic drink package?

Oh yes forgot to tell you we're booked on Nov 16 Antwerp to Basel....

Betty, can you tell me how much Viking charges on board for draft beer? for bottled still water? for cocktails? for soft drinks? Is the bar open all day? What drinks are included with meals?

I was looking at the Silver Spirits package today and trying to decide if it's a good deal or not.

Have you ever booked this package of the non-alcoholic drink package?

Oh yes forgot to tell you we're booked on Nov 16 Antwerp to Basel....

Good morning,

We did not purchase the package on our last viking trip. Actually, I was not impressed by the entire selection, and felt that I would prefer purchasing wine and/or drinks from the regular list. Further, (at least as my foggy brain can recall) the package had to be purchased on a cabin basis; thus, each occupant was required to purchase the package. To the best of my memory, the drinks at the bar were normal "bar" prices. But you can wait until you get on the ship to decide. At that time, you can look at the wine package (in my view a "profit center"), compare the selections with the regular wine list, look at the bar list, and then make a decision.

I did bring a bottle of my favorite vodka with me. And I'll probably do the same this year (or substitute a single malt scotch!). Also, there were some wonderful wines or beers available in many of the towns we visited, and yes, they can be brought aboard. There is a reasonable corkage charge if you wish to bring your own wine into the dining room.

We did not have any complimentary wine, beer, or soft drinks in the dining room.

Hope this rambling helps.

Avie

Thanks for that info.

Do you have any information about exact timing of docking at various cities -- how early? how long? etc. I like to know the comings & goings.

Sorry, We don't have that info. All we have is the general timeframe provided in the itineraries. Some stops are overnight; thus, you can spend time in the town/city during the evening, etc. Even if you take the tours, there is usually time to explore on our own following the tour. (That's when I visit the wine shops!) The guides (as well as the cruise director) are most helpful in locating places to go, restaurants, etc.

You may possibly get detailed information from Viking by calling.

Good luck.

Avie

Betty/Avie -- how far before your Viking cruise do you get documents in the mail?

Despite the fact we've cruised on major lines 20 times, I feel like a "newbie" about this type cruise.

I sent my TA about 7 questions to ask of Viking -- maybe she can get some info out of them. Viking is a very new offering of her company, so it will help her as well as me.

What do you recommend that Mike & I do in Amsterdam, that Viking tour will not be doing?? Does Viking do Anne Frank house? Have you gone there?

Betty/Avie -- how far before your Viking cruise do you get documents in the mail?

Despite the fact we've cruised on major lines 20 times, I feel like a "newbie" about this type cruise.

I sent my TA about 7 questions to ask of Viking -- maybe she can get some info out of them. Viking is a very new offering of her company, so it will help her as well as me.

What do you recommend that Mike & I do in Amsterdam, that Viking tour will not be doing?? Does Viking do Anne Frank house? Have you gone there?

I don't believe Viking does the Ann Frank House. (At least, on the trips we have been on!) We plan to go there this trip. The lines can be quite long. But since we are all going at the low season, tourists are fewer, and the line will be shorter!!! I highly recommend the Van Gough museum. It's very small, but wonderful! I haven't checked the interenet to see what exhibitions are goiong to be there. But a few years ago we lucked out and were able to get tickets to see the Van Gough/Gaugin exhibit. One of the best exhibits we have viewed. And even though it was going on tour, it was not going to be in our home port of Washington, DC. And we have eaten at a few restaurants (my hobby). Public transportation in the city is excellent. We have found the museum tours given by the ship to be rather hurried. We are in to that kind of thing, and we like to linger! In fact, we have done a few museums, etc. that were on the itinerary by ourselves as well as the tour with the ship.

Our docs usually arrive about 3 weeks prior to the beginning of the cruise. I guess we'll be getting them this week. Usually, Viking will send the docs to your TA, and they will then be forwarded to you.

Avie

Archived