Airlines???Getting there on time to board

Howasaur

What I totally fail to understand is WHY anyone would put out all the money for a cruise, take days off, make arrangements for everything from the cat/dog care to mail pick up and want to arrive to your ship the day of embarkation? Why not plan to go a day ahead anyway. You never know what day you will go in your garage and your car will not start. Airlines do not have extra planes just lying around to take you to your destination if a plane has mechinical difficulties. Doesn't it make PLAIN COMMON SENSE to pay that little extra, stay over the night before your cruise departs? I've been on several cruises and I always take time to visit the city I'm flying into the day before and make it a part of my vacation. Just makes plain common sense to me.

What I totally fail to understand is WHY anyone would put out all the money for a cruise, take days off, make arrangements for everything from the cat/dog care to mail pick up and want to arrive to your ship the day of embarkation? Why not plan to go a day ahead anyway. You never know what day you will go in your garage and your car will not start. Airlines do not have extra planes just lying around to take you to your destination if a plane has mechinical difficulties. Doesn't it make PLAIN COMMON SENSE to pay that little extra, stay over the night before your cruise departs? I've been on several cruises and I always take time to visit the city I'm flying into the day before and make it a part of my vacation. Just makes plain common sense to me.

While I'd never fly in the day of my cruise, not everyone has that option. When we were first married, I worked for a company that required us to select our vacation days a year in advance (we could only take one week at a time), and we did not have the option of tacking an extra day on before or even after my allotted vacation time. Maybe the OP is in this position. Then the only option for going a day in advance would be to take a late-evening flight...if there is one. I couldn't even get off work 15 minutes early prior to my vacation.

So while I think it's a good idea to fly in a day ahead of time, I do know that not everyone has the luxury of doing this. So what may be plain common sense to you...may not be a viable option for the OP. If the OP can get off a day in advance, then by all means, I'd fly in a day in advance.

We have a story like many of the others. We flew in the day of embarkation ONCE. Learned our lesson. Have not done it since and will never do it again. Will ALWAYS travel to the port at least one day prior to embarkation. It's not worth the stress, for me. By the way, we did make the cruise in question, but were nervous wrecks when we got there. ---- Penny

Like many others, we always fly in a day or two early. However, if you are like my parents who often fly in the same day (because they don't want to pay for the hotel or don't have the time off), the following are our family's mandatory requirements when flying in same-day. Make sure:

1. You get a direct flight--no connections. Fewer flight segments=lower risk.

2. To take the first flight out in the morning and arrive at the port by no later than noon.

3. There are at least 3-5 later direct flights that will arrive in the destination city before mid-afternoon the day of the cruise's departure. This way, if your first flight is delayed or cancelled, you have some chance to go standby on a later flight.

4. The port is a short distance from the destination airport (30 minutes or less).

Of course most of the above is generally only possible if you live near a major airport or hub that is less than 1,000 miles from your destination city/port. We're lucky because, in the Washington DC area, there are TONS of regular and direct flights to MCO, FLL or MIA.

I agree with WeLoveCruisin...I fly every week and it has been horrible the past six months and gets worse every week. In the future I will always allow 2 DAYS prior to a cruise. I would estimate that 60% of my recent flights (last 2 months) were either cancelled or significantly delayed due to mechanicals. I typically get booked on the next flight due to my flying status but most flights are totally full. So, chances of getting out on the next flight are minimal, at best.

And, if you are within 8 or 12 hours; simplify life and drive.

Caught the Maasdam out of Ft Lauderdale last November and came in a day early and stayed at the Hampton Inn by the airport and they were great, picked us up, took us out that night to eat and got us to the pier in plenty of time. So far our flight for this years cruise has changed once causing us to stay an extra day, believe me its worth coming in a day early nowadays.

