Airlines???Getting there on time to board

Howasaur

:confused: It getting hard to book a flight to arrive on the day a cruise is leaving. I checked 3 airlines and the earliest same day flight I would arrive at Ft.

Lauderdale, at 14:45 (02.45PM) not leaving much room for flight delays and such. So it appears a lot of cruises lines are suggesting you arrive a day early to no problems occur on boarding day. I have had no problems in the passed but with the fuel problems and airlines cutting back, it now appears to be a issue. Has anyone else notice this?.

:confused: It getting hard to book a flight to arrive on the day a cruise is leaving. I checked 3 airlines and the earliest same day flight I would arrive at Ft.

Lauderdale, at 14:45 (02.45PM) not leaving much room for flight delays and such. So it appears a lot of cruises lines are suggesting you arrive a day early to no problems occur on boarding day. I have had no problems in the passed but with the fuel problems and airlines cutting back, it now appears to be a issue. Has anyone else notice this?.

When flying from the Great White North in winter to take a cruise, flying in the day before is almost a necessity. The first thing that comes to mind is airports closed due to blizzards but you also want to allow for mechanical delays or for lost luggage to catch up with you before your cruise. Even if the weather is OK in Calgary, you probably have to connect through TO and that is sometimes closed due to storms.

For our cruise to the Baltic next summer we are flying in two days early to allow time to adjust to the time change and to allow our luggage to catch up with us if it decides to take another route.

Go early and relax!!

A 2:45 arrival is way too late to catch a cruise, especially with the new boarding rules, that's if everything goes right. Even before the cutbacks, coming from so far away you would've had issues finding a flight that leaves day of in Alberta and arrives in time for sailing out of Florida (due to distance and time changes). Coming from the West Coast of the US for example, the only options in the past have usually either been to fly in a day in advance or take a red eye in.

In the past this would have seemed a gamble, especially from Alberta. We won't even try it coming from TN to FLL.

These days it's playing with a loaded gun. And you could blow the first couple of days right off your cruise. :eek:

Get in a day early and "cruise" around on the water taxi.

I'm in the same boat as you being from Calgary. I rolled the dice countless times flying the red eye or coming in the same day. After a while I decided I wasn't going to roll the dice anymore...it's too risky. The last time a flew into Florida it was to be the day before the cruise. I made a flight early from Calgary to Denver....but the Denver to Ft.Lauderdale was delayed due to mechanical problems. It looked like it was going to be cancelled and they could not get me on another flight. That totally freaked me out! They did get the flight off the ground several hours late but it makes me wonder if even 1 day ahead is enough now.

I was scheduled to fly out of Anchorage last Saturday night. The plane had a mechanical problem that required a part, and that part didn't arrive until the next day! We left Anchorage almost 24 hours later, and got out just in time - due to volcanic ash cancelling many flights into and out of Alaska's airports! My flight arrived in Dallas more or less on time, but my next flight to Chicago also had mechanical problems! After sitting on the plane for 90 minutes, the pilot declared the plane out of service, and we had to wait until another plane was available to leave - 3.5 hours later. I missed my 3rd flight and had to wait 3.5 hours longer for the next flight. Granted, this happened at the end of my trip - but it could've just as easily been at the beginning. For those folks flying to Anchorage on Monday to begin their cruises - some "missed the boat"!

It's always wise to arrive a day early for a cruise. These days with airline cutbacks, mechanical problems, air traffic control delays, labor problems, etc.

you just can't count on a flight arriving when it is scheduled any more.

David

We always fly in two days prior and start our vacation early. I know that isn't possible for everyone but if you can, it's nice to not have the stress of airline not getting you there on time and the bonus is to be in vacation mode when you board.

Back in the early days we always flew in same day if sailing from Fla, Philly is a hub with tons of flights. Then we had extra time and started doing the fly in early routine--the last few cruises were inthe Med so we really enjoyed time to explore.

So yes--I agree that it is safest, less stressful and just best to fly in early.

We just booked an 18 day in March, with a day in Rome at the end and the cost of getting a hotel in Ft Laud during spring break we are once again joining the fly in the same day crowd.

We're booked on a 6:30 flight--knowing that there are 6-8 other flights from that airport that will get us there on time--all non-stops.

I would at least look for a red eye to get in early--and be sure to have trip insurance if you need to play catch up.

I always arrive at least 1 day early - you don't want to miss the ship! It just isn't worth the risk, and when leaving from a US port and returing to the same one - you're really in a bad situation because if you miss the ship you have to pay a fine to the US government to board elsewhere and catch up with the ship, not to mention the cost of catching up with the ship (even if you HAVE insurance, you have to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed). Why take that chance and spoil part of your vacation?

