Aft Cabins

tania2

Booked Explorer of the Seas in a Junior Suite on Deck 6 facing the aft of the ship. The travel agent tried to convince us that these staterooms are considered the most requested because passengers prefer the added privacy and views of the water but we are wondering if there will be added vibrations and extra noise. Is is true that the balconies are slightly larger? Any thoughts?

You did get one of the most highly coveted cabins on a ship - for some people, aft is the only way to go! I have an aft booked on my 2009 cruise and am looking forward to the privacy, extra balcony space and unlimited, unobstructed views.

Booked Explorer of the Seas in a Junior Suite on Deck 6 facing the aft of the ship. The travel agent tried to convince us that these staterooms are considered the most requested because passengers prefer the added privacy and views of the water but we are wondering if there will be added vibrations and extra noise. Is is true that the balconies are slightly larger? Any thoughts?

Aft facing balconies on the Voyager and Freedom class have one problem, there is a lot of structure between you and the sea, especially on deck six (the higher you are the less structure there is). Most ships don't have any structure beyond the aft balconies. So on the Voyager and Freedom ships I don't know how popular the aft balconies are. On other ships the aft balconies are highly coveted.

I have had mid ship balconies, aft facing balconies and even one forward facing balcony, and I have not noticed any additional vibrations in the aft (or forward) vs. the middle.

Again, most ships do have larger balconies in the rear. However, because of the extra structure on the Voyager and Freedom class ships, there are only a few balconies that are larger. I believe that these balconies are on deck ten (not counting the larger balconies attached to the RFS).

This is the rear of the Voyager of the Seas (a sister to the Explorer) ...

Voyageraft.jpg

This is the rear of the Explorer of the Seas (the boxes simply identify the RFS cabins) ...

Exploreraft.jpg

This is what it looks like from deck seven of the Freedom of the Seas ...

IMG_1998.jpg

This is the aft of the Vision OTS (as you can see, no structure between the rear facing balconies and the sea) ...

DSCN1281.jpg

This is what the view looks like without the structure in the back. From the Carnival Pride ...

WakefromPride6260.jpg

And from the Carnival Glory ...

Balcony-aftviewII.jpg

I wouldn't be turning down any aft balcony myself. Superstructure or not.

Here's a view from a deck 6 aft balcony on Voyager.

2644397598_302d8610e6_o.jpg

Soak it up and enjoy. You'll have a lot less traffic outside your door late at night with one of these as well, which is great if you like to be up with sun for your next port of call.

I got spoiled on Vision of the Seas aft. It's FABULOUS!!

I had a second dose on Grandeur of the Seas. Again even better!!

I do know that the Voyager class ships have the super structure, but I have an aft booked on Explorer in January!

The hallways are quiet,the views are relaxing and you walk a few extra steps so you feel better for all the great food you've eaten!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Stephanie :cool:

Deck 6 Stern, Voyager Class, Water view? Not so.

Here is the water view:

aft_6JS_061216_002-vi.jpg

aft_6JS_061216_003-vi.jpg

aft_6JS_061216_004-vi.jpg

However, because of the extra structure on the Voyager and Freedom class ships, there are only a few balconies that are larger. I believe that these balconies are on deck ten (not counting the larger balconies attached to the RFS).

The balconies on deck 6 and deck 7 on the Voyager and Freedom class are still huge. In fact 7688 and 7388 for example have some of the largest balconies on the ship. The issue with deck 6 and deck 7 is the superstructure. We felt the much, much larger balcony we had on deck 7 on Voyager was worth the little bit of superstructure (in our opinion). For other people, the superstructure bothers them.

Also, the only ship where I've felt a vibration was on Rhapsody, and the vibration was noticeable for half the ship - the only place where it wasn't noticeable was in the forward part of the ship.

While I love aft balcony cabins, I would be wary of deck 6 on the Voyager class. The balcony overlooks a large open deck as shown on Darkwolfe's photo link. I'd go for deck 7 upwards despite the structures

Thank you for posting those pictures. I have booked a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas March 1st 2009 and we booked an aft balcony on deck 9. We were a bit worried of how much the super structure of the ship would bother us or obstruct our views. The pictures that you have added show that it will be great. I am looking forward to it even more now. We were also told by RCCL that those cabins go fast. I am still surprised that there is one still left, by how they talked it up over the phone.

While I love aft balcony cabins, I would be wary of deck 6 on the Voyager class. The balcony overlooks a large open deck as shown on Darkwolfe's photo link. I'd go for deck 7 upwards despite the structures

deck six has that big area in front of you that is quite a ways from the water. DW and I usually go for deck 7 or higher, but aft is still great. See if your travel agent can get you up one deck at least, if not, Im sure you wll still enjoy it.