• 6 months later...
While I'd never fly in the day of my cruise, not everyone has that option. When we were first married, I worked for a company that required us to select our vacation days a year in advance (we could only take one week at a time), and we did not have the option of tacking an extra day on before or even after my allotted vacation time. Maybe the OP is in this position. Then the only option for going a day in advance would be to take a late-evening flight...if there is one. I couldn't even get off work 15 minutes early prior to my vacation.

So while I think it's a good idea to fly in a day ahead of time, I do know that not everyone has the luxury of doing this. So what may be plain common sense to you...may not be a viable option for the OP. If the OP can get off a day in advance, then by all means, I'd fly in a day in advance.

Did not intend to offend. I work for a major air carrier, and if I had just $1 for every passenger I've dealt with that has missed their embarkation and had to catch up with the ship at the first port of call, I could pay for all of my cruises that I've ever taken. It's sad when you see someone that has saved and paid this money, some people are so distressed, they just turn around and go back home. If one doesn't have an extra day, maybe the cruise could be booked within the frame of time they have off, to include an extra day at the port. I've seen children crying, upset parents, all because of weather delays, air traffic control delays, which both are beyond the air carriers control, then there are those that have mechanical delays, which the airlines do what they can, but sometimes your flight may be cancelled then they are squeezing you onto another carrier or another flight that is already full. There are just so many factors. I wish anyone the very best traveling on cruise day. Many people make it with no problem, I just wouldn't even want to begin my vacation with that type of stress. Wishing all the best..........

Did not intend to offend. I work for a major air carrier, and if I had just $1 for every passenger I've dealt with that has missed their embarkation and had to catch up with the ship at the first port of call, I could pay for all of my cruises that I've ever taken. It's sad when you see someone that has saved and paid this money, some people are so distressed, they just turn around and go back home. If one doesn't have an extra day, maybe the cruise could be booked within the frame of time they have off, to include an extra day at the port. I've seen children crying, upset parents, all because of weather delays, air traffic control delays, which both are beyond the air carriers control, then there are those that have mechanical delays, which the airlines do what they can, but sometimes your flight may be cancelled then they are squeezing you onto another carrier or another flight that is already full. There are just so many factors. I wish anyone the very best traveling on cruise day. Many people make it with no problem, I just wouldn't even want to begin my vacation with that type of stress. Wishing all the best..........

You didn't offend me. I'm just saying that not everyone has the flexibility to fly in a day ahead of time. I'm sure you've seen it all ... but that doesn't change the facts that not everyone can make an extra day work. I wouldn't cruise without going in two days ahead of time, but that's me. I can do this, others can't. And I understand that.

Edited to add...

I had to go back and read your post (the I responded to). I think the caps in your post were what I was responding to. "Common sense? Why?" Well, not everyone has flexibility to do this, and saying they don't have common sense is a little much. I wish them all well, and I am sure there are people who could fly in early and don't, but I am also sure there are people who just don't have that option.

You didn't offend me, but you may have offended someone who is in the position I am talking about when you tossed in the "why" and "common sense" part.

What I totally fail to understand is WHY anyone would put out all the money for a cruise, take days off, make arrangements for everything from the cat/dog care to mail pick up and want to arrive to your ship the day of embarkation? Why not plan to go a day ahead anyway. You never know what day you will go in your garage and your car will not start. Airlines do not have extra planes just lying around to take you to your destination if a plane has mechinical difficulties. Doesn't it make PLAIN COMMON SENSE to pay that little extra, stay over the night before your cruise departs? I've been on several cruises and I always take time to visit the city I'm flying into the day before and make it a part of my vacation. Just makes plain common sense to me

We have done it both ways. Two years ago at the airport weather was good, trafic seemed normal, and they announced our plane was overhead but couldn't land for a while!:eek: We made the ship during the drill.:D

Last year we embarked in Lisbon and wanted 2 or 3 days to see the city. We went in 2 days in advance and were so tired we slept almost the whole day. Transocean and other international flights seem to have deteriorated more than domestic.:eek:

We did just return from an 18 day transatlantic where because of work had to fly in the same day. The choice for us was fly same day, cancel the cruise or lose the job.

