PVSA modification rejected

Sundagger

For those of you following the Passenger Vessel Services Act proposed interpretation change regarding cruises to Hawaii (and potentially elsewhere), there is good news. Except for NCL-America. The Federal OMB has rejected the proposed changes, which effectively kills the proposal for this year, and quite possibly forever.

"PORTLAND, Maine—A federal agency has failed to justify a proposal targeting foreign cruise ships visiting Hawaii that critics say would have altered cruise ship itineraries and imperiled tourism dollars and jobs, both in Hawaii and on the mainland, the White House ruled.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection filed the proposal late last year aimed at protecting U.S.-flagged cruise ships operating from Hawaii by reducing foreign ships' time in the islands, but critics said it would have led to fewer cruise ship visits at mainland ports as well."

The whole story is at: http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2008/08/15/controversial_cruise_ship_proposal_rejected/

The CC news article is at: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2728

And that's exactly what should have happened. (Although, in today's political climate I was afraid that the outrageous proposal would be upheld in some fashion or another.) Common sense from a Federal agency. How refreshing! ;)

Thank you for the update! I was beginning to wonder what the status was of this idiotic scheme. Glad to read that good sense prevailed in the government. A rare but welcomed occurance, if you ask me!

Now I can start thinking about another Hawaii cruise on HAL. :)

Is NCL in favor of this because this will give them a monopoly over the Hawaiian Islands? In the one article it stated that NCL had to move 2 of their 3 ships to another location because they couldn't compete with the other foreign cruise lines. So they want all the cruisers who want to visit the islands? If so, I'm glad it failed.

It's dead? :confused: Really and truly dead? :confused: Absolutely, positively dead? :confused: You're sure? :confused:

:D Yippee!!!!! :D

It's dead for this year. With a new administration coming into office it could always rise again next year but hopefully they will have some sense and see the idiocy of it as well.

It's dead? :confused: Really and truly dead? :confused: Absolutely, positively dead? :confused: You're sure? :confused:

:D Yippee!!!!! :D

Technically, no. NCL would like it to be reconsidered, but with this administration departing in 5 months, that is highly unlikely to happen. Since it only benefits one cruise ship at the expense of several cruise lines and numerous West Coast ports, it doesn't seem likely to be of much concern to the next administration.

Most people seem to think that 14-15 day cruises from the West Coast are really not in competition with the 7 day intra-island cruise that NCL-A provides. Not a lot of overlap in the prospective markets. It will be interesting to see if the last NCL-A ship continues past this year.

I think it will be OBE by next year because NCL-A will fold under the pressure of making a profit.

I am just happy I can now relax and enjoy my Hawaii Cruise from San Diego in October. Sixty-seven days and counting!! :D

Very good news as we have a Feb. Hawaii cruise! We did add days on either end as insurance in case this change happened and also due to possible flight changes. The extra days are fine as we'll have more time in San Diego.

Archived