Thank you for posting those pictures. I have booked a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas March 1st 2009 and we booked an aft balcony on deck 9. We were a bit worried of how much the super structure of the ship would bother us or obstruct our views. The pictures that you have added show that it will be great. I am looking forward to it even more now. We were also told by RCCL that those cabins go fast. I am still surprised that there is one still left, by how they talked it up over the phone.

I still wouldn't go with the center. No balcony can be big enough if I have structure in front of me (that is a personal choice). These pics are Deck 9 and 10 center:

catFS_NVMA_060705_002-vi.jpg

aft_10JS_061216_001-vi.jpg

If you go stern on the Voager Class or Freedom Class I would go Deck 8 and Deck 9 corner

ft_93909690_balcony_061216_002-vi.jpg

ft_83908690_balcony_061216_002-vi.jpg

ft_13881688_balcony_061216_020-vi.jpg

I have my first stern balcony on the Freedom Class/Voyager Class in September. But it is a corner on Deck 8.

Like I said, it is a personal choice.

This is the rear of the Voyager of the Seas (a sister to the Explorer) ...

Voyageraft.jpg

Great picture. I have a corner aft on deck 7 of the Explorer in January. I am an aft fan myself too because of how quiet the hallway is and the huge balconies.

I almost made the mistake of booking one of these cabins before seeing how much more ship there was before aft actually started.

We just got off the EOS this morning, and I had an aft corner on deck ten. There were no vibrations to speak of, and more surprisingly, did not sound like I was right next to the falls of Niagara.

I have had both of the aft JS cabins on deck ten and would take them again in a heartbeat. HUGE balconies, very quiet and I had no issues at all with the superstructure. It did not block the view.

NavigatorOTS001.jpg

We had JS Aft Cabin 6692 on the Explorer -- loved it. Happened to rain a bit on our cruise but we could still sit outside. Also the balcony table was terrific --- first and only table high enough to sit and enjoy your meal.

Photos in the link below.

Kathy:D

DD and I just had a corner aft on Deck 9 of the Liberty. The good news was that there was less wind than by the pool. It was so windy a couple of days that it was almost impossible to sit by the pool because of the extremely strong winds - the deck chairs would hit you in the back and there was no setting down a drink because the wind would blow it over and trying to hold on to your reading material was something. It gave new definition to the phrase "working on a sun tan." We gave up and headed back to our balcony where we had a very nice breeze and sunning was a lot easier.

Seriously, I have had several aft balconies and I don't ever recall being breezeless.

We have sailed on both Navigator and Voyager. Navigator was deck 7 hump. thoroughly enjoyed it.

Voyager was JS aft deck 10 1st week and then E2 deck 8 corner aft 2nd week.

Have to say JS whilst a huge cabin with lovely views.... did not get much sun due to the overhanging closed in balcony roof structure - but if your not a sun worshipper or a large party of 4 then great just for chilling out on.

We much preferred the deck 8 corner cabin. Whilst it was diddy in size comparison to a JS, and only had a single door to the balcony, it easily accommodated the three of us with two recliners, two armchairs, table and the coffee table from the cabin!

We had originally had a deck 6 aft booked but got the option to move up. I think overall what made our balcony great on deck 8 was that it was on the corner - so much so that is what we have booked for 2009!

Regarding noise/vibration - I would say that compared to the hump cabin we did notice occasionally a slightly distant sort of humming noise and perhaps were aware sometimes of the propeller vibration as we pushed away from dock - overall it was not an annoying or iritating sensation in anyway and certainly not offputting. Perhaps on deck 6 you may get a slightly louder version of what we experienced?

Anyway I am sure you will enjoy the experience, where ever you end up!

Ruth1964:)

Thank you for all the advice! I will pass this info on to my husband. For now, this was the only Junior Suite left in this category. We were considering upgrading to a Grand Suite (so expensive) but for now, we will stick with our cabin on deck 6 and check with our travel agent in a few months as to whether or not any other cabins are availalbe based on cancellations.

I read somewhere that there is a big difference in the wind on the balcony as well. I love to feel the wind on the balcony. The stonger the better. Do you feel it on an aft balcony or is it calm?

It has a little breeze, but not much. To me that's fine because DW and I like to have breakfast out there most days.

If a good strong breeze is something you really enjoy, then the afts won't be as much fun for you.

warning, 2nd hand info! I hope to find out myself someday, but our tablemates aboard Voyager on Deck 6 aft loved the balcony but where annoyed by noise and vibration.

We now return you to more valuable information.

Thank you for all the advice! I will pass this info on to my husband. For now, this was the only Junior Suite left in this category. We were considering upgrading to a Grand Suite (so expensive) but for now, we will stick with our cabin on deck 6 and check with our travel agent in a few months as to whether or not any other cabins are availalbe based on cancellations.

Start checking the availability of cabins about two to three weeks prior to when final payment is due. That is when you will see cabins starting to open up due to cancellations.