I agree that in the best of all worlds it is better to fly in one (or two) days early, but judging by the number of people who successfully get to the ship when flying in the same day I think that to say that it is completely foolish to fly in same day puts too much fear into people who have no choice.

We flew out of Newark in March--when I was asking questions (about important stuff like Total Wine and Publix) I would always get the comment that only a fool would risk flying in same day.

I wish people would be a little more understanding and offer positive advice and not just the "fly in at least a day early" line.

For the OP--that flight was indeed too late.

For others who MUST fly in early--pick the first flight of the day, pick a non-stop if possible, pick a different airport that has a non-stop if possible.

We are pretty close to Philly--but booking thru HAL (great price compared to DIY) we could not get a non-stop, so we drove a bit further to Newark. The major disadvantage was we were tired and got to the dock very early. We usually don't board until mid-afternoon so we did not like not having the rooms ready.

We did just return from an 18 day transatlantic where because of work had to fly in the same day. The choice for us was fly same day, cancel the cruise or lose the job.

I agree that in the best of all worlds it is better to fly in one (or two) days early, but judging by the number of people who successfully get to the ship when flying in the same day I think that to say that it is completely foolish to fly in same day puts too much fear into people who have no choice.

We flew out of Newark in March--when I was asking questions (about important stuff like Total Wine and Publix) I would always get the comment that only a fool would risk flying in same day.

I wish people would be a little more understanding and offer positive advice and not just the "fly in at least a day early" line.

For the OP--that flight was indeed too late.

For others who MUST fly in early--pick the first flight of the day, pick a non-stop if possible, pick a different airport that has a non-stop if possible.

We are pretty close to Philly--but booking thru HAL (great price compared to DIY) we could not get a non-stop, so we drove a bit further to Newark. The major disadvantage was we were tired and got to the dock very early. We usually don't board until mid-afternoon so we did not like not having the rooms ready.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my original post.

I hope you had a wonderful cruise! :)

Again, no intent to offend ANYONE. Only stating what I've seen, and the tears and upset families I've dealt with. To each his own. I hope everyone makes their cruise and do it in whatever way fits their schedule. Many people do not understand the innerworkings of the airlines and feel if their plane is on mechnical, there is another one just sitting around to take them to their port. Sure, some people can't travel ahead of time, however, I usually find that many people don't think to go ahead.....as the storms come and the planes go on mechanicals and the Air Traffic Control delays flights. Only offering advice from the other side. I hope it works out well for Everyone.

If I am booking my own air (which I usually do - I prefer to know my schedule & choose my seats) I always go at least one day before. If I am going to a new port (like Venice Italy) then I go at least two days before so I can enjoy the city and explore before we leave. If you are going to Florida, there should be some good deals in hotels. I would definitely go the day before, try to arrive in the late afternoon, evening. Even go on Price line to get a bargain hotel room if you want. We are in a recession so prices should be down. You will be rested and relaxed to enjoy your cruise. why go in panic mode, tired, jet lagged, worn out and hope you make the ship? NOt worth it. part of the trip is the enjoyment of getting on the ship.:p

Like many others, we always fly in a day or two early. However, if you are like my parents who often fly in the same day (because they don't want to pay for the hotel or don't have the time off), the following are our family's mandatory requirements when flying in same-day. Make sure:

1. You get a direct flight--no connections. Fewer flight segments=lower risk.

2. To take the first flight out in the morning and arrive at the port by no later than noon.

3. There are at least 3-5 later direct flights that will arrive in the destination city before mid-afternoon the day of the cruise's departure. This way, if your first flight is delayed or cancelled, you have some chance to go standby on a later flight.

4. The port is a short distance from the destination airport (30 minutes or less).

Of course most of the above is generally only possible if you live near a major airport or hub that is less than 1,000 miles from your destination city/port. We're lucky because, in the Washington DC area, there are TONS of regular and direct flights to MCO, FLL or MIA.