In Sept. I could very easily fly in to San Diego the day the ship departs, I'm only in Phoenix and there are 20 flights a day and it's less than an hour flight. I'm still flying in a day early - flights can get cancelled, strikes can happen, and bad weather, terrorism, etc.. can shut entire airports. Why take the chance?

A good rule of thumb (for me anyway) - if your flight time is 11 hours or less arrive at least 1 day early - if it's more than 11 hours, make it a minimum of 2 days early.

Lydia

We left the day of on our cruise last Nov. because we were travelling with a group and most didn't want to take off work the extra day. We flew from VA to San Juan and we were fortunate that all went off on time - HOWEVER - I would not risk it again. I was too stressed out ahead of time worrying about it. Next cruise we leave from Ft. Lauderdale and we have already planned to fly out a day ahead of time. We'll spend the night and be relaxed when we board. If something goes wrong we have a whole day to find an alternative. To me I'd rather spend the extra money than worry.

Last week I was in Bellingham Airport (small regional) booked BLI to Seattle then on to Reno. The plane sent from Sea to BLI had maintainance issues, and was late, many people on that flight were booked thru to Milwaukee. Don't know if they made it or not, they were told to make a run for it.......

Second leg, maintainance issues again. This time we were moved to a new gate and a different plane. Arrived at the hotel, and wouldn't you know it........ maintainance issues with my room.. But they upgraded me to a suite:D :D

We always go a day ahead, and after that flight I think I will follow KK's advice and probably go at least 2 days if I'm doing coast to coast.

My flight was on a Tuesday and there many announcements that day about flight delays, and the lines at the Customer Service counter were huge. Go early, you don't need a stressful start to your vacation.

My husband has to fly from the East Coast to the West Coast probably twice a year. He also travels shorter distances throughout the year. Lately, the flight delays have gotten worse. The rule of thumb he follows is if he can drive there in 8 or even 9 hours it's not worth flying! We have a cruise on the 24th out of Seattle. We are actually leaving tomorrow, driving to Baltimore from near Pittsburgh staying overnight and flying out of BMI. BMI has direct flights to Seattle, Pittsburgh doesn't, and the price was right (under $300 per ticket for 7 of us) so it was worth the extra 3 1/2 hours drive. We won't have to worry about connections and surely getting there a week early we shouldn't have to worry about missing the boat! BTW we are travelling down a week early just to spend extra time sightseeing in Seattle with our friends and children before taking the cruise. Can't wait!

diane

• 1 month later...

I fly on business nearly every week, and have done so for the past 15 years or so. I can tell you, things have changed dramatically, even from only a year ago.

There are less and less flights, more last minute changes and delays. To add to that, the planes are always full. That means if something happens to your flight, even if (and that's a big if) there is another flight to get you there reasonably close to your originally scheduled time, chances are there wont be a seat for you available on it.

We've done a lot of cruises, and have somehow always managed with our busy work schedules to make it work, even if it meant in the past flying on embarkation day. Nowadays, that isnt an option, and we consider it mandatory to go in the day before (or sooner if we can).

The other thing thing we do, even when going in a day before, is to never take the last flight of the day. It's just too risky to not leave options open.

Another travel problem lurking on the horizon will be the availability of airline seats if your flight to your cruise ship is cancelled.

The layoffs and mothballing of aircraft has barely begun. When it is in full effect, every aircraft to your destination will probably be full.

If a flight is cancelled,there wont be any seats on subsequent flights to get us to our destination for who knows how long.

Rich

I work for a regional airline and fly stand by to my cruise ports. I would never fly in the day of departure. Like so many others stated, your aircraft could be stuck or playing catch up in another city. Your crew could be coming in on a late inbound. The aircraft had to reroute due to weather in it's flight path,maintance issues,etc

If you are flying in the winter months and coming from Canada, deicing also plays a big factor.

A few years back my family had a reunion on a cruiseship and everyone purchased the cruise air. The cruiseline had them flying in the day of sailing and had half of my family flying into Fort Lauderdale and the other half into Miami (the ship was sailing out of Miami). My parents were on the Fort Lauderdale flight. There was about 15 to 20 other people with very tight connections which cause them to arrive at the ship when the drill was about to start. Mind you my mother was in a panic because her sister and brothers were already on the boat waiting for them. This year when my parents cruise, they flew in a day ahead.

Just find a nice hotel, arrive a day early and then get up on sailing day stress free!!!

Happy sailing!!

Archived