Travelers at Risk

Snow Road Cruisers

Follow Celebrity Cruisers I seek you help,

First a fast background, my wife and I have taken over 20 cruises with Celebrity, being under the retirement age we attempt two cruisers a year, since the blessed event of becoming empty nesters occurred. We have had great trips and some not so great, 50 foot waves, hurricanes, missed ports, kidnapped on a ship scheduled shore excursion and several Clorox trips; but we love to cruise.

This past April on Mercury, traveling from California to Oregon, my first ever spa treatment was a disaster, the bed collapsed (a cotter pin on the bed was not inserted) and I sustained injuries. While we were at sea they arranged for my hospital treatments on port days and promised to make things right. I told them I just wanted them to pick up the medical cost, later I asked for the trip cost to be reimbursed also. My injuries, are fixed, my right arm usage has returned, my broken tooth was replace and except for the MRI showing disk damage, I have recovered.

On the ship the crew could not have been any nicer to my wife and I, flowers, calls, candy, etc, they admitted it was faulty training and retrained the crew and showed us the prevention plan. The promise was made to that as soon as we returned home all my completed forms, medical records and information would be sent to me. Now four months latter I have had to pay all the medical bills, and had to hire an attorney, by the hour, only to learn Celebrity and the Spa vendor will not pay penny one. If I sue them (we have never sued anyone) it will cost me thousands of dollars (my claim is not that big) with no guarantee of winning so I am currently only reviewing my options. Now comes my dilemma; a TV producer wants to do a “ratings piece” on how passenger cruise lines treat passengers when they become injured, how consumer protection is nil for every passenger and how the laws protect the ship owners; my story would be the central story – Travelers at Risk. I have mixed feelings, as these types of stories frighten the public and would hurt my favorite vacation experience. WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Snow Road Cruisers, What did you decided to do?

Snow Road Cruisers, What did you decided to do?

Thank you for inquiring, our finial action is still uncertain. The feedback from this thread provided less insight then we had hoped for, but still insightful; plus several calls from cruise mates, knowing us from past cruises, also provided some possible solutions and encouragement. We only wish Celebrity would be honorable and reimburse the medical bills, etc, as being out just under $20,000.00 should not be our “reward” for their equipment failure. Since you asked, what would you, or any reader, do?

I agree with Woodofpine. Also, I would have a long conversation with your attorney concerning what exactly is going on.

Example:

Is Celebrity refusing to pay because their contract w/ Elemis says that Elemis is responsible.

Is Celebrity refusing to pay all charges submitted by your attorney, if so are they willing to pay part?

Has you attorney even submitted a demand package to Celebrity?

Answering these questions may assist you in understanding the process that is going on. I agree that going to the media could definetly work against you rather than for you.

Best of luck in the future.

I too want to know if they had travel and medical insurance. Are you actually out any money for unpaid medical expenses? After years of cruising I had a minor issue and saw a doctor while on board. When I returned, I submitted bills to my PacifiCare medical provider. They paid all but a $35 emergency room fee. And the cruise insurance company will pay the the $35 fee.

Thank you for inquiring, our finial action is still uncertain. The feedback from this thread provided less insight then we had hoped for, but still insightful; plus several calls from cruise mates, knowing us from past cruises, also provided some possible solutions and encouragement. We only wish Celebrity would be honorable and reimburse the medical bills, etc, as being out just under $20,000.00 should not be our “reward” for their equipment failure. Since you asked, what would you, or any reader, do?

You are going after the wrong people. As I previous mentioned, you should be going after the SPA who is an independent contractor. They are not employees of Celebrity. I hope that you did purchase cruise insurance who would be able to pay for your doctor bills. It is a terrible shame that your cruise was ruined by this neglegent SPA employee.

Replies

Woodmnky

Is Celebrity refusing to pay because their contract w/ Elemis says that Elemis is responsible.

*They attempted to, except the table caused the injury and Celebrity owns the table, per Steiner.

Is Celebrity refusing to pay all charges submitted by your attorney, if so are they willing to pay part?

*All

Has you attorney even submitted a demand package to Celebrity?

*Yes

Jealdaka

Please clarify for me: If you have both medical insurance and travel insurance, why does neither one cover this?

*I did not have travel insurance of this trip. Personal coverage has a subrogation clause – see below.

fblack

I too want to know if they had travel and medical insurance. Are you actually out any money for unpaid medical expenses? After years of cruising I had a minor issue and saw a doctor while on board. When I returned, I submitted bills to my PacifiCare medical provider. They paid all but a $35 emergency room fee. And the cruise insurance company will pay the $35 fee.