I completely agree with this approach if you have to fly day of. A couple of years ago I went on a Mexican Riviera cruise out of LA and flew from Seattle the day of. I would have liked to have been on the first flight out that AM, but we were on the second - no layover, landed before noon, about 30 minutes to the port from the airport. There were probably 4-6 flights that left later that would have gotten us there on time as well. Honestly, the most stressful time was in the taxi trying to get our way to our ship!

That being said, I am on a cruise sailing out of Rome this summer... and all of us are getting there at least 2 days early (I've got 3 I think) in order to a) see some of Rome before we leave, b) get over that initial jetlag since we have a pretty port intensive cruise and c) not worry about missing that one trans-Atlantic flight per day. But with a 10 day cruise and the travel time, we're all pretty lucky we can take those extra days I think.

In Sept. I could very easily fly in to San Diego the day the ship departs, I'm only in Phoenix and there are 20 flights a day and it's less than an hour flight. I'm still flying in a day early - flights can get cancelled, strikes can happen, and bad weather, terrorism, etc.. can shut entire airports. Why take the chance?

Lydia

Not to mention fog !!! actually shutting down the Phoenix airport, no planes leaving/arriving for a couple hours when we flew to San Diego in December. We had a same day early flight out (it's only an hour flight!) and two hours after our original flight time, the fog lifted. We did make the ship, but DH said never again, we'll fly in the day before and enjoy SD before we sail.

Not to mention fog !!! actually shutting down the Phoenix airport, no planes leaving/arriving for a couple hours when we flew to San Diego in December. We had a same day early flight out (it's only an hour flight!) and two hours after our original flight time, the fog lifted. We did make the ship, but DH said never again, we'll fly in the day before and enjoy SD before we sail.

Please don't mention fog!:eek:

I have been severely inconvenienced several times in South Texas, and it's nowhere near as foggy as Southern California.:(

Fog in Phoenix? And, bad enough to shut down Sky Harbor! That must have been a sight to behold. I remember it got to 125 one summer I lived there and they shut the airport down. First heat now fog...next up will be that awful brown haze (I used to call it smaze ;) ) causes flight delays. What are the friendly people in Phoenix to do?

Diane

Hubby and I have missed the boat twice flying out of Maine: We now choose to fly the day before: Missing half a cruise even though we were in excellant quarters waiting for our ship to "catch up" with us, isn't my idea of enjoyment: We did learn having our cruise insurance is worth every penny. We always buy through our TA and book through our TA: She was most helpful both times:

Well, my husband is a cop and he's full of "PLAIN COMMON SENSE." What he, and his major metropolitan department, are not so full of is time off. While it sounds great to arrive a day early it's not always feasible. I tend to give people credit for having common sense even when they do something I may not necessarily agree with. There are lots of people who have jobs and lives which don't permit that extra day.

I've lived in the Phoenix area 30 years and it only hit 125 degrees once. The planes were grounded because the charts they use (for whatever) only went up to 120 degrees. I'm sure they fixed them!

I was there, too. I remember they said something about not knowing how the planes would react in 125 degrees. I also remember it getting to 122 a few times, but that didn't close the airport. Isn't it crazy that 118 :eek: isn't an uncommon temp in the summer?!? I also remember listening to the weather and hearing them say the low would be 110 that night. Ahhh...but it's a dry heat...LOL!!! ;):D

Diane

Well, my husband is a cop and he's full of "PLAIN COMMON SENSE." What he, and his major metropolitan department, are not so full of is time off. While it sounds great to arrive a day early it's not always feasible. I tend to give people credit for having common sense even when they do something I may not necessarily agree with. There are lots of people who have jobs and lives which don't permit that extra day.

Again, there was no intent to offend, to All those offended, and there seem to be quiet a few, that was not the intent of the post.......:(

Archived