* Insurance has a subrogation clause, as it was an accident that someone else is responsible for it is by option to use the insurance coverage but collect the money from the responsible party or not use the insurance; either way the insurance does not have to pay.

cysyl

You are going after the wrong people. As I previous mentioned, you should be going after the SPA who is an independent contractor. They are not employees of Celebrity. I hope that you did purchase cruise insurance who would be able to pay for your doctor bills. It is a terrible shame that your cruise was ruined by this neglegent SPA employee.

*The Spa equipment is owned by Celebrity thus Steiner is not legally responsible.

Thank you, what would you do? I am concerned about taking more cruises, I currently have three booked, wondering if Celebrity would be nasty to us onboard! :confused:

As others have stated, you have nothing to gain and maybe a lot to lose by talking to the media. I would say I am floored with Xs reaction, but have been dealing with cruise lines and hotels long enough to know, they don't always live up to their promises. I don't understand why your insurance, whether personal or travel will not pay your bills. That does seem pretty strange.

good luck,

Nita

ps now I see you did not have travel insurance. Boy, that might come back to haunt you, huh? As for your personal insurance, I am surprised....

NIta

Snow Road:

I disagree.

Most times the Subogation Clause lets the insurance company recover payments from a third party who caused the accident. It does not relieve them from paying a claim to you. You may have to help them recover the damages from a third party. If a passenger sues and wins damages, he has to repay the Insurer their payment. Also some states have laws amending the subrogation provisions in travel insurance policies.

They usually do have a co-ordination of benefits clause where you must go to your own medical insurer first.

I have never heard of anyone with decent travel insurance not being reimbursed for an accident that happened on a cruise ship if they went to the ships doctor.

• 1 year later...

I noticed on the spread sheet that you had stayed in cabin 2102 , I hope you do not mind but I will be in that cabin as well and was wondering if there is any noised from the adjoining ladies room I am worried about flushing , running water sounds , I like to nap in the afternoon while on vacation. I thank you for your input. Su Amiga

I noticed on the spread sheet that you had stayed in cabin 2102 , I hope you do not mind but I will be in that cabin as well and was wondering if there is any noised from the adjoining ladies room I am worried about flushing , running water sounds , I like to nap in the afternoon while on vacation. I thank you for your input. Su Amiga

Hi..wow, you must have done a search to find this thread....its 2 years

old:eek:

Wrong ship too. This was on Mercury, not Solstice class.

Yes I have tried every way to find the specific information I am looking for and I understand this thread is about a different ship but I am hoping snow road cruiser will respond despite this ..... Thanks Su Amiga

The best suggestion I can think of is to start a new thread

"SOLSTICE CABIN 2102". Hopefully you will receive some current

replies:)

You are ½ right, it does not make sense. When an injury occurs a d you are told they will cover the medical and reimburse for the trip / inconvenience and they latter tell you the only way to possibility to get reimbursed is to sue them – that does not make sense. The bottom line is less than $20,000 medical cost (in Florida) you can only sue for actual damages – no pain & suffering, etc.). The lawyers want paid by the hour as the most they would receive on a split is $10,000.00 an d I would still only get $10,000.00 to cover my $20,000.00 -- that does not make sense. Fact if you are injured at sea your normal medical coverage does cover you and travel insurance does not cover accidents just illness, at least on my policy. Should you be unfortunate enough to be injures at sea, make sure it is a BIG, long lasting, and a permanent injury;as a cracked skull, and damage to your back (proved with MRI) "soft tissue" cases are not worthy of the lawyers’ time and the cruise lines know it!

Sadly, it does make sense...if they admit and compensate you, it comes out of their pocket...if you sue them, their insurance carrier takes over the case and settles or fights it in court. It is what they pay premiums for.

Sorry, I answer this on the blog you asked the question on -- Andy's. If you are a lite sleeper taking a nap you may have slight noises, during the afternoon, we did and I really mean slight. Put an "out of order sign" on the restroom door or turn on the TV/muisc to block the sounds. We loved the room and have booked it again for a Europe trip.:)

What the rest of us can learn from all of this... is get promises in writing. Don't accept anything less. Verbal promises mean nothing once you get off that ship.

A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it is written on.

USA Today also has a staff person who investigates travel complaints and that might be a good way to get it resolved. Don't recall their name, but easily figured out on their website.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Every time DW or I get health care for something that might have been the result of an accident, our health insurance carrier contacts us for details. They always pay the bill, but then ask us how it occurred. We've never had one that could be blamed elsewhere, but suspect that if so, they'd be going after that company for the money. So my totally inexpert opinion is to file your claims with your health insurance company and then let their lawyers handle suing X or Steiner or whoever. If you do have back problems, this could become a chronic issue and it would help to have someone else doing the heavy legal labor. No, you're not likely to get payment for pain and suffering, but you might get an agreement that protects you from future deductibles and co-pays.

jg

